Print Wikipost

DIY aftermarket amp power wire install step by step with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 01:09 AM
ttiangco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Your fuse should be on the power wires, preferably sitting in your engine bay (about 1ft of wire from it to the battery).

It could be either your ground or your remote wire.
Here's a quick wiring diagram I just drew:

I believe you have several choices for the remote wire...I used the orange wire on the 3rd connector, but I don't have ML, so I'm not sure if the wires are the same.

Where are you grounded? I have my ground wire on the chassis of the car behind the rear seats.
ooohhhhh ok ok. But i have a ground, remote and power coming from my LOC. Im pretty sure i screwed up there tho. What i did was i wiredthe groun, remote and power from the loc to the aftermarket amp BUT i did not splice it from the factory amp..am i on the right page here?
Old 07-09-11, 07:36 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone help me with what went wrong..

My wiring is as follows (followed this guys pic):

I have everything hooked up and it works, its just that the higher the volume, its really distorted and staticy.
Old 07-09-11, 10:46 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Disconnect all that crap and just try one set of inputs from the sub, say the brown & green, and then report back. Also, don’t turn your HU up past 53-54 (for non-ML, NAV system), which is where the signal starts to clip, and don’t turn those gain pots on the LOC up all the way either. If it’s not loud enough and you have your gains set properly in the amp, then you need a bigger amp.

I know several people on here think the summing of inputs from the sub & front woofers is the way to go but I disagree, and it could be part of your output/distortion issue. Yes, the sub signal range is limited to ~35-80hz, and the front woofer range plays from ~35hz up, so the theory is you get more usable range for your sub my mixing the inputs. But the sub level voltage is higher than the front woofers, and the signals are all stepped on heavily by DSP for time alignment, EQ. levels, etc, so in reality it’s almost impossible to blend these into a cohesive signal without additional signal processing. Even with just the sub inputs, it doesn’t blend very well with the rest of the system, but you should have adequate output.
Old 07-09-11, 12:30 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i first did this years ago.. i had reversed polarity on one of my LOC's.. simply switch the positive lead to where the negative is hooked up and vice versa. solved my issue
Old 07-09-11, 04:04 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
Can someone help me with what went wrong..

My wiring is as follows (followed this guys pic):

I have everything hooked up and it works, its just that the higher the volume, its really distorted and staticy.
I drew that. It doesn't work. You have to connect the woofers to their own channels rather than combining them. I really didn't notice too much of a difference than just connecting the brown green alone. Do that first, and if it really bothers you, then attach the front woofers too and see if you like it that way instead.
Old 07-09-11, 08:40 PM
06tpis350
Driver

Originally Posted by kumquatism
I drew that. It doesn't work. You have to connect the woofers to their own channels rather than combining them. I really didn't notice too much of a difference than just connecting the brown green alone. Do that first, and if it really bothers you, then attach the front woofers too and see if you like it that way instead.
Hi, quick question..tell me if I'm right=] what Im understandin just hook the sub wires green - and brown + from ml amp into loc. My question is. Does matter were the wire goes on the loc. Like for example to rear left speaker - and + goes on loc slot a5+ and a6- which is + and - equals to green - and brown + ml sub wire. Then for the RCA I choose the rear left speaker. Would I need to hook up a Y RCA to have a left and right that goes to the aftermarket amp. Please tell me if Im right ? Help Cl. Thank again on advance=]

Last edited by 06tpis350; 07-09-11 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 11:44 AM
06tpis350
Driver

Originally Posted by 06tpis350
Hi, quick question..tell me if I'm right=] what Im understandin just hook the sub wires green - and brown + from ml amp into loc. My question is. Does matter were the wire goes on the loc. Like for example to rear left speaker - and + goes on loc slot a5+ and a6- which is + and - equals to green - and brown + ml sub wire. Then for the RCA I choose the rear left speaker. Would I need to hook up a Y RCA to have a left and right that goes to the aftermarket amp. Please tell me if Im right ? Help Cl. Thank again on advance=]
Please need answers soon cl... Thank you!!
Old 07-10-11, 09:05 PM
06tpis350
Driver

Please need answers soon cl... Thank you!!
Hello cl anybody =\ ??
Old 07-10-11, 11:49 PM
sushiboi
Lead Lap

@06tpis350 - if I read correctly, it's explained that the stock sub signal is used for one-half of the signal to the aftermarket amp, and you sum up the signals from the door woofers to get your other half of the signal by using the y-cable. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, but I hope it helps some.
Old 07-11-11, 12:57 AM
06tpis350
Driver

Originally Posted by sushiboi
@06tpis350 - if I read correctly, it's explained that the stock sub signal is used for one-half of the signal to the aftermarket amp, and you sum up the signals from the door woofers to get your other half of the signal by using the y-cable. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking, but I hope it helps some.
Hi sushiboi thanks for reply back=] I understood your answer=] on that route. I was debating on going on that route or just taping the Sub woofer only. Do you actually could tell any difference? If i went the subwoofer route. I will only have one channel..right? like I stated on my example question. I used the rear left. So I only have one Channel on the RCA(left rear) would I need to use a Y RCA to get a left and right RCA to the Amp? Or should go With the front woofer left and right with Sub woofer route? What do you recommend with your experience? Please help me bro=] oh ya one more question the remote wire is the skinny orange one on the last plug on rear of ml amp right? Thank again for your time and knowledge sushiboi =]
Old 07-11-11, 01:38 PM
sushiboi
Lead Lap

From what I remember, that's the correct color for the remote wire. I haven't found the remote wire for my non-ML system. I have not tapped any other signal other than the stock sub. I think it sounds great. I've heard that you have to adjust the signal from the LOC if you go the original route you're talking about. If you do only the sub signal, that's correct. Use a y-cable to go from one RCA to two.
Old 07-11-11, 02:22 PM
06tpis350
Driver

From what I remember, that's the correct color for the remote wire. I haven't found the remote wire for my non-ML system. I have not tapped any other signal other than the stock sub. I think it sounds great. I've heard that you have to adjust the signal from the LOC if you go the original route you're talking about. If you do only the sub signal, that's correct. Use a y-cable to go from one RCA to two.
Thank you so much for your info bro..Now im ready to excute the my install. Your a big help=) KUDOs too you!! Im just waiting for the rest my amp kit come in from UPS today lol Ebay stuff hahaha..same me money lol!! to finish my install..I keep you posted how it goes=) know has help you on finding the remote on your end? So did you tap it to your cigarette ligther like what fellow Cl member did..Well take cares bro!! and Thanks again!!
Old 07-11-11, 08:51 PM
sushiboi
Lead Lap

Your welcome. Someone actually told me where it is. I just don't feel like relocating it. Lol I'm too lazy. I have it rigged to a fuse. The line is always hot so it works. Good luck with your install. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-12-11, 07:37 AM
06tpis350
Driver

Your welcome. Someone actually told me where it is. I just don't feel like relocating it. Lol I'm too lazy. I have it rigged to a fuse. The line is always hot so it works. Good luck with your install. Let us know how it goes.
Hey sushiboi,was up bro!! Dang!! took me almost 5 hours to get hook up lol. Pretty much wasted 1hr just try to figure the sub signal. I had everything hook up and running but no signal=\ it happens to be I tap it too sub woofer side not ml amp hahaha=p cuz I was to lazy to disconnect the sub wire I just cut them hahaha. It sound so much than the ml=] I just wanted to keep posted. Thanks again bro!! Have a good week!!
Old 07-12-11, 08:20 AM
sushiboi
Lead Lap

Hey sushiboi,was up bro!! Dang!! took me almost 5 hours to get hook up lol. Pretty much wasted 1hr just try to figure the sub signal. I had everything hook up and running but no signal=\ it happens to be I tap it too sub woofer side not ml amp hahaha=p cuz I was to lazy to disconnect the sub wire I just cut them hahaha. It sound so much than the ml=] I just wanted to keep posted. Thanks again bro!! Have a good week!!
Good to hear, bro! Enjoy!

Quick Reply: DIY aftermarket amp power wire install step by step with pictures