IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine noise level

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 09:17 AM
insider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the Lexus engine is pretty loud. Here are some offical interior noise levels of the BMW 335i and Lexus IS350:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124138
BMW 335i
Db @ Idle: 45.5
Db @ Full Throttle: 74.7
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 62

Lexus is350
Db @ Idle: 40.9
Db @ Full Throttle: 77.2
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 63.2

The Lexus is quiet during idle but for some reason it is especially noisey at full throttle.
Old 06-18-07, 10:45 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldc
How many of you heard the noise of a Hybrid engine? I bet you none and this includes me. This is what i'm meaning to say about engine noise whether it's the fan noise or whatever. I am 100% sure that a lexus (if not GS, the LS) is hybrid like in terms of engine noise at idle and no it's not the new Hybrid GS. One of the Lexus features I have always praised is this quietness of the engine
I've heard and been in a hybrid Lexus. Had a RX400h as a loaner and was really impressed how quiet it was.
Old 06-18-07, 11:05 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ldc
I don't mean the exhaust. I meant the engine heard from the outside and when idling.
Why does this matter???

Originally Posted by ldc
Even though it doesnt cost as much as the GS/LS, the Is is nontheless a luxury car, and being one, i would think engine noise should be highly addressed.
Why do you think the LS costs twice as much?

Aren't you asking for a bit too much from the entry level Lexus? All you should expect to compare it to are cars in the similar price range and purpose, and for most measures, the IS compares favorably in that range.

You can't compare entry level cars with the top of the line models in the same brand, or else you'd have LS owners complaining that their car is no quieter than the IS.

It's like asking why First Class passengers get better food than coach despite the fact you're both flying on a more luxurious airline (e.g. Singapore, Virgin, etc.)
Old 06-18-07, 02:33 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Why does this matter???

Why do you think the LS costs twice as much?

Aren't you asking for a bit too much from the entry level Lexus? All you should expect to compare it to are cars in the similar price range and purpose, and for most measures, the IS compares favorably in that range.

You can't compare entry level cars with the top of the line models in the same brand, or else you'd have LS owners complaining that their car is no quieter than the IS.

It's like asking why First Class passengers get better food than coach despite the fact you're both flying on a more luxurious airline (e.g. Singapore, Virgin, etc.)
I don't think it has anyhthig to do with cost. What did they use to quieting the LS's V8? I mean if they can do it to a V8 why couldn't they do it, or more to the point why haven't they done to a v6? I'm not asking for it to be hybrid noise-like, just more quiet to help bring out the extra "luxury" feel to the lexus. Can't ever have too much luxury right?

I know and realised it's an entry level Lexus, and that mine is a base model but what about the top Is model, which costs some $AU20K (around US15K??) ? surely with this price it deserve to be more quiet.
Old 06-18-07, 02:36 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Also don't forget, the 2IS is a whole new car, compare to the 1IS and the engine as i recall is a new age one too.
Old 06-18-07, 05:37 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

I think the silence of the IS350 is deafening!

Old Oiler
Old 06-18-07, 05:52 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

IMO, I wouldn't want a super quiet sport type car. You would want to hear the enigne roar.
Old 06-18-07, 07:22 PM
yogi350
Rookie

I bought the IS because it was quiet. It was the quietest of all the cars i was looking at and it is the quietest car i have ever owned. I dont think the engine or exhaust is too loud but i wouldnt mind even less road noise, thats for sure, texas roads suck.
Old 06-18-07, 07:38 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL the noise of the IS... what noise? My other garage queen is mild *bolt-on* 5.0 mustang... so IS engine noise
Old 06-18-07, 07:40 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

I want hybrid/electric/Ls-like quiet dammmit!!!!!!!

I don't want my car to be like any other cars........
Old 06-18-07, 07:43 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by nabbun
Ever been in a BMW 3 series?

The exhaust is way louder than ours and it kinda bugs me.
I disagree completely here. Every BMW that I have ever been in, except those with tin can aftermarket mufflers, has a nice rumble from the engine compartment, NOT from the muffler.

I can drive my car and listen to the engine sing all day long. However, the exhaust noise coming from the g35 is intolerable to me. I want to hear pistons pumping (especially when driving stick), not the fart-in-a-can exhaust that some people seem to like. For me, this is just plain rice.

The base IS has a nice subtle tone coming from the engine compartment, though it is far more quiet than its competitors. Not better or worse, just different.
Old 06-18-07, 07:48 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

What's the point of the nice rumbling noise when it can't perform?

I know what you mean about the engine noise in the bimmer but it's not a performance noise unless it's a ///M car.
Old 06-18-07, 07:53 PM
SoddingGit
Rookie

Originally Posted by ldc
What's the point of the nice rumbling noise when it can't perform?

I know what you mean about the engine noise in the bimmer but it's not a performance noise unless it's a ///M car.
There is a huge enthusiast following that would disagree with you on that one.

That's like saying that the IS isn't a sport sedan unless its an IS350.
Old 06-18-07, 07:56 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only time that the engine noise bugs me is when i am going though a drive through which is quite a bit. I love ice coffee!
Old 06-18-07, 07:57 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
I want hybrid/electric/Ls-like quiet dammmit!!!!!!!

I don't want my car to be like any other cars........
Then you need to buy a hybrid vehicle. Hybrid vehicles are quiet at idle because the engine is not running. In fact, at a stop, neither the electric nor the gas engine are running - the gas engine only kicks on at full throttle or freeway driving. So please stop comparing Hybrid vehicles to standard gas engines.

The IS is marketed as "Intelligent Sport," not "Intelligent Luxury," hence the emphasis on performance. I for one thought the IS was too quiet... I would dare say that the IS is one of the quietest vehicles in it's peformance and price categories.

Javier

Quick Reply: Engine noise level