Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 09:07 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *** Why I might sell my IS **RANT**

oK, guys, forgive me as I vent.

Locks:

Yesterday, I took my daughter to Walmart, upon returning to my IS I decided I would start the car first to get the A/C going and then put her in the baby seat a minute later. So I touch the drivers handle, open the door, start the car, set the a/c to "low. Then I walk around to pull her out of the shopping cart. With daughter in hand I try to open the rear passenger side door. It is locked. Ok.. no problem, I reach in my pocket and grab my key FOB, push unlock, and nothing happens. I think to myself, ok maybe since the car is running I need to hold down the unlock button....nope...So then I try to push the button on the passenger side front door, again, it did not unlock ANY door. So now I have to walk around the car with my daughter in hand, open the drivers door again, and push the unlock button in the car. This is CRAP! My key FOB should open the god damn door anytime I press unlock, especialy if I'm outside the damn car.

Another incident with my daughter:

I pull into a parking spot. I accidently pushed the start/stop button before I placed the car in "Park", car starts beeping annoyingly. I get out walk around the car to get my daughter, and again it is locked. So same as above I try the Key FOB to no avail. I actually had to go back into the car, start the car, place the car in "drive" and then back to "park" and then press the start/stop button to clear the goddamn issue.

Navigation:

Ok.. So I opted for the premeier $4000 nav/ml combo. Yet as everyone knows, you cannot input destinations while driving. I knew this before I bought the car...so I guess you can say it's my fault. However, The speach recognition works like ***! My 2 year old daughter understands me far better than the damn NAV unit. And before anyone mentions that I can get around the NAV lockout feature, Why the hell would I want to splice and hack into my 8000 mile old car, risk further electrical issues, completely void the warranty on a $4000 NAV/ML combo unit to do so. I should not have to do this to a $45k car to get what I want. Besides replacement cost on the NAV/ML unit could be far more than $4k.

Memory seating:

Why the hell can't my passenger use the memory presets while I'm in gear! Your ****ting me, I have to stop, place the car in "park" just for him/her to use a preset seating position. This is real ****ty!

DVD:

Please refer to NAV above. Why must Lexus ASSUME, I'm watching? Maybe my wife wants to watch a movie on our 3 hour trip to the beach.

Guys, I love the car's mechanical abilities, but these "restrictions" are seriously hamepring my ability to enjoy this car and the $45k I spent on it. If all I'm really getting is performance, I can move over to the new EVO 10 and save 10k at it.

I'm done ranting... let the flames begin.

James
Old 06-25-07, 09:09 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow
Old 06-25-07, 09:17 AM
leegina
Rookie

Not sure but maybe a thought, why not grab the passenger door handle to unlock all doors then go around and start car and then put your daughter in. Or maybe just unlock car with key fob all doors then start then put daughter in. Not exactly sure if these will work but they might. But I do agree those would be a pain in the ****!!!
Old 06-25-07, 09:23 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All of your issues have been discussed previously, so no need to open them up again. My impression from reading your note sounds like you have your hands full with a two year old, and other day to day distractions. The first goal when you are in your car HAS to be driving safely. We can debate forever whether that should mean you should be able to input destinations into your NAV while tooling down the road, or watching DVD's, adjusting Memory seats, etc. If the electronic nanny's are getting in your way you have two choices, 1) really think whether these further distractions make sense in your driving experience or 2) dump the Lexus and get a less complicated automobile. Although you may believe you should be able to use any feature at any time in your car, Lexus and the state and federal governments think otherwise. I don't know of any jurisdiction where a driver visible screen showing broadcast images or DVD's is legal. You may think it is asinine but that is the law. It's similar to where you can't have open containers of booze in the car. You can't argue that the passengers should be able to get drunk while you drive sober. The law doesn't work like that.

The unlocking door feature is one you can adjust yourself so when you touch either of the front door handles ALL four doors open. It's in the Owners Manual. That solves that problem.

Last edited by Evitzee; 06-25-07 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 09:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leegina
Not sure but maybe a thought, why not grab the passenger door handle to unlock all doors then go around and start car and then put your daughter in. Or maybe just unlock car with key fob all doors then start then put daughter in. Not exactly sure if these will work but they might. But I do agree those would be a pain in the ****!!!
I just been forced to unlock with the key fob. My issue is, why didn't they tie the keyless to all 4 handles?? The ES350 does.
Old 06-25-07, 09:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

lexus can change the settings to when you put your hand in the door it will unlock all doors instead of just the drivers door only. I think the fact that the car was running is why the key fob buttons dont work, pretty much all cars are going to be like this. If the car has been started and is running why would someone need to control the unlock with the keyfobs. Double press unlock on the fob (1st press unlocks drivers, 2nd press unlocks all doors) before getting in the car or changing the personalized settings with lexus is the solution for you.

sorry I dont want anyone in a vehicle near me that is trying to input a nav destination while driving. Its there for that very reason.

I dont see how the passenger seat setting concerns you while driving, I'd rather pay attention to more important things. I can see this complaint if it applied to the drivers side but I wouldnt want the preset seating going off if I accidently hit the button, which I have with my knee.

At least you havent experienced iDrive, i can tell you would really hate it 100x more than these minor nuisances

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-25-07 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 09:28 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Yikes. Why not just have the driver side door unlock all doors when you put your hand around it???? You do know that's an option correct?
Old 06-25-07, 09:34 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damm, what a day you had...

First and foremost, its not the cars fault, your the sucker that got married/had kids. Its not the cars fault that you didnt listen to the old men when they would say 'dont get married'.
Old 06-25-07, 09:42 AM
illawgical
Driver

I don't know about you, but with my previous cars, I was also unable to unlock doors with the keyfob when the car is started. I believe this to be a safety feature... annoying yes...I agree. I think it's different now because our keyfobs are still in our pockets (or wherever) when they car is running.. where as in the past, it was probably dangling from the ignition, so we never really think of it or consider unlocking our cars.

Do you have your keyfob set to unlock all doors when you touch your driver's side door handle? If not, maybe that's something you should consider.

As for the other things, it's all about safety. I certainly don't mind having to stop before entering a new destination because (maybe i'm simple minded) i certainly wouldn't have my full concentration on the road if I'm trying to enter a destination while moving... and maybe causing an accident. Same goes with watching DVDs. Now you can get all this hacked so that you can do all this, so it's not really an issue after that.
Old 06-25-07, 09:59 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

1. No matter what car you buy, once you start the car the Fob is no longer useful. Go do a search in this forum on how to set your driver side handle to unlock all doors. This way, you fix your problem. Or go to Lexus and have them do it for you. It's very easy.

2. Your navigation is not made to input destination while driving. This is relevent in a lot of cars, due to safety reasons. Even on some of the nicer portable NAV's like the garmins, have the ability to lock touchscreen while the car is in motion. I believe Acura is a handful of companies that let you input while in motion. So this might be a problem if you are considering another ride.

3. DVD watching is prohibited on anything. Companies like Pioneer, Alpine have this feature locked. It is only enabled when you request it during installation ( which they sometimes get you to sign a waiver). Do you know of any car vehicle manufacter that has allowed this on a stock NAV system?

4. Again, memory seats should not be adjustable while the car is in motion or in gear. This one is coming from experience (BMW), I had my cousin in my car with his seat belt on, and i decided to lean over to adjust his seat,cause he couldn't figure it out. I started moving his seat, while we were sitting at a red light. What i didn't notice was, the seatbelt was not adjusting correctly as the seat was. So he ended up getting chocked by the seat belt, I didn't realize this! Again, another safety feature, and i can tell you that this is probably relevant in a BMW also. Sometimes I get annoyed about this feature also...

Hopefully i've answered a few of your complaints.
Old 06-25-07, 10:01 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
I should not have to do this to a $45k car to get what I want..... Guys, I love the car's mechanical abilities, but these "restrictions" are seriously hamepring my ability to enjoy this car and the $45k I spent on it.
For $45K, you get the off-the-shelf car Lexus offers you, nothing more. If you want a customized car that does everything you want exactly the way you want it, it'll cost more than that.

You willingly agreed to pay $45K for a car with a NAV that locks itself out, a DVD that doesn't play while moving, and memory seats that don't move while in gear. The only thing "hampering your ability to enjoy the $45K" you spent on the car is your expectation for what $45K gets...

If you are disappointed by what your $45K got you, just be glad you're not in the $55K GS or the $75K LS, because those exact same restrictions are in place and they paid more than you.
Old 06-25-07, 10:05 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

gotta bare bones stock IS250. i'll trade ya if your are really unhappy about the memory seats and nav.
Old 06-25-07, 10:11 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Sounds like several of your complaints have easy fixes... I suggest trying those then re-evaluating...
Old 06-25-07, 10:15 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotta tell you, I have a 2 year old son, and I don't have any of these issues with the car. When I put him in the car, I grab the passenger side handle to unluck everything, and reach in to press one of the passenger seat memory settings to move the seat out of "kicking range" for him. Then I place him in his car seat, walk around, get in, start the car, and drive away.

If I insisted on starting the car first, that could be done as well by unlocking all doors by grabbing the driver's door handle, starting it, and going around to his door to put him in the seat. You need to change the setting to unlock ALL doors...it's a very easy DIY.

As for your other rants, I can only speak from personal experience. When I'm in the car with my son, there's enough going on. Between listening to him and driving the car, the last thing I'm thinking about is popping in a DVD for the trip home. You claim that you might want that feature for a passenger, but we're all human, and WILL glance at the movie occasionally. You can also input a NAV destination before driving, and SHOULD. It takes more attention to do so than most of us admit.

Finally, placing ANY modern vehicle in park AFTER shutting it off is a bad thing for obvious reasons. Just try doing it correctly, and I think your stress level will decrease.

I want every chance to get my son home safe every day, and if that inconveniences me, then so be it. Even joking about putting your 2 year old in a friggin EVO 10 tells me your head wasn't in the right place when you wrote this. Take a deep breath, go play with your daughter, and be happy with the great car you have in the garage.

Last edited by 15951; 06-25-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-25-07, 10:39 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I think you can set your personal settings to unlock all doors when you shift from d to p.

Quick Reply: *** Why I might sell my IS **RANT**