IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

24/7 Xenons are on (auto setting)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 01:49 PM
CentrumP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24/7 Xenons are on (auto setting)?

Hello! For some reason on "auto" setting, the main headlights are on every time of the day (morning, afternoon with lots o sun, night). The only mods I have done to my car are replace my sill plates with illuminated plates and replace my stock puddle lamp bulbs with blue leds. I called the dealership to set an appointment next week to see if they can figure out why my headlights are on all the time (not the daytime running lights, the xenon).

Does anyone know why my headlights are on 24/7? (any possibilities are welcome) And... does replacing the puddle lamp leds void some 4 year warranty and will able them to revoke it? (or can they not revoke warranty...)

Thanks!
Old 07-24-07, 02:06 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Just a thought but maybe the light sensor is being blocked by something.
Old 07-24-07, 02:16 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats my first guess too. someone correct me if im wrong but the sensor should be near the wipers. i could be wrong, but just look in the owners manual.
Old 07-24-07, 02:39 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

I believe there is a way to adjust sensitivity of that light sensor and perhaps yours is set to keep them on with any amount of light and thats why they are staying on all the time. I am not sure if that adjustment can be made by the owner though or if its something that the dealer has to adjust.
Old 07-24-07, 02:58 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
I believe there is a way to adjust sensitivity of that light sensor and perhaps yours is set to keep them on with any amount of light and thats why they are staying on all the time. I am not sure if that adjustment can be made by the owner though or if its something that the dealer has to adjust.
It has to be set by the dealer. Allegedly, mine was set to "1" (most sensitive) when I purchased, and it's not even close to being on all the time. (I know for a fact that one of my other LPS was not correctly set, though, so I'm not sure if my light sensitivity is a 1 or a 3).

Would there be any way you cut a wire going to the light sensor in doing your mods? Do your dash lights and nav screen dim at night?
Old 07-24-07, 03:08 PM
CentrumP
Driver School Candidate

Hahahahaha... i have my front license plate up on the dashboard so... it was covering the light sensor... thanks guys
Old 07-24-07, 03:46 PM
yogi350
Rookie

Originally Posted by CentrumP
Hahahahaha... i have my front license plate up on the dashboard so... it was covering the light sensor... thanks guys
Haha NICE, i love the forum, cause ppl just figure out the problems after hearing the most random solutions.
Old 07-24-07, 05:16 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Wow, thats not very safe... I dont know about TX, but here in CA thats not a legal way to display your front license plate (although have the ricers driving '95 civic CRXs think it is).
Old 07-24-07, 05:31 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

Just keep them on. The longer your Xenons(hid's) are on the more blue it will become overtime. I never turn off my headlights and now i can honestly say my Headlights are pristine white/blue with about 1000 hours burn time. Don't worry about wasting or blowing out your bulbs most HID bulbs can outlive the life of the car.
Old 07-26-07, 07:06 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

HID's will colorshift with time,while it may look more appealing than that of the brilliant white/yellow they put out brand new, you gotta remember that the blue you are getting also means your bulb is getting old/is broken in and not as bright as the day you bought it

and most HID bulbs life is avg 3000 hours, and well being a lexus i am pretty sure it would be easy to see a bulb go before you see the car do
Old 07-27-07, 04:47 AM
kindred6ul
Driver

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
HID's will colorshift with time,while it may look more appealing than that of the brilliant white/yellow they put out brand new, you gotta remember that the blue you are getting also means your bulb is getting old/is broken in and not as bright as the day you bought it

and most HID bulbs life is avg 3000 hours, and well being a lexus i am pretty sure it would be easy to see a bulb go before you see the car do
Agreed...Although the 3000hrs lifespan is accurate i've been using HID for quite some time now with multiple cars and I can honestly say that most of the HID i own are well over the 3000hrs lifespan maybe even double that. Im also somewhat of an HID retrofitter so i have about 4 pairs of d2s and d2r bulbs laying around the house. I have yet to blow a single bulb in 7 years. When i purchased this car the first thing i did was spark up the headlights and just kept them on with the intention of burning them to a less green/yellow look. 9 months later with the headlights constantly in the ON position im somwhere between 5100-5250 k at this point and i've driven next to a brand spankin new IS 350 and already noticed the lumen decrease maybe less than 15 percent. Oh BTW d4s bulbs have a higher lumen output than the d2s/r which is closer to 2900 lm as opposed to 2500.
Old 07-27-07, 06:56 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol you lucky you figured it out before running around trying to fix something that isnt' broke .
Old 07-27-07, 05:12 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kindred6ul
Agreed...Although the 3000hrs lifespan is accurate i've been using HID for quite some time now with multiple cars and I can honestly say that most of the HID i own are well over the 3000hrs lifespan maybe even double that. Im also somewhat of an HID retrofitter so i have about 4 pairs of d2s and d2r bulbs laying around the house. I have yet to blow a single bulb in 7 years. When i purchased this car the first thing i did was spark up the headlights and just kept them on with the intention of burning them to a less green/yellow look. 9 months later with the headlights constantly in the ON position im somwhere between 5100-5250 k at this point and i've driven next to a brand spankin new IS 350 and already noticed the lumen decrease maybe less than 15 percent. Oh BTW d4s bulbs have a higher lumen output than the d2s/r which is closer to 2900 lm as opposed to 2500.
yea that is all very true, all depends, if you have them in a good set of sealed headlights, hooked onto a good set of ballasts, and they arent abused (flashed on and off etc) the life span is very impressive, I have a friend that has one of the older enovys (one of the first domestic cars with HID's) dont know the year but it has to be almost 10 years old and both bulbs still fire up, (very expensive if they blow as they are pretty rare and well primitive lol) but they arent brighter than halogen, but on the other hand are a very nice probably 5500k at the least