IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ISX50 Aftermarket Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 04:05 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISX50 Aftermarket Alarm

I know this should be in the Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics forum but I didn't get much response there. Since this forum is more "populated" can you guys/ladies help me on decide on an awesome aftermarket alarm that can still be used with the keyless entry and also have shock senors? Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by iceman1117; 08-20-07 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 04:16 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

I am curious as to why you woud want an aftermarket alarm system. What will it do that the Lexus System will not?
Old 08-20-07, 04:26 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cancellino
I am curious as to why you woud want an aftermarket alarm system. What will it do that the Lexus System will not?
Well there are alot of reason as to why I would want an aftermarket alarm. Some reasons being shock/tilt sensors, Failsafe Starter Kill, auto pager notifiying me when my alarm has triggered, louder siren. Dont get me wrong I think the lexus alarm is great from factory but I just want more than locking doors and a honking horn.
Old 08-20-07, 04:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

your car has an alarm. is it worth it to tear into the OEM wiring?????
you'll probably do more harm than good with aftermarket alarms.

anyway - the OEM alarm is fine --- and then you have insurance....that's what its for.
Old 08-20-07, 05:08 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have installed alarms and in my opinion the shock sensor is a waste of time, because of the false alarms from trucks, other cars etc. .. if a someone is going to break a window, hopefully they will open the door to get in, since the 2IS windows are quite small.. and in that case the stock alarm will be doing its job.

Other things that would be more useful is tilt sensor.. to stop someone from jacking wheels.

The remote paging .. well the range usually aren't great, (some just work about 1/4 of a mile) most of the time is paging you turn off the false alarm of the shock sensor.

Other than that, I wouldn't want to tear into a Lexus just to add an alarm. Honks are usually louder than the stock sirens from alarm kits anyway.
Old 08-20-07, 06:27 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would never dream of hacking my OEM wiring...
Old 08-20-07, 06:40 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Wow I didn't think I was going to get this reaction. One of my friends did an aftermarket alarm on his IS350 and it works great. He didn't loss the keyless entry and his car functions perfectly but after all the feedback I am getting from you guys its making me think twice about it. I understand the part about getting false alarms from the shock senor due to bass, trucks, horns, etc. but cant the sensitivity level be adjusted to tolerate those sounds put still go off if the car is tampered with? I still appreciate all the feedback and concerns I am getting. Thanks.
Old 08-20-07, 07:00 PM
JCIS250RWD
Rookie

the only after market alarm i would add would be the Clifford black jack system. If you not familiar that system has a small two button keypad that you put a code into to start the car, and also has a setting that whenever a door is opened and then closed you have 30 seconds or the car shuts down. I think this would be a great addition with the Lexus OEM keyless Entry system. I know their is a huge discussion about leaving the car running without the fob inside, and this could solve that problem.
Old 08-21-07, 09:39 AM
el3ctone
Pole Position

then ure keyless button less entry won't be much use anymore
Old 08-21-07, 09:47 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

I want an alarm that'll go off anytime someone leans on, sits on, bumps into, or does anything that might remotely screw up the paint. Does the Lexus alarm do that? A kid sitting on the hood and scratching it or the neighborhood kids playing around it and bumping into it causing minor damage is much more of a worry to me than it getting stolen. Yes it makes me mad to think that some people just have no respect for other people's property and treat other cars as they do their own.
Old 08-21-07, 10:29 AM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdanon
I want an alarm that'll go off anytime someone leans on, sits on, bumps into, or does anything that might remotely screw up the paint. Does the Lexus alarm do that? A kid sitting on the hood and scratching it or the neighborhood kids playing around it and bumping into it causing minor damage is much more of a worry to me than it getting stolen. Yes it makes me mad to think that some people just have no respect for other people's property and treat other cars as they do their own.
No, the lexus alarm will not detect that since it does not have tilt/ shock senors. Thats another reason why I am looking for something more than just the stock alarm.
Old 08-21-07, 10:47 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman1117
Well there are alot of reason as to why I would want an aftermarket alarm. Some reasons being shock/tilt sensors, Failsafe Starter Kill, auto pager notifiying me when my alarm has triggered, louder siren. Dont get me wrong I think the lexus alarm is great from factory but I just want more than locking doors and a honking horn.
IMO I would not mess with the alarm at all.
Installing an aftermarket alarm = opening a can of worms.....
expcially with a $35K+ car? not a good idea......
you might have more headaches down the road and warranty issues.....
Old 08-21-07, 04:15 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

I understand about the shock and tilt sensors as well as the other goodies; my problem with "alarms" in general, is when it is going off, it is usually too late. IMO most people are so used to hearing them that they don't react other than it's a nusance.

Once, I had an alarm that would "chirp" if you hit the car it was cool until someone figured they could keep hitting the car and make it chirp. I think that the Lexus Alarm is fine and really, if [they] want it that bad they can have it.