IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 09:35 AM
PreTTyB0i5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
FYI: This thread is from last year. I have stored my new front lip I just received and I am waiting for my old one to get trashed. I am still waiting to hear back from the body shop. I'll let you know.
Vik, you're not going to DYI regarding the rear lip? Would you dare to attempt? If anyone is going to cut n drill holes in your bumper shouldn't it be you?
Old 08-26-08, 09:56 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
Hey VikH, how did you get those clips out? I couldnt pry it out so I had to go behind the fenders, it took me close to 40 mins getting those bastards out, and now one of them wont go in, so I jammed it partially in and its stuck there

And turns out when the body shop repaired my bumper they only put 5 of the original 9 screws in.

But at least the lip is on now
The clips on the fender? You have to turn them first then they will come out.

Originally Posted by PreTTyB0i5
Vik, you're not going to DYI regarding the rear lip? Would you dare to attempt? If anyone is going to cut n drill holes in your bumper shouldn't it be you?
I refuse to drill into my car. I do not have the tools (air saw, drill bits etc.) nor the skill. The shop I am taking my car to drilled my car previously for the trunk lid spoiler.
Old 08-26-08, 12:07 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mean the clips holding the lip to the bumper.. all you do is twist it? WTF
Old 08-26-08, 03:57 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikez
I mean the clips holding the lip to the bumper.. all you do is twist it? WTF
I think he thought you were talking about the 2 clips on the fender liner. Those you have to turn 90 degrees and they'll pop out. But the clip right next to screw on the ends of the lip, I pryed the top so it will unlock then take the whole thing out.

But as requested, I'm going to post my pics here. At first I had the same problem with the small gaps in the corner but was solved with making sure all 8 tabs were locked in with a small pop sound. When everything was centered, secured, and gap free, peel the rest of the tape backing and apply firm pressure to make sure it sticks. Oh and make sure to clean the area with alcohol so it'll stick better. Sorry pics were taken after the rain let up.

Here's what the tabs look like when they are secured all the way in. (Yeah it's dirty)

End result

Old 04-23-09, 06:04 PM
Glide
Rookie

Default Lip Installation

Hey Guys! I realize I'm a little late to the party, but on that front lip install...Mine didn't come with any tape. Is it needed and if so where does it go?

Last edited by Glide; 04-23-09 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 08:56 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

The tape is already on the lip. They are very small brown strips if I remember correctly.
Old 04-23-09, 09:00 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey vik sort off off-topic, but do you have blackhousing headlights or are those stock?
Old 04-23-09, 09:04 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew
hey vik sort off off-topic, but do you have blackhousing headlights or are those stock?
Stock. I try not to copy Javy too much
Old 04-23-09, 09:13 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

wow i am glad i found this Sewell sent me the wrong color front lip first..The right color one is on it's way...Thanks to you all now i know what to look for when i do the install..Also you can make a ramp by just nailing 2x8 piece's of wood..Just cut them so as you stack them up they stagger long enough so it's a more of a gradual incline...I had a 88 Isuzu truck that was dropped 2 1/2inches off the ground(At it lowest point)so NO Ramp would work, so i just made some...Yeah i scraped everywhere..
Old 04-23-09, 10:11 PM
Glide
Rookie

Originally Posted by VikH
The tape is already on the lip. They are very small brown strips if I remember correctly.
My question was where are they (the tape) supposed to be so when I buy some I know where to put it. Mine came without tape. Is tape needed?
Old 04-23-09, 10:31 PM
Supremeng
Rookie

^^^ tape should help close any small gaps but not absolutely necessary. I think the 9 screws hold the thing it place very well.
Old 04-24-09, 07:10 AM
Glide
Rookie

Originally Posted by Supremeng
^^^ tape should help close any small gaps but not absolutely necessary. I think the 9 screws hold the thing it place very well.
Then I can install with clips and screws then add tape later if neccessary? Still want to know where the tape goes.
Old 04-25-10, 01:30 PM
Cobbler
Driver School Candidate

Bumping an old thread, but i can't get the clips at the two ends off. Can some one give me tips to take them off? It's so frustrating having two clips stop me from taking this lip off.
Old 04-27-10, 11:03 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cobbler
Bumping an old thread, but i can't get the clips at the two ends off. Can some one give me tips to take them off? It's so frustrating having two clips stop me from taking this lip off.
Hrmm...If I remember correctly they are snap off clips. Are you sure you don't have a screw or two left in place?
Old 04-27-10, 11:36 PM
joshuajj
Driver

If you end up drilling your front bumper with the gfx lip and then later down the road decide to go with another lip (wald, jp), do you foresee any problems? I am wondering if you would see the cuts/holes or if you would have to buy a new bumper cover first? Anyone know anything about this?

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems