IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brake Dust -- Just like German Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 04:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake Dust -- Just like German Cars?

I know many CL'ers that have had the Brake TSB done say they don't notice much difference in the braking performance. But, I was thinking, I see BMWs, Audi's, Benz's, etc. with plenty of brake dust, and it's been that way for years. There must be a reason Lexus went with these brakes, even though they produce dust. Do European makes offer substitute pads to reduce dust?
Old 08-14-07, 05:56 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most BMW and Audi drivers buy their cars for performance/handling reasons, thus they are willing to deal with a little brake dust if it means they'll stop a foot shorter.

lexus=luxury, and I guess people expect brakes not to give off a lot of dust??

Doesn't bother me at all. I love cleaning my car, and am more than happy to take the time to wash the rims
Old 08-14-07, 07:06 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

They won't stop a foot shorter, and SAE noted this is a chief complaint area for European car buyers in the US. Their service advisors are better at forcing their customers to accept a lot of dust as normal. Anyone who actually knows anything about brake pads chucks the OEM pads for Hawk HPS, Carbotech, or Porterfield brake pads with less dust and equal performance. Lexus was just nice to us and decided they would take care of it instead of forcing us to use aftermarket parts.
Old 08-14-07, 08:11 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They won't stop a foot shorter, and SAE noted this is a chief complaint area for European car buyers in the US. Their service advisors are better at forcing their customers to accept a lot of dust as normal. Anyone who actually knows anything about brake pads chucks the OEM pads for Hawk HPS, Carbotech, or Porterfield brake pads with less dust and equal performance. Lexus was just nice to us and decided they would take care of it instead of forcing us to use aftermarket parts.
Equal? I am about to switch mine and was hoping for better performance out of those you mentioned, otherwise I'll just do the TSIB.
Old 08-14-07, 09:00 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
SAE noted this is a chief complaint area for European car buyers in the US. Their service advisors are better at forcing their customers to accept a lot of dust as normal.
That brings up the next question.....Why do US drivers of performance cars (European or Japanese) complain about the brake dust when European drivers accept it? Is it because Europeans drive their cars harder in more challenging situations and appreciate the brake performance more? And US drivers are more into the look of the car rather than the performance? Just wondering why the markets react differently.

Are pads with less brake dust more expensive? If they are similarly priced and offer comparable performance I wonder why manufacturers just don't go to the pads with less dust. But maybe the Europeans would then complain that the braking isn't as good since they are not seeing dust. There just would seem to be some fundamental reason why manufacturers seem to choose pads that make dust as OEM. Is it price or performance driving the selection?

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-14-07 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-14-07, 01:21 PM
ewelty
Driver School Candidate

Before the IS350, my last 3 cars were BMWs, 2 3-series and a Z4. The brake dust is just part of living with them. Say what you will, but it only took one emergency stop where I missed another car by about 2 inches that I stopped griping about dust and learned to live with the braking system. I guess those cars trained me to live the IS350 and the constantly dirty rims.
Old 08-14-07, 01:32 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ewelty
Before the IS350, my last 3 cars were BMWs, 2 3-series and a Z4. The brake dust is just part of living with them. Say what you will, but it only took one emergency stop where I missed another car by about 2 inches that I stopped griping about dust and learned to live with the braking system. I guess those cars trained me to live the IS350 and the constantly dirty rims.
^^^^^ Agree in other brands of cars.

But dont forget about the LEXUS Slogan:

The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection

When you see the car with clean rear wheels vs. dirty front wheels covered with brake dust will not be considered as "PERFECT".......

That's the dilemma?!
Old 08-14-07, 02:59 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just live with my dust. I don't drive hard enough to hopefully ever need their full potential, but I'd hate to throw away a perfectly good set of parts I paid for that's in working condition.

I know some members here are obsessed enough with their cars to be washing it once every 1 or 2 weeks, so hopefully those aren't the same members complaining about the dust since they wash weekly anyway...
Old 08-14-07, 10:33 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

i got the TSIB done and love not having dust anymore. The breaking performance is the same...well almost...maybe a little worse but its still very good. I had them do the TSIB last wed. and its been a week now and the front wheels are still just as clean as the back ones!!! I like driving around a clean car and the performance price isn't really effected to much. If I noticed a substantial differance I would have taken it back and told them to put the old type back on.

My .02 is to just get it done and live with a clean car.
Old 08-15-07, 12:29 AM
fdelement
Driver

IMO hating brake dust is like hating CO2 that comes out of your car, its normal! All aggressive brake pads produce brake dust.
Old 08-15-07, 01:51 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

question: i wanna keep the current pads. so when i take my car in for new brake pads. do they put the new ones or keep the current ones.?
Old 08-15-07, 08:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I, for one, will not keep OEM brake pads if they were too dusty.

I'm happy Lexus had an alternative brake pad for the IS. I hope others provide the option as well.

And that's all that it is: an option. Lexus has it. Hopefully, the competitors can provide some as well...
Old 08-15-07, 02:51 PM
VF84
Pole Position

i've only had less than 100 miles on it and the rims are already dusty.. seems kinda excessive compared to my other cars.
Old 08-15-07, 03:13 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

I have had the TSIB done for almost 2 months now. Argue all you want breaking is just as good and it actually saved me multiples of times without having to look at caked up rims.