Why do when I "DIY", I break things...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 02:16 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, I changed my AC filter.

Upon retrieving the AC filter tray, the top hinged cover suddenly "popped" and is no longer held down firmly. It just flops about now.

What happened here?

How come when I do my own DIY maintenance, I end up breaking something, causing twice the hassle and cost to replace?

Needed to vent. I'm sooo frustrated, I want to break something, but I already did...
even an experienced meahanics (I dont mean those grease monky) break things too....the difference is that YOU DONT SEE IT!

so next time, find a buddy (preferably a mechanic) to do it for you...... you will feel MUCH BETTER !

thanks for sharing your experience....i am pretty sure you wont be the last one who broke that thing, but at least all the people who read this thread know what not to do.......

Last edited by kickin8; 08-03-07 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 11:03 AM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OK, since this is a therapy thread, yeah, I did it too. And I broke the shaft with the arm on it that controls the door just like you did. That's how I knew to ask that question. HOWEVER, I took the arm off, drilled a hole down the center of the shaft and installed a 2" long sheet metal screw right through the center of the shaft instead of spending beaucoup dinero on a new assembly. It works like a champ.

I'll bet you were prying the door open and it was almost there, then you heard a click like it released and you opened it up like nothing, eh?

If you were anywhere near me I'd say bring it by and we'll share a cold beverage while we fix your issue and commiserate on how we could be so ignorant and ignore the owner's manual for something so simple. If it has been anything complicated I would have consulted the FSM...
Wow. I wish I would read this before poking around in there. Well it happened to me too in my GS350. Your fix... did it require removing the whole AC system to get to the blower? I'm looking at the service manual, and that requires you to remove everything in the dash to replace that part. Please give me some insight.

Thanks.

Last edited by wingster; 10-19-07 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-19-07, 07:57 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on AC Blend door

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
OK, since this is a therapy thread, yeah, I did it too. And I broke the shaft with the arm on it that controls the door just like you did. That's how I knew to ask that question. HOWEVER, I took the arm off, drilled a hole down the center of the shaft and installed a 2" long sheet metal screw right through the center of the shaft instead of spending beaucoup dinero on a new assembly. It works like a champ....
I did the same stupid thing as well.....do you happen to have some "dumbed" down instructions for how to fix it?
Old 12-19-07, 08:20 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

you have to gentle with her.. you are being too rough sir.. =)
Old 12-19-07, 09:11 PM
scawacs
Driver

SAME! haha.... now i just leave the work to the pros. another alternative is to call pocky
Old 12-19-07, 10:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Doh. Come on man...lesson learned here. DDIY - Don't Do It Yourself.
Old 12-20-07, 10:54 AM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Default Should have learned but.....

Originally Posted by flipside909
Doh. Come on man...lesson learned here. DDIY - Don't Do It Yourself.
Ya, I should have learned my lesson, but I am extremely thick headed... Besides, how much would have been taught on here had someone not tried somtething and failed.....I just don;t like it to be me, especially after others have.....
Old 12-20-07, 11:38 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Dont do it alone!
Old 12-24-07, 05:54 PM
warhummer
Driver School Candidate

I just buggered up my blend door as well. This was the second time I replaced the filter and I didn't remember seeing the door in the way before, so I went ahead and jammed it open.

Sheared the stinking plastic post which connects to the door. In the course of trying different epoxies, I found out it's either polyethylene or polyoxymethylene, neither of which bonds to most adhesives very well. I have some special 3M stuff coming that might work, but I think I might try the drill trick.

Of course they make the door part of a $600+ blower assembly so a cheap replacement is out of the question.
Old 12-24-07, 06:21 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

You guys need good supervisors. lol

When I lowered my car I had my cousin who lowered his car help me out when needed. But then again I have had some experience in working on suspension from before with my civic.
Old 01-09-08, 09:47 AM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

how hard would it have been to put a stupid sticker on that vent and clearly state"PUT A/C SYSTEM ON RECIRCULATE TO CHANGE CABIN FILTER"
Old 01-09-08, 09:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey2007
how hard would it have been to put a stupid sticker on that vent and clearly state"PUT A/C SYSTEM ON RECIRCULATE TO CHANGE CABIN FILTER"
Unfortunately, it may be to prevent DIY, so that dealers can profit by providing service (at a rate of $80 an hour).
Old 01-09-08, 09:56 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Thank god we don't get taxed for the service hrs. Imagine if that happened
Old 01-09-08, 11:37 AM
varok
Driver

This happend to me just couple weeks ago. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it at no charge
Old 01-09-08, 05:49 PM
BobsGX
Racer

After reading all this, does it say to put the system in recirculate mode to change the filter in the owners or service manuals? I would hope so.

Quick Reply: Why do when I "DIY", I break things...