IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson Option

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-07, 01:46 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Option

Yesterday, I went to test out the Mark Levinson option (300 watts, 12 speakers) on the IS 350. Am I the only one a little disappointed in the audio, although it was clear, it lacks the bass (I did adjust the bass settings). My current camry 2005 stock audio seems to have better bass. With 12 speakers I also expected to sound to be all around me but it seems weak.
Old 07-21-07, 02:16 PM
ShoFly
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's 14 speakers and there are plenty of other threads related to this. Your best alternative is to replace the factory sub.
Old 07-21-07, 02:18 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its only a FACTORY upgrade, 14spkr/300watts, what'd you expect? da BOOOM?
Old 07-21-07, 02:28 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ShoFly
It's 14 speakers and there are plenty of other threads related to this. Your best alternative is to replace the factory sub.
Ok... Which Sub... has other lexus is 350 owners and got the best result.
Old 07-21-07, 02:31 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You won't be able to spend $1,000 and get a better upgrade from any car manufacturer, but it isn't going to compete with an all out "no expenses spared" approach. Unfortunately, car audio system 'quality' today is often based on how much bass the system puts out. This is a wrong approach as what you are looking for is overall balance and clarity. A deep punchy bass doesn't mean the system is producing music better. Bass quality is just one element in the reproduction process, and not the most important. In this regard the ML is a very good system as it comes from the factory.

What kind of source material and format were you using to road test the ML system?? Music recording quality is not always the same.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-21-07 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-21-07, 02:35 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
You won't be able to spend $1,000 and get a better upgrade from any car manufacturer, but it isn't going to compete with an all out "no expenses spared" approach.

What kind of source material and format were you using to road test the ML system?? Music recording quality is not always the same.
I used my personalized CD files of Dance songs encoded from MP3. I used the best bitrate I could find for each song (min 128K or better). The CD sound fine in my Camry and had better bass (stock speakers) than the ML.
Old 07-21-07, 02:36 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

clarity and frequency response >>>>>>> bass to me. I doubt the camry can even come close clarity and frequency response wise
Old 07-21-07, 02:36 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

It depends what music you listen to. From what I've heard (I've never heard it myself, I just read cmusic's posts ), the ML system is pretty awesome in the mids to highs. The bass is "sufficient". However, if you listen to a lot of rap or hip hop music, then switching the subwoofer would be the way to go. Then it depends on whether you want the whole neighborhood to hear you, or if you want tight, accurate bass.
Old 07-21-07, 02:43 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

True, I feel 2S is a bit weak with bass tune. I did not study what is actually missing within the combo of speakers, but I think the car is a littlte too small to produce good soild bass.
Old 07-21-07, 02:53 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
The CD sound fine in my Camry and had better bass (stock speakers) than the ML.
You are probably equating loudness and bass level with quality. That is natural, and most people do it. That is why many people who listen to a high end audiophile system first come away being unimpressed at the overall quality and level of the bass, which will often feel underwhelming. It's only with extended listening does one come to appreciate clarity, balance, sound staging, accurate note reproduction and all the other sonic attributes that make for good sound. Don't rule out the ML system on a short audition. It is worth the extra grand, and if you need more bass you can replace the subwoofer.

I would seriously doubt the Camry will outperform the ML in any category. You are just used to the Camry's sound.

Originally Posted by josephdoc
True, I feel 2S is a bit weak with bass tune. I did not study what is actually missing within the combo of speakers, but I think the car is a littlte too small to produce good soild bass.
A car's interior is a bad place to try to get accurate reproduction of music. It's too small, the occupants are too close to the speakers, and there is incessant road noise interferring with the sound. From what I've experienced the ML systems make a pretty good effort within the confines of what the market will bear from a manufacturer's option list. If Lexus pulled out all the stops and had an ultrafine $5,000 upgrade option they wouldn't sell too many, and the quality would be lost on almost all purchasers. It's a compromise, and a pretty good one, I think.

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-21-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-21-07, 10:51 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

it's a lexus...it's not gonna "boom boom boom" like a cutlass or caprice with memphis 12s lol. it's a nice, balanced sound. i have two rockford 10s that were in my eclipse but i'm not gonna put them in my IS because i'm tired of all the bass and like the balance better.
Old 07-21-07, 11:00 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the ML system is all about PURE SOUND QUALITY. Don't get it if you are looking to get the boom boom boom. Get the stock system and then add amp, replace all the speakers. Or you can get the ML system and add a sub like myself and many other members did. Also, the bass in your camry might be louder but how clean and clear is that bass? I doubt it comes anywhere close to the clarity of the ML system.
Old 07-21-07, 11:02 PM
mt1
Rookie

The ML in my 350 sounds so much better (to me) than my Camry.

The bass is enough to vibrate my rear view mirror - that's good enough for me. For me, it was worth the extra $$.
Old 07-21-07, 11:36 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tt061880
Or you can get the ML system and add a sub like myself and many other members did.
So what's did you other CL members buy for their IS 250/350 to get the a good result. I am looking for tight bass not boom boom.
Old 07-22-07, 01:00 AM
ShoFly
Rookie

Originally Posted by jadeboy
So what's did you other CL members buy for their IS 250/350 to get the a good result. I am looking for tight bass not boom boom.
I'm sure any decent brand 10 or 12 inch sub with an amp giving the sub it's full recommended wattage will be sufficient for what you're wanting. Stop by any local audio shops and see what they have to offer or recommend if you're not familiar to car audio brands/installations.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Option