IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Delayed launch when flooring the gas pedal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-07, 07:29 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I have that issue too, just leave it in PWR mode and it wont do that anymore!
Old 07-06-07, 08:19 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

dont blame the A/C, its designed to turn off when it senses WOT. this is to allow someone to pass while not having to turn off the A/C.
Old 07-06-07, 08:24 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TRDCorolla, was the engine warmed up? I know sometimes when I first crank mine, I allow the engine to warm up(3-4 mins) before I WOT or it does the lag thing like you mentioned.

The freeway is a mile from my house and I sometimes have the lag at WOT when merging onto the interstate. I've learned to let the engine get up to temp before I attempt any hard passing.
Old 07-06-07, 08:33 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 250 AWD loaner with 500 miles and it has this hesitation. I would be very unhappy if my 350 had it.

Koz
Old 07-06-07, 08:33 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Yeah it was warmed up plenty. I was alreay driving on the freeway for a good 20 minutes already. I was just merging onto the 15 from the 60 freeway.

Just got an update:

I got off the phone with a friend of mine and I told him about problem. He said that it was nothing to worry about if everyone else is exeriencing this too.

This guy has a Camry and it does the same thing. From what he told me, the factory installed a feature where there is a moment delay from regular cruising to WOT. This is mainly a safety precaution so it won't damage the axles or strain the transmission by jumping gears too quickly. It's computer sensing too and sort of like a type of VSC so to speak.

Does this make sense to you guys? I hope he's right. I'll talk to the dealer next time I bring it in. I'm due soon for oil change.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 07-06-07 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-06-07, 09:24 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the drive-by-wire system. That's really the way throttle control probably should be.

The transmission is your problem. Put it in ECT PWR mode or S-mode, and you should get an immediate response. I think you're overestimating the delay, though. Even when you're not in PWR mode, it is definitely NOT a "3-5 second" delay.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 07-06-07 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-06-07, 09:39 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Auto + IS250 = Delay.
Old 07-06-07, 10:10 AM
j|michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had an issue similar to this when pulling out of an intersection. I saw a gap, and knew I could fit in. What I didn't expect is that my traction control would could the power to the wheels, creating a very innerving lag.

I've found that if I give the peddle a slight tap before I nail it, I get better acceleration. Perhaps its just the fact that the wheels are spinning before I gun it. Also, I drive in power mode all the time, and the reaction time seems a lot quicker.
Old 07-06-07, 10:43 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
What's up with that? Today as I was trying to get to the left lane (right lane was coming to an end and I had to merge left on freeway traffic) and I saw a clearing up ahead. I needed power to get me up there since I was rolling at around 30mph. I stomped on the gas pedal and what the crap? There was like a 3-5 seconds delay in power transfer!!!!!! Once I finally got going, it was smoking fast--but what's the deal with the delay? Hope nothing is wrong with the drive by wire throttle, tranny, etc.
the beauty of drive by wire vs cable throttle......

the computer sense all the "driving conditions" before it send the "signal" to the throttle.....that's why they got a 1-2 sec delay.....
Old 07-06-07, 10:49 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j|michael
Also, I drive in power mode all the time, and the reaction time seems a lot quicker.
You drive in traffic in pwr mode? Dont you get whiplash? I tried doing a home to home cruise with pwr mode on the whole time i was out of the house, it was ok untill i hit traffic, tap the gas and the car would JUMP, when i got home i had to take 2 tylenol. I'll never use pwr in traffic again, it got dangerous, see a gap, tap the gas, neck snaps then i have to immediatly get on the brakes or i'll rear end the guy in the front, also worried about clipping the mirror cuz it accelerated too fast durring lane change and the car infont - closing speed - you get my point.

Dont know about all this lag ppl are talking about, kinda like 'the rattles', i feel so left out

*edit* maybe your talking about trans lag, trans tries to figure out what gear to drop too... Dont know about throttle lag thou...
Old 07-06-07, 12:02 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

I've got it also. It's only about 1/2 second though, but seems like eternity when going to pass. Almost like turbo lag, but man, does it kick in when it goes!

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 07-06-07, 08:27 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

^^^yeah, tell me about it!!! That's exactly what happened to me when I stomped on it. After the initial delay (where I almost got killed), it was like KITT in Super Pursuit Mode.
Old 07-06-07, 09:51 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
the beauty of drive by wire vs cable throttle......

the computer sense all the "driving conditions" before it send the "signal" to the throttle.....that's why they got a 1-2 sec delay.....
Once again: it has nothing to do with the throttle, and everything to do with the transmission.
Old 07-06-07, 11:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how many people would like to blame drive-by-wire. Sorry. No way.

Here's one for you, and everyone who's had a bike with smoothbores or flatslides knows exactly what I'm talking about. If you have a large throttlebody and you have a direct link, what happens when you stand on it from low rpm? IT STALLS. So, don't you think Toyco figured out a way to put a bigger throttlebody on the engine and control it with the computer in a way to maintain velocity in the intake to actually IMPROVE response and let the engine make more power because the throttlebody is already bigger than anything you could directly connect a cable to?

Anybody else here driven something with an oversize throttlebody and had driveability problems that just wouldn't tune out (and they never will)?

As RocketGuy3 said - it has nothing to do with the throttle, and everything to do with the transmission.
Old 07-07-07, 05:31 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Transmission or torque converter? The trans is already in first gear. The only play would be in the torque converter no?

Quick Reply: Delayed launch when flooring the gas pedal??