IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 08:38 PM
neova
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by is250asu
I knew someone that had a 3 series with manual roll down windows (probably a 2001 or 2002). To me, that brought down the image of BMW. When have you seen a Lexus without all power if not extra power features? I wasn't going to buy a 'luxury vehicle' BMW when equivalents were being leased with such cheap options.
Strangely enough, the base IS250 in Canada comes with cloth and manual seats. but then again the base price is $36400, which is only a couple grand less than the base IS350 in the US. We pay more and get less...

Talk about cheaping out on entry level luxury models, what's witht BMW X3 and Audi A4 base models that DOES NOT come with coloured bumpers? Imagine drivng a $40K-$50K Canadian car with black pastic bumpers/sideskirts... it's a crime to be charged that much and still have to pay for painted bumers/sideskirts!
Old 06-21-07, 08:40 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Never head of bad ECU programming upon delivery. Did the car not start? If it started, how did you/stealer know there was bad ECU programming?
What failed in the engine that caused loss of oil?
Do you know how to shift without burning the clutch? Are you dumping the clutch at 5k launch? How does tranny, clutch flywheel all go out?

If you are not screwing up the shifting, maybe you should've driven it more. 14k in 2 years. Must've be living like 5 miles from work.
It bounced off the rev limiter at various RPMs, never over 4.5k. They just reprogrammed it.

I know how to shift without burning the clutch, though the POS CDV makes it more difficult. I never dumped the clutch over 2k rpm. They were all defective from the factory; various imperfections in bearings and so forth.

Yes, I should have driven it more than 14k in a year and a half. If I had, I probably could have lemoned the POS (15k/15months).
Old 06-21-07, 08:41 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Yeah I live well enough to spend 70 on an oil change and not go hungry. I would say 40k for a glorified/rebadged camry is more of a ripoff but hey it's your money
Go troll elsewhere little boy, no one is interested in what you think.
Old 06-21-07, 08:43 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neova
it's a crime to be charged that much and still have to pay for painted bumers/sideskirts!
Probally all taxes, your govt. gotta pay for health care somehow right?
Old 06-22-07, 02:31 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think just the "Lexus" name sounds expensive enough to the average person. I get comments like you are getting paid too much.. or did you get a promotion when I told them I got a Lexus. However, I probably didn't really spend more those big SUVs or loaded or modded trucks in the parking lot.

I don't see the IS being the lesser of the Lexus, it's just a smaller car so that happens to be cheaper? Keep in mind that the 2IS Lexus brand is around the world now even in Japan.. not a rebadged toyota.
Old 06-22-07, 02:57 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Who cares what people think. Just because the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class, Audi A4, Lexus IS/ES, Acura TSX/TL, Infinifi G are all labeld as Entry Level Luxury cars that doesn't mean they not good cars. It also doesn't mean the owners can't afford the top tier model either. I for one would never buy an S-Class or 7 Series simply because the car is too large for me.

Too me, those people that look down on others for driving lower model or lower end cars are all a bunch of snobby I'm better than you type of people.
Old 06-22-07, 04:09 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

However, it always felt like a rebadged toyota to me especially as it was never as luxurious as the other Lexus models. I never really felt like I had a Lexus, but rather a high end Toyota. Despite the quality I could never feel that Lexus tried hard enough to create a unique Lexus sports sedan, and took the short cut to convert the existing Altezza for the USDM market.
They never did, it WAS a re-badged Toyota...

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
If Lexus hadnt opened in japan 1-2yrs (?) back i'd debadge my car and put the toy badges on, actually i was looking forward to doing it...
Me too. I did that with my TTZ and TL actually.

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
in fact the TSX is the JDM accord and the American accord is called an inspire which was engineered to be its own car.
The last generation Honda Inspire was re-badged to become the 2nd gen Acura TL.

No power seats - are you growing up like a teenager? my seat position never moves and I don't let anyone else drive it so why do you need adj???
No CD changer/audio upgrade - I would've deleted radio/CD all together if it was offered from as factory delete option. I do need AC though.
No NAV - Are you all females who don't know where you are going??
No sun/moonroof - get a vert if you need sun on your bald heads. Otherwise it's just dead weight on the wrong place.
Why do you need A/C? Are you afraid to sweat like a real man?

Power seats, CD changer/audio upgrade, Navigation, sun/moonroof are luxury features.

Maybe you don't need all that in your M3, but I'd rather spend the money getting every option available in a 330.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Too me, those people that look down on others for driving lower model or lower end cars are all a bunch of snobby I'm better than you type of people.
Exactly.
Old 06-22-07, 07:49 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Well the way I always looked at it was the 3 series and IS series both didnt make me feel like the C class did. The C class IMO is a cheap, couldnt afford a real one looking car. I have always felt that way about it. The other two, just dont look as cheezy...
Old 06-22-07, 08:01 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
It goes:
IS-ES-GS-SC-LS
SUV: RX-GX-LX
IS is more expensive than ES right?
Old 06-22-07, 08:23 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

why do some people keep on calling the IS a re badged Camry??
I mean if a re badged Camry looks and has more luxurious features then the BMW, I guess I don't mind having a Toyota then.

I guess BMW owners feel that by calling the lexus a toyota there trying to imply that we wasted money
Old 06-22-07, 08:53 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t.is350.h
Not the IS250.

Originally Posted by yemilipede
why do some people keep on calling the IS a re badged Camry??
I mean if a re badged Camry looks and has more luxurious features then the BMW, I guess I don't mind having a Toyota then.
Because those people are retarded. The ES is the real sibling of the Camry.
Old 06-22-07, 09:29 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I think the IS suffers because lots of people see the ES as a glorified Camry, so when they see the little brother, the same people will say glorified Corolla.
lol so true, a lot of people ask me if the IS is based on the Corolla.

OP, IMO this car is in a whooole different category from the C-class, no comparison in the gadgets, reliability, power & looks (& this is coming from MB's biggest fan -this is my second non MB car and my first non german, my previous car was CL600) the only drawback is the sound insulation, it's not horrible but not as insulating as german cars at all (or the GS for that matter)... It's totally worth it, just make sure you get the 350 with all the options i'd pick it over the 3 series anyday (the handling difference is true, but not noticeable on everyday driving).
Old 06-22-07, 09:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by t.is350.h
The base price of the ES, $33,470, falls between the base IS250 ($31,425) and IS250 AWD (34,285). Both the IS and ES are in the same price range and both could be called "entry level" Lexus models, but they target different consumers. The ES is "comfort luxury" while the IS is "sport luxury".

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Because those people are retarded. The ES is the real sibling of the Camry.
The IS is nothing like the Camry. It is smaller than the Camry, rear wheel drive, and based on an entirely different platform (Lexus GS). The ES is based on the Camry platform, but with different sheet metal, styling and materials. One might call the ES an upmarket sibling, but it's hardly accurate to call it a rebadged Camry.

Last edited by Bichon; 06-22-07 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-22-07, 09:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

as for the glorified camry comment, go to euro the BMWs there are more stripped down, weaker engines cloth interiors. The ones sent to the US have the content and features increased on them to be sold here. Then a USDM BMW is just a glorified euro BMW.

Sorry BMW is no different than Toyota when marketting their luxury models for the US. Try again
Old 06-22-07, 09:58 AM
06Lex350
Driver

This tends to be a problem with Mercedes because they have an established brand with way more history than Lexus. So for the baby benz, it used to be a problem especially during the 190E era but the C-class has improved a whole lot.

The BMW 3-series never had that problem because it was the benchmark sports sedan and it was meant to be a luxury sports rather than just plain luxury. Although when it came out with the 316i hatchback it also suffered an image problem because it was UGLY and was screaming "I can't afford the full 3-series sedan so I bought one with its *** chopped off to save $3000".

Having owned both the 1st and now 2nd Gen IS, I would have to say the the IS300 didn't really fit in the Lexus gene pool. It was like a black sheep of the family, with its techno gadgetry looks and innovative designs (the famous Atezza lights). However, it always felt like a rebadged toyota to me especially as it was never as luxurious as the other Lexus models. I never really felt like I had a Lexus, but rather a high end Toyota. Despite the quality I could never feel that Lexus tried hard enough to create a unique Lexus sports sedan, and took the short cut to convert the existing Altezza for the USDM market.

With that said, I was impressed and fell in love right away with the current 2nd gen IS. It was NOT a rebadged toyota (in fact Toyota decided to sell the Lexus brand in Japan now), it looked unique and sporty yet it was readily identifiable as a Lexus Luxury Sports Sedan. The interior and exterior was much better than the 1st IS, and our current model has a look of EURO feel to it. It came standard with flared fenders, curvy lines, plush interior - there was very few things we'd need to do to enhance the car. Even when stock the new IS looks like a million dollars.

So I would say "NO", the IS does not look like a cheap entry level luxury car. I get a lot of compliments from other drivers, they all think its a much more expensive car than it is!
I agree with this post 100%. I think the C-class is very nice, and although I like my IS better, it's still a very nice car. I don't think the C-class has much of a stigma to it in terms of being a cheaper benz. Sure, people know it's not an S550, but it's still a "benz" and it does look very classy, if somewhat bland (for my tastes). The current IS is definitely a standout, at least in my experience. I get compliments all the time and even some thumbs up from other non-IS Lexus owners. I think the 2GIS is like the 3-series in that it avoids the "cheapest model" stigma because it has such great styling and performance.

Quick Reply: Perception of IS vs. other entry level lux brands?