IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone driven the g37? How does it compare?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 08:38 AM
maxnix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jecko714
agree...i think it looks just like the altima coupe
In pictures, it does, but in person, the Altima coupe looks more like a Reatta. It is a poseur coupe for the masses.
Old 08-29-07, 09:20 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Nice car! Love the placement of the rear license plate. Low and hidden. Lets the trunks have more clean lines. Those 19" tires do look big with the thick sidewalls.

Magellan why don't you meet up with someone here with their IS350. We could have our own exclusive race comparo.
Well, I’m not one for racing, but sooner or later some publication will print the 0-60 and ¼ mile times for both cars. That should answer the question.
Old 08-29-07, 09:24 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

prob. going to get flamed here butttttt, doesn't the fron look like a Tiberon

Old 08-29-07, 09:46 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bolaber
Haha.. i used to see on the streets when people put nissan badges on their g35's all the time. I wonder if people will still do that....
The only people who have done that are those trying to make their coupe look like a Nissan Skyline GT 350 (sold in Japan), on which the Infiniti G35 coupe is based. To me it’s a silly notion, but there’s no accounting for taste. Perhaps someone now will re-badge their G37 to look like a Skyline GT370. I have no idea why anyone would be foolish enough to downgrade their car from an Infiniti to a Nissan, or for that matter, debadge their G37 so it looks more like the Altima coupe. I don’t understand why people do these things.
Old 08-29-07, 09:50 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
The only people who have done that are those trying to make their coupe look like a Nissan Skyline GT 350 (sold in Japan), on which the Infiniti G35 coupe is based. To me it’s a silly notion, but there’s no accounting for taste. Perhaps someone now will re-badge their G37 to look like a Skyline GT370. I have no idea why anyone would be foolish enough to downgrade their car from an Infiniti to a Nissan, or for that matter, debadge their G37 so it looks more like the Altima coupe. I don’t understand why people do these things.
Well people put the Altezza badging on the 1IS so I guess it's a JDM thing
Old 08-29-07, 10:33 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I have always thought the G35 was an awesome looking car, but unfortunately like BMW Infiniti never could figure out how to do interiors right. Looks like they made a vast improvement with the G37 though... So it might be a very cool all around package now.
Old 08-29-07, 12:32 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bolaber
Haha.. i used to see on the streets when people put nissan badges on their g35's all the time. I wonder if people will still do that....
Not just any 'nissan', they put on skyline badging. Forget the G/350z I wouldn't mind having a genuine JDM skyline in my garage . . .
Old 08-29-07, 12:41 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chigger
I think the G35s look more aggressive.
Totally agree and I like this one (G37) so much better. Sometimes aggressiveness is overrated, epecially when it comes to styling luxury cars(think: BMW 6 series trunklid hemmoroid). As mid-cycle restyles go (the interior, especially the dashboard nav presentation is just ugly) I'd say Infiniti pretty much hit one out of the park with this one. The one element that I really like is the new rear intergrated spoiler and the way it draws the eye away from the oversized rear bumper without the winglet of the G35c.

Last edited by CRB; 08-29-07 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 02:09 PM
bolaber
Driver School Candidate

I went to test drive a g37 journey coupe today and fell in love with it. The leather is no where as nice as the is350's but i love the exhaust note.. i love the coupe.. i love the new dash and omgz the 19' wheels with 14' brake calipurs is orgasmic.

I tried to negotiate and went to several dealerships and made several phone calls but the best deal i could get was 2 year free maintence and free window tint. I put $1000 down (refundable) and the car will be in the Sept 11th ( -_- crazy date)
Thank you guys so much for the support. I love the is350 but i just dont feel its justified purchase when i drive down the street and see a whole bunch of is250's... (and 90% of them are girls, no offense to any of them).

Anyways in the end i got the G37 Journey with premium and sports package.

Last edited by bolaber; 08-29-07 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 02:25 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I love Lexus and Jesus do I love my Lexus but I'm sorry I went and drove it yesterday and I was rendered speechless. The acceleration is beautiful the brakes are gorgeous and the interior is a step up but nothing like Lexus. I would go with the G37 without thinking twice.
Old 08-29-07, 02:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I strongly considered the G35 (the new 07 one) and the G37 before ordering my IS350. The G looks great on the outside...The IS350 is vastly nicer on the inside. I spent a lot more time inside the car than staring at the outside though, so I ordered the Lexus.

(there's other reasons, like vastly better overall quality and reliability, the G35 throttle was very jerky, and a few others, but that reason is the one that keeps coming to mind everyone someone comments how nice the G looks and how much better the IS350 interior is)
Old 08-29-07, 03:43 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Drive one? I took delivery of one on Friday. It’s a G37 Journey with premium and nav packages.

I was also considering a new IS350, but having two IS’s in the garage seemed odd, so I went with the Infiniti. Having leased the G35 from the same dealer, it was a simple matter of driving it to their customer parking, tossing them the keys, and signing off on the new one ( I purchased this time).
Congrats on your new G37. Since you now own an IS and a G please give us your feedback as you live with the G as to how it stacks up to the IS (good or bad). That will be a good comparison, rather than just hearing from people who own one or the other.
Old 08-29-07, 04:34 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Ah but the true comparison would be a IS350 vs G37, his wife's car is a 250, so we won't get a true performance comparison there . . .
Old 08-29-07, 06:18 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ Ah but the true comparison would be a IS350 vs G37, his wife's car is a 250, so we won't get a true performance comparison there . . .
That’s true, our IS250 doesn’t have near the power of my G37. But there’s other areas where a comparison is valid:

Ride and handling: The G37 has the edge.
Workmanship: I believe they’re about the same. Infiniti is doing better.
Quietness: Again the G is surprisingly quiet compared to the IS250
Instrument cluster: They both do about the same, in terms of information windows like outside air temp, MPG, gear, miles to go, etc. The new G37 dash is quite improved, but in the end, the IS is still better.
Exhaust note: No contest, the IS250 really has none, where the G37 has that wonderful throaty sound.
Navigation: This was a real surprise to me. The G37’s system is more advanced. The screens are more informative (i.e., every voice command is listed) and the graphics are great with slick 3D for on and off ramps. That center wheel/button thing allows one to keep their greasy fingers off the screen. As I said in another post, I could probably input a destination via voice command as fast as a hacker could manually input his.
Other features: With the G you get XM satellite radio as part of the premium package (free for 3 months). Now I can get instant traffic information on the nav screen which is great. Also the package gave me memory seat adjustment (that links to the intelligent key for my setting) on the driver’s side, something I couldn’t get on our California IS. There are other things that just weren’t available on our IS, like heated side mirrors, and a auto tilt and telescoping steering wheel. The G does lack the MPH and RPM rings that I like on our IS.
Seating Comfort: The IS is a bit more roomier especially for front headroom. And as cramped as the IS rear seating is, the G is worse, of course. You couldn’t put more than small kids back there. The IS trunk is also larger. But that's what you get with a coupe.

That’s all I can think of for now. But feel free to ask more questions.
Old 08-29-07, 08:37 PM
MPstyle
Driver

The G37 does look like the new altima coupe, alot. Not as good looking as the concept photo someone posted ealier. The side intakes make a huge difference. Personally I would take a G35 with the kenstyle kit and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Has anyone driven the g37? How does it compare?