Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

DIY aftermarket amp power wire install step by step with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 11:50 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like MV350, mine is also plugged into my fuse box with something similar to this. not exactly the same product i bought but similar

http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0957PT-Fu.../dp/B001QRSBY8

Its not hard to run the wire. i had my rear seats taken out when i ran the power wire so it was super easy to just run this one. took an extra 10-15 minutes once i tapped down the wire as i ran it under the scuff plates etc.

For me, the less i splice into existing factory wiring the better. thats why i went this route. Its wayy easy to disconnect also lol
Old 12-08-09, 12:15 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Question- do you guys tap both pos and neg for the sub? Brown and pink + then skyblue and green -??? Or do i only have to just tap one pair?
Old 12-08-09, 12:17 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

both of us didn't tap the sub wiresMv350 did his install then he helped me out with mine lol, our setups are identical). i tapped my front right woofer wires, positive and negative, can't remember what color they where off the top of my head, i'm at work and didn't drive the carpool today.
Old 12-08-09, 12:26 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Those colors would be red and white and then the other pair is brown and pink.. Those are the colors for the FRONT speakers. So you didnt tap into the factory sub???? Then what wires did you tap? I only tapped one pair of pos neg and its working. But my question is should i tap both pairs since therss four wires for the stock sub because its a dual voice coil.. So tap one pair or both?? Or if i do both it wouldnt mAtter??
Old 12-08-09, 12:32 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

I didn't mess with the stock amp wiring myself but I remember lime green brown pink and sky blue being used only. I forgot which order they go in.

non ml
Old 12-09-09, 01:55 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Yeah brown and pink is pos and skyblue and green is negative. That is the wiring color for the stock non ml sub. So you did tap into both pairs.. I only tapped into one pair and my question was should i do both pairs
Old 12-09-09, 10:49 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

I didnt have to splice anything. I used t taps for all the wiring. Only wire you actually have to run is the power wire. All the other wires can be t tapped from the amp in the back including your remote wire. Hope this is helpful information for the non ml owners who want to install a sub
Old 12-09-09, 10:52 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Damn I didn't think about using t taps. I'll do that when wire my sub back up.
Old 12-10-09, 11:41 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

oooh my bad misread your question. to try and answer it(my horrible attempt). i only tapped one pair of positive and negative, but then again i tapped the front woofers not the sub. i probably should've tapped both for Left and right. I did use T taps so i didn't have to cut completely.

Instead of tapping both left and right pairs. I only tapped my right side and made these Y wires to go into both the LEft and Right positives and negatives in my line output converter.

So front woofer positive wire went into both the front and left positive on my LOC
and front woofer negative wire went into both the front and left negative on my LOC

So in essense its only playing signals from my right woofer. but bass is usually pretty balanced when it comes to left to right balance. so i figured i'd be fine.

I hope i explained it correctly and it makes sense. but this doesn't apply to tapping the sub wires i don't think. i'd recommend tapping the front woofers because people have said they loose mid bass when just tapping the sub wires.

Last edited by xuningshen; 12-10-09 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-10-09, 02:42 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xuningshen
oooh my bad misread your question. to try and answer it(my horrible attempt). i only tapped one pair of positive and negative, but then again i tapped the front woofers not the sub. i probably should've tapped both for Left and right. I did use T taps so i didn't have to cut completely.

Instead of tapping both left and right pairs. I only tapped my right side and made these Y wires to go into both the LEft and Right positives and negatives in my line output converter.

So front woofer positive wire went into both the front and left positive on my LOC
and front woofer negative wire went into both the front and left negative on my LOC

So in essense its only playing signals from my right woofer. but bass is usually pretty balanced when it comes to left to right balance. so i figured i'd be fine.

I hope i explained it correctly and it makes sense. but this doesn't apply to tapping the sub wires i don't think. i'd recommend tapping the front woofers because people have said they loose mid bass when just tapping the sub wires.

nope you didn't answer my question haha are you running a sub??? did you t tap into the sub wires(the two pairs i mentioned above) for your sub? and then you t tap the front speakers into the LOC? or all you did was just t tap your front speakers which makes me confused as to why you would only do that lol

well anyways. so about the tapping of the front speakers. all you did was just tap it and hook it up to the LOC? or do you have to adjust it or something? i tapped the right speaker only(didnt Y wire it up like you i just did one pos and one neg onto the loc) so far and i don't think i hear a difference lol or must i adjust the gain on the LOC?(i think there was something adjustable on the LOC).. i'm too lazy to look right now lol
Old 12-10-09, 03:21 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Lol ops sorry i'll keep trying i guess. just let me know when to stop haha.

ok so. if you tap your front "woofer" wires you get allllllll the bass/low signals you need to run your sub and get the deep deep bass. you even get all the highs i think. I just set my amp to only bump out the lows since i only have subs hooked up.

So i T tapped positive and negative front "woofer" wires into my LOC and from my LOC i ran RCA cables into my amp.

I just bumped up the gain and then adjusted the rest on my amp

really? you just have one positive and one negative into your LOC and its working fine? interesting haha, i guess it would work.
Old 12-11-09, 06:01 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xuningshen

I just bumped up the gain and then adjusted the rest on my amp
THIS PART! lol i took a look at the SCOSCH LOC today. how do you know and what setting did you set the gains to?? all the way +??? thats what mine are at. I need to buy more T taps to do the other speaker.
Old 12-11-09, 10:17 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man i wish i was in fl to help you. on the scosch loc set them to the center, its easier to do it off the amp. play with the gain and ohm nominance, the settings on the LOC are to touchy. set them neutral in the center and USE THE AMP, less touchy, it creates an overall clearer sound. if you have an amp the has the ability to run a bass/gain control *** that is the easiest way to play with it, without having to go into your trunk
Old 02-20-10, 08:27 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK...did anyone ever find out??? do we need to use both sets of + and - for the non ML subwoofer???... or just 1 + and - ???
Old 02-20-10, 08:44 AM
ISooNice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
Those colors would be red and white and then the other pair is brown and pink.. Those are the colors for the FRONT speakers. So you didnt tap into the factory sub???? Then what wires did you tap? I only tapped one pair of pos neg and its working. But my question is should i tap both pairs since therss four wires for the stock sub because its a dual voice coil.. So tap one pair or both?? Or if i do both it wouldnt mAtter??
Originally Posted by rselby
OK...did anyone ever find out??? do we need to use both sets of + and - for the non ML subwoofer???... or just 1 + and - ???
he said he used one pair and it's working

Quick Reply: DIY aftermarket amp power wire install step by step with pictures