IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What the heck did this to my tire?

Old 06-14-07, 10:25 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the heck did this to my tire?

Had only 12,800 miles on my Dunlops. Just put new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on, and don't want this to happen to them, too, so I had an alignment. I figured it had to be too much "tow-out" on the right side that did that. But, the guy showed me the numbers and said they were within spec! If I recall correctly, they were: left -.08*, right -.12* (* = degrees). Not sure of those, but the diff was .04 for sure. Well within spec. (printer wasn't working on the machine.)

The after numbers are:
Front: Left Right
Toe .02 .02
camber -.2 -.3
caster 7.4 7.0
Rear:
Toe .05 .06
camber -.9 -.9

According to an old post by someone, my right front caster is out-of-spec. Is there any way that could have caused the tire wear shown? Is it out enough to worry about it? (I will be watching the new tires!)
Here's that old spec sheet...

What do y'all think?
Old 06-14-07, 11:01 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that same problem, but not at 12,800. at least 20k when it started to show.
Old 06-14-07, 11:13 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Your tire is a little more worn, though. Those stripes weren't showing on mine yet. Did you go get your new tires, and alignment, yet? I seem to remember you were waiting for something... It will be interesting to know if your tow is within spec, like mine was.
Old 06-15-07, 12:52 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Alignment but it being at 12,800 miles and having that is alittle odd. Alot of shops prefer to do alignment every 5,000-8,000 miles but that kind of wear isn't normal....Do you hit a lot of speed humps or pot holes if so then that tends to throw off your alignment pretty quickly.
Old 06-15-07, 05:58 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took my stock rims & tires off at 25K and the tires shown no abnormal wear. In fact, they are good for at least another 5k. Something is wrong there, I have no doubt that the same thing will happen again with your new tires. Take it to the dealership and tell them what happen.
Old 06-15-07, 06:43 AM
dangp
Pole Position

my front right tire also had that same problem, i took it back to sewell of dallas, they did alignment came back in spec, but after a month of so, got my oil changed and they said you have wire showing, talked to the manager, ended up with bridgestones.
Old 06-15-07, 06:55 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You have to stop making only right turns on one wheel!

Koz
Old 06-15-07, 08:00 AM
lexem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hartawan
I have that same problem, but not at 12,800. at least 20k when it started to show.
You have some crop circles on those tires.
Old 06-15-07, 09:26 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dangp
my front right tire also had that same problem, i took it back to sewell of dallas, they did alignment came back in spec, but after a month of so, got my oil changed and they said you have wire showing, talked to the manager, ended up with bridgestones.
So, now, how are the Bridgestones wearing? How many miles do you have on the new ones?
Old 06-15-07, 09:29 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Alignment but it being at 12,800 miles and having that is alittle odd. Alot of shops prefer to do alignment every 5,000-8,000 miles but that kind of wear isn't normal....Do you hit a lot of speed humps or pot holes if so then that tends to throw off your alignment pretty quickly.
I don't recall hitting anything hard enough to mess it up. In theory, I could have knocked it out, and then knocked it back in, but that's stretching credibility, I think.
Old 06-15-07, 09:37 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexem
You have some crop circles on those tires.
That is a very good point! Mine seems to have worn evenly along the edge only, where Hartawan's has patches of uneven wear in the center treads, which I think indicates some kind of suspension or pressure problem. The guy who aligned mine mentioned something about "spring rates", but it's Greek to me. I guess I'll watch my new tires closely for a few hundred miles, and if it starts to wear unevenly, I'll take it to Lexus. Maybe they'll find something to fix under warranty...at least, I can hope.

Correction: After looking closely, again, mine is starting to show the same wear pattern as his - each alternate squiggly in the center tread is worn more than the adjacent ones. That's just like his, except that his are worn more. Don't know what causes that, but it does not seem to be a result of dragging the tire sideways (tow-out), since intuitively that would wear all of the "squigglys" equally.

Last edited by CWS; 06-15-07 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Correction after reviewing the pics, again.
Old 06-15-07, 10:18 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CWS
Your tire is a little more worn, though. Those stripes weren't showing on mine yet. Did you go get your new tires, and alignment, yet? I seem to remember you were waiting for something... It will be interesting to know if your tow is within spec, like mine was.
Yeah I am STILL waiting. Last week, he told me t hat it would be here by yesterday and when I called him he said it's still not done. I am getting extremely pissed off.
Old 11-14-07, 01:19 PM
knuckles
Driver School Candidate

Hey, hate to resurrect this but I just noticed that my tires (both front@17500 miles) are horribly worn on the inside shoulder much like these here. Was anyone able to come to a conclusion?
Old 11-14-07, 01:58 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my 3rd set of fronts in 25K miles, and they are all wearing out on the inside shoulder like that. I blame the roads here that are VERY coarse concrete. They provide awesome wet and dry traction, but tire life sucks big *****.
Old 11-15-07, 05:00 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm on my 3rd set of fronts in 25K miles, and they are all wearing out on the inside shoulder like that. I blame the roads here that are VERY coarse concrete. They provide awesome wet and dry traction, but tire life sucks big *****.
Have all 3 been the Dunlop Sportmax?
I'm going to check my new Michellins again tomorrow (at about 3k), but last I checked (at about 2k) they looked normal. I'm thinking it may be the rubber formulation of the inside/outside edges of the Dunlops that causes that wear.

Update: No scientific measurement was done, but the right front appears to be wearing more on the inside than the outside. Maybe I'll be able to tell better after a few k more miles.

Last edited by CWS; 11-17-07 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Checked the tires again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What the heck did this to my tire?