IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Want to Change the Green LEDS in the Console?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 06:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default Want to Change the Green LEDS in the Console?

So, I spilled a latte in the car today - not a lot, just a little, but I didn't want to have a rotten latte smell in the car. So I removed the center console to clean everything up. Just in case anyone is wondering, the cup holder will hold a couple of ounces of liquid, but if it overflows, there is a little catch all below the door, and there is no way to clean it without removing the console - can you say moldy old coffee? I knew you could.

So back to the real topic. I said I would investigate what it would take to change the LEDs in the console from the current (soooo 20th century) green to some other color. I wanted to scope the job before I ordered any parts or fired up the smoldering iron, so I figured heck, I've already got the console out, I might as well pull the face off the nav and take a peek. I also figured I'd finally answer the burning question about moving the power socket in the storage compartment to better suit those tall adapters.

First, the adapter move is a total no how, no way, without compromising the ducts for the rear ventilation. Here's why:

There's really just no room to put it in any other way. At the rear side is the outer wall of the duct for the rear seat ventilation system. You would have to decide to cut off the air to your passengers to move the power connection. For all the hardwired audio fans, I disconnected the seconardary connector going into the aux input in the next picture. Way too many connectors in this setup for my taste.

So all this is well and good, but what does it have to do with the console LEDs you ask. Good point. Nothing at all except I had the camera and the parts out of the car. I'm sure it will be helpful to someone, somewhere, somehow.

The next pic is the back of the front panel of the audio system. I'll explain why it isn't the nav system shortly.

Here's a picture of the front after removing the finish panel. The screws are what hold the inside piece to the outside piece. They're #1 phillips, and pretty small.

Next is a closer view of the LEDs themselves. It's hard to accurately gauge their size from a picture though.

Here's a pic with a real reference to get a good idea how small these LEDs really are.

Finally, a really close up shot of the 1mm gap, and the LED.

So, a couple of things; first, I didn't take the face off the nav unit. I didn't want to disconnect the face with power to the rest of it because I really don't know what might happen, and I don't want to bet $5k that everything will be just fine. I didn't want to disconnect the unit because I have a LOT of stuff programmed in it now, and I'm new to Atlanta - I really NEED my memory points and previous destinations to work for me.

Second - I know 10 years ago, I would have just swapped out those LEDs. I had access to SMD soldering equipment, and my near vision was stellar. I no longer have access to the coolio soldering gear, and my eyesight (predictably) suffers from presbyopia, so those tiny little guys are going to stay green unless I decide I just can't live with it anymore and I have someone I know and trust remove and replace those microscopic little bugs with another color (I would probably want white to go with the combination meter.)

Anyway, this post turned out to be a tad long, but hopefully there's some value in it for someone contemplating an LED swap for the console.
Old 08-04-07, 07:06 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not too good with electrical and I was one of those that was comtemplating to do this but I guess I wont be
Old 08-04-07, 07:34 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not really sure what you expect to accomplish here. Seems like a lot of work for ..... what?? Just a different color? Seems like way, way too much work for the change. It's not something I would attempt.....ever. Cost / benefit ratio doesn't make sense, imo.
Old 08-04-07, 07:56 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Have you seen it in blue?!?!?! Its so nice!!! But I do agree it is a lot of work.
Old 08-04-07, 08:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

^^not sure what the point of your post is. You wouldn't do it. OK, so you want to tell everyone I wasted my time and how could I be so foolish to consider doing something that is so fundamentally useless?

Sorry, I'm just not seeing a value add to what you said here.

FWIW, I intensely disliked the amber LEDs in my Scion tC and I replaced them with red (by myself) which I found to be vastly improved especially for my night vision. If the ISx50 used the same LEDs I would do it again because the green is IMHO unpleasant.
Old 08-04-07, 08:05 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
^^not sure what the point of your post is. You wouldn't do it. OK, so you want to tell everyone I wasted my time and how could I be so foolish to consider doing something that is so fundamentally useless?

FWIW, I intensely disliked the amber LEDs in my Scion tC and I replaced them with red (by myself) which I found to be vastly improved especially for my night vision. If the ISx50 used the same LEDs I would do it again because the green is IMHO unpleasant.
Me??? I like the idea of changing them
Old 08-04-07, 08:08 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Point of my post was the effort to do this is very high for the change. That's just my opinion. If you feel it is worthwhile I'm not telling you not to do it. Change to your hearts content. Green lights at night are a long term standard as they are a good, soothing color and suit most situations. If you don't like them change them to red, blue, purple or any other color that works better for you. Don't post if you don't expect personal opinions.
Old 08-04-07, 08:09 PM
SILVER IS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of removing the leds, why not try to put some kind of mask over it? Like a blue piece of foil or something to that effect. It might be a cheap safe way then to remove the actual led.
Old 08-04-07, 08:12 PM
ShoFly
Rookie

I think this would be a drastic change and a well worthy mod pending cost factors. I would definitely like to see somebody accomplish this!
Old 08-04-07, 08:15 PM
SILVER IS
Rookie

Whoever is brave enough to do this, post some pixs.
Old 08-04-07, 08:23 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Its already been done.
Old 08-04-07, 08:30 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SILVER IS
Whoever is brave enough to do this, post some pixs.
Theres is a pic of one in blue somewhere in this forum from someone in japan.

luboxracer was cleaning out his spillage, he just went the extra step to show what would be involved if you want to changed your led's since lite mods are so popular here. (not much other mods we can do lites/rims/drop/coilovers/catback/intake/subs)

THEREFORE a proper response,

Thx luboxracer for the info, that was very informative
Old 08-04-07, 08:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Point of my post was the effort to do this is very high for the change. That's just my opinion. If you feel it is worthwhile I'm not telling you not to do it. Change to your hearts content. Green lights at night are a long term standard as they are a good, soothing color and suit most situations. If you don't like them change them to red, blue, purple or any other color that works better for you. Don't post if you don't expect personal opinions.
No, they're not a long time standard because they're easy on the eyes. The aircraft night standard is red and has been since before we were both born because it is the BEST color for retaining your night vision.

My point is, you persist in posting negative comments regarding what people would or would not do to their cars. Why? Your post did not add anything but a negative comment. Why? Why not just ignore the thread and move on? I didn't request anyone's opinion when I started this thread, and I'm not asking for one now. So, I don't care how you feel about it as it relates to you. I posted this to show anyone considering this mod that it NOT simple like the tC mod was, and anyone considering it needs to either BE skilled or KNOW SOMEONE who is skilled to get this done.
Old 08-04-07, 08:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Evitzee
...Don't post if you don't expect personal opinions.
Don't post personal opinions if I (the OP) didn't request them. I surely did not ask anyone for an opinion in this thread.
Old 08-04-07, 09:17 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Cool post lobuxracer, thanks for the pics. I have wondered how hard this would be too. I remember when I hung around on the SC400 forums O.L.T. was great at doing all these color changing led mods. He would be a great person to ask about this too. I'm sure he could do this without any trouble.

I would also like to have white at night instead of the green.

Quick Reply: Want to Change the Green LEDS in the Console?