IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 10:00 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Yeah I live well enough to spend 70 on an oil change and not go hungry. I would say 40k for a glorified/rebadged camry is more of a ripoff but hey it's your money
Proof that ignorance is bliss
Old 06-22-07, 10:10 AM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by l1tech
So what would make the 250 an entry level car and not the 350.
The 250 is absolutely not an entry level Lexus either. I think this whole thread is a moot point. When you really get down to it, does not everything have an entry level?

There are some people that can only afford ground beef while others eat filet mignon nightly. They're both beef, so is the ground beef "entry level" into the bovine meat class?

Manufacturers are not going to make only one line of anything, they'd never sell enough to stay in business not to mention that if Lexus only made the LS, would you want to be driving the same Lexus everyone else was driving?

There are plenty of people that can afford a Ferrari, but choose to drive the Camry. Ever heard of the "millionaire next door"?

Me thinks "entry level" is an issue of semantics.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
Old 06-22-07, 10:46 AM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
I think just the "Lexus" name sounds expensive enough to the average person. I get comments like you are getting paid too much.. or did you get a promotion when I told them I got a Lexus. However, I probably didn't really spend more those big SUVs or loaded or modded trucks in the parking lot.

I don't see the IS being the lesser of the Lexus, it's just a smaller car so that happens to be cheaper? Keep in mind that the 2IS Lexus brand is around the world now even in Japan.. not a rebadged toyota.
exactly the same for me too! i went from a honda s2000 to the lexus IS, and everyone at work thought i got a bigger bonus than they did... it's just the name, but the cars were really close to the same price...
Old 06-22-07, 10:58 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

95% of people on the road have no clue period so it don’t matter to me. I have people ask me how much I paid for my car like this. "Nice car, what did it go for, $30K"? when I tell them MSRP was $47K I literally watch their mouths drop in shock.

I think people still try to apply contemporary Lexus trims and levels with the ones 3 years ago before most models were reworked. The IS was the entry model but now it really isn’t. I would not call it in any way entry level luxo. My old TL Type S was (as was the MDX). This is square in mid level. In the same token it IS the sporty Lexus which also really didn’t exist before the 2nd generation IS.
But to the 3 series. The 3 series doesn’t even qualify as entry level luxo to me anymore. It really doesn’t. It’s a good solid mis level sports sedan but BMW needs to do a lot of work on that to get it up to entry level luxo levels of cars in 2007. First off they need to remove the 80’s design.

Last edited by y2ks2k; 06-22-07 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-22-07, 11:21 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
There are some people that can only afford ground beef while others eat filet mignon nightly. They're both beef, so is the ground beef "entry level" into the bovine meat class?
ROFL, personaly i'll go for a nice marble cut of spencer over filet mignon, closest thing to kobe you can get in the states.

The funny thing about our cars, ppl asking/thinking we have money, we HAD money BEFORE we bought the cars not AFTER

Still i do like the styling of the C class, if i could have one with BMW M handling, Lexus interior, RB26DETT motor and Camry relaiebility i'd be very happy. But this would be a disscussion for another thread
Old 06-22-07, 04:04 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No stigma IMO. One thing is that the most expensive Benz is much more expensive than the most expensive Lexus.
Old 06-22-07, 04:16 PM
LexFather

Sorry guys but if your car starts from 30-40k, its called the "entry level luxury class".
Lexus is the ONLY brand with 2 distinct cars in this segment. While both are very luxurious and can get to be 45k loaded, they would be considered entry level.

I do think this term is a little old and things have changed a lot. It was easier to say x,b car is entry level. Not anymore, as their prices and features has risen.

The 2IS has more of a "Lexus" image than the 1IS. the 1IS, while having the lowest age buyer of any luxury branded car, left many cold. It wasn't Lexus enough. Some LOVED that feature.

The 2IS did the best job of combining the best of both worlds. The ES is more luxo cruiser.

While the 3 series is the sales champ and all over, it is still, IMO the status champ in this class. I would say the IS/ES and C-class are next, being a Lexus and Mercedes. All others people barely recognize, they simply do not have the brand cache.
Old 06-22-07, 04:19 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by OC 335i
No stigma IMO. One thing is that the most expensive Benz is much more expensive than the most expensive Lexus.
That's a good point. It's almost as though the stigma has moved up the line to the flagship models. Someone might be more inclined to spend x+ on a MB or BMW flagship instead of just x for a Lexus version with the same features.
Old 06-22-07, 04:54 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Still i do like the styling of the C class, if i could have one with BMW M handling, Lexus interior, RB26DETT motor and Camry relaiebility i'd be very happy. But this would be a disscussion for another thread
hahahaha....WAT A NICE CHOICE.....
Old 06-22-07, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by OC 335i
True.
LS 600h L STARTS at what 104k, 120k loaded
S 600 STARTS at 140k!!
SL 65 at 187k!!
SLR $452,750*
Old 06-22-07, 05:24 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
The funny thing about our cars, ppl asking/thinking we have money, we HAD money BEFORE we bought the cars not AFTER
QFT! (quote for truth/quite f'ing true)
Old 06-22-07, 09:47 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

IMO, the C Benz, 3 series BMW, and ES Lexus are the low end vehicles.
Old 06-22-07, 10:18 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Any one who buys an IS250 is a poser. The IS350 is a unique car based on its performance, but the 250 is bog slow, cramped and does not fit as a luxury car. Pretty much like the old BMW 318, for people that want the name but don't want to pay the price. Even the ES350 will blow the door off the IS250. At least, Mercedes has stopped bringing in the lowest powered C class.
Steve
Old 06-22-07, 10:22 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

the IS isn't supposed to compete with cars like the LS and GS. it's much sportier and is designed for younger drivers which is why the price tag is less. the LS is designed for older people that want a fairly big car that costs more. you can't compare them. i don't think there's anything wrong with the c class. it's a sporty car and not cheap by any means. however, there is this one mercedes model that i don't see frequently that costs like 23 grand and has cloth interior. i would much rather have a top of the line toyota or something than that cheap mercedes with the cloth interior.
Old 06-22-07, 10:25 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Any one who buys an IS250 is a poser. The IS350 is a unique car based on its performance, but the 250 is bog slow, cramped and does not fit as a luxury car. Pretty much like the old BMW 318, for people that want the name but don't want to pay the price. Even the ES350 will blow the door off the IS250. At least, Mercedes has stopped bringing in the lowest powered C class.
Steve
that's the most ridiculous thing i've heard on this site. my 250 has every luxury option that you could possibly get on a 350. my old eclipse would blow the doors off a 350, but i wanted a luxury car and could care less how fast it is. what's the point of buying a luxury car for performance? if i wanted real performance i wouldn't consider any luxury brand. all lexus cars are slow if you want a FAST car.

Quick Reply: Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?