IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I Don't Usually Ask for help But...

Old 06-21-07, 02:51 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy I Don't Usually Ask for help But...

Yesterday I took my wheels off, and I am glad I did because this is what was discovered...

As you can see this is a pretty bad bend, I don't know if it can even be classified as a "bend." The tire is split above it as well, but still holding air in it. Where do I start with this??? Can it be banged out?, or do I need to purchase a whole new barrel? Never have I once been faced with this kinda damage on the inside of the wheel, so I'm kinda clueless on how to fix it.

Oh & How about the tire? Is this one still okay to use, or do I have to buy a whole new one on top of this?
Old 06-21-07, 02:55 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG.... ouch... Sorry man, cant help you there, but i did want to say dont ever hesitate to ask any of us for help, advice, for opinions, or thoughts! Thats what we are all here to do! Because we want to!!! We are all CL brothers and sisters here!
Old 06-21-07, 03:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Wow. That wheel took a wicked hit. It can't be "banged out" and restored because the metal is torn. A highly skilled welder might be able to weld it up, but with a three piece wheel you'd be far ahead to send it back to the manufacturer and have the inner hoop replaced. They can also check the center section to ensure it isn't damaged as well.

The tire is just plain unsafe. You have no idea what kind of damage was done to the tire's carcass. It might be OK, and it might blister and blowout very quickly.

This is the kind of stuff I hate to see. I was in Brooklyn just last weekend, and I hit some really rough streets while I was there. I guess I should go inspect my tires carefully...
Old 06-21-07, 03:02 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Safety first!

Well, first and foremost, you need a new tire. That tear in the rubber can cause a blowout.

Two, the wheel itself should not do any more damage to a new tire. You should still flatten it like fixing a bent rim. Another option is just getting a new wheel which is about $150 on eBay.
Old 06-21-07, 03:03 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rim can be fix by a good shop.. The tire got to go.. Looks dangerous to ride on it if you ask me.
Old 06-21-07, 03:03 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

That looks like some serious damage. Glad your tire didn't blow when that happened......

I don't know if the wheel can be repaired, but in my uneducated opinion, I would never continue to drive on a tire that looked like that. I once got a small puncture in the sidewall and had to get a new tire. That looks much worse.....
Old 06-21-07, 03:06 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, thats a first for me. New tire... i'll say new rim.
Old 06-21-07, 03:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Two, the wheel itself should not do any more damage to a new tire. You should still flatten it like fixing a bent rim. Another option is just getting a new wheel which is about $150 on eBay.
I would be careful with that advice. While the damage is on the lip and the tire doesn't contact the lip in the picture, every rotation of the tire causes it to deform and that lip is part of what supports the tire. Leaving a cut in the metal like that could saw through a new tire very quickly. It should be properly repaired by a professional wheel repair shop or the manufacturer.
Old 06-21-07, 03:09 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I think the rim can be fix. It'll cost about 100-150. I'm not sure how strong the rim is when it fixed.
Old 06-21-07, 03:12 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Thank's guys for being so helpful...

Lobux: Thanks buddy, Brooklyn is a rough place SON. No not the neighborhood's, the Streets lol! Even though the tire isn't loosing air, it still might be a hazard huh?

Phillip:Might go ahead and fix the rim. Don't remeber the last time I saw Element114's on ebay though LOL!

Wish I knew when the damage actually happened, so I can figure out how long I have been driving on the tire like this.
Old 06-21-07, 04:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Phillip:Might go ahead and fix the rim. Don't remeber the last time I saw Element114's on ebay though LOL!
Whoops! I thought that was the stock wheel...
Old 06-21-07, 04:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I've never seen a seroiusly damaged cast wheel do anything but crack or break a chunk off. Those wheels are well worth fixing right.
Old 06-21-07, 04:28 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the inner barrel can definely be fix, that's the beauty of having 2-3 piece wheels. They bend easy and they can be fix easy.
Old 06-21-07, 04:37 PM
rroy
Pole Position

brutal

I agree with lobux, those wells are worth fixing right. About how much for a new barrel?
Old 06-21-07, 04:42 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

I would send it back in to be re hooped, i made mistake of repairing a 22" billet specialties rim, i hit a railroad track and destroyed the inner lip. I had it basically re welded and/ repaired a month later it started to vibrate violently, well the weld broke and the rim tore even further....... so i had to have it rehooped.

I think i paid billet specialties about 350-400 to repair the wheel but the wheel was 1200.00 so it was worth it.

Last edited by kilo6_one; 06-21-07 at 04:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Don't Usually Ask for help But...