25.00%
39-49
6.70%
50-65
1.64%
66+
0.60%
Voters: 672. You may not vote on this poll

How Old Were You When You Got Your First Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 10:44 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i got my lexus is350 when i was 17. my parents paid for it up until now since december. but starting june (since i am graduating high school tomorrow) i will be on my own, and thus pay my own car bill. i don't have a job, and im going to community college. but i just have money saved up in the bank that ill probably use for the beginning, until i can find a decent job. i am doing this by choice-my parents would be more than happy to continue paying, but i want this because i need some independence and a small taste of the real world...im somewhat upset cause this means that im gonna have to put rims on hold. at least i just got my system installed, that will leave me satisfied for a little bit.
Old 06-11-07, 05:43 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 23 when I got my IS300. And still love it.
Old 06-11-07, 05:46 PM
mir
Driver

Originally Posted by BucBaby
Wow! Aren't you a lucky one! I hope you deserve it. Are you getting good grades? Are you helping mom and day around the house?

My parents told me when I went to high school and college, that school was my main job. I worked just enough hours for gas money and to put some clothes on lay away from time to time. I drove my mom's Chevy Vega. My dad always loved great wheels so it really looked good. (What's sad is that it was during the gas crunch so he traded our Plymouth Duster with mag wheels, a 350 engine, and a custom rag top sunroof for it - I loved that car!) The trouble was after awhile I had to put a stick in the butterfly to keep it open in order to start it. It died soon after, like all the Vegas did. I then had a Nissan 210. I felt so lucky that my parents helped me like they did.

My 16 year old son just inherited our 12 year old Acura Integra with 85,000 miles and torn leather seats and he's thrilled! It sounds like you're thrilled to have this new car. Please understand what a privilege it is and appreciate how lucky you are.

One more thing. I have a friend whose daughter got a brand new Toyota Celica the day before her 16th birthday. Her mom let her take it out for a spin with a friend. She ran a stop sign on a busy road and was hit by a truck. Both teenagers died. I will never forget that day, and it scares me so to let my son drive. But I hope I prepared him for the privilege of driving. Remember that driving is a privilege no matter what your wheels are.

Take care and enjoy your new cars...whatever age you are.
Great post ! All parents should think twice or more until they are sure that their son/daughter can handle a car before giving one to them.

Now on to topic. Bought at 33 (me and wife together) paid in full. So we won it from day one.
Old 06-11-07, 05:48 PM
mir
Driver

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
I feel a bit old in this forum, but I love my car and feel like I'm in my 20's again when I drive it.

I could have bought a Lexus a lot sooner, but my priority was getting my wife through medical school, and my family didn't have the money to buy me one when I was in high school or college.

I'm envious of those in their teens that have an IS. This is a car that would have landed me the head cheerleader in high school if I could have had it back then.

Don't you think you are better off now with a doctor wife ?

Time shifts our priorities !
Old 06-11-07, 07:43 PM
Unreal
Driver School Candidate

I'm 25 and last week bought a white is250. Traded in my 06 Evo MR on it. So far I like the lexus, but it needs some stuff done like wheels and stereo otherwise I'm going to go crazy.
Old 06-11-07, 08:14 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
I'm envious of those in their teens that have an IS. This is a car that would have landed me the head cheerleader in high school if I could have had it back then.

No, I disagree. We always appreciate things more when we have to work for them. Regardless of what anyone says, a teen doesn't have the life experiences to fully appreciate a car like a Lexus, or a Patek Philippe watch, or other pure luxury products.
Old 06-12-07, 01:35 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by Evitzee
a teen doesn't have the life experiences to fully appreciate a car like a Lexus, or a Patek Philippe watch, or other pure luxury products.

what do you mean by life experiences? my dad is an avid watch collector and taught me everything i know about life--including watches. just the other day i was at my friends house and he was wearing a patek he got from his dad. (i swear it's a women's model). i knew exactly what it was before i even got close and was like, yo man that's a patek!.

my dad is a jewelry designer- i can tell diamonds real from fake from 10 yards away. so now that im 18 i dont have the "life experience" to know and understand these things. i can appreciate a good timepiece and a 5carat vvs1 trillion cut--i understand the rarity of both. end the blanket generalizations. you don't have to be OLD to know your shhit.
Old 06-16-07, 03:13 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ "yo man that's a patek!."? rofl.

it's like what the old spice commercial says... EXPERIENCE. /OT
Old 06-16-07, 06:23 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_is350
what do you mean by life experiences? my dad is an avid watch collector and taught me everything i know about life--including watches. just the other day i was at my friends house and he was wearing a patek he got from his dad. (i swear it's a women's model). i knew exactly what it was before i even got close and was like, yo man that's a patek!.

my dad is a jewelry designer- i can tell diamonds real from fake from 10 yards away. so now that im 18 i dont have the "life experience" to know and understand these things. i can appreciate a good timepiece and a 5carat vvs1 trillion cut--i understand the rarity of both. end the blanket generalizations. you don't have to be OLD to know your shhit.
Son ... no matter how experienced you think you are you have no idea how the world really works. You have barely scratched the surface of what life is about and the interactions that go on between people. As most young people you are focused on material things, and young people always think they know everything. But check back in 20, 30 and 40 years, you'll admit that you didn't know jack at age 18. I know, it's hard to believe, but that is just the way it is.
Old 06-16-07, 09:12 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

I'm 33, and if I met my 18 year old self I'd shove my boot up his ****.... This goes for pretty much any/every teenager
Old 06-16-07, 10:40 AM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

what do you mean by life experiences? ... end the blanket generalizations. you don't have to be OLD to know your shhit.

Geezus! There is more to life than knowing about jewelry, watches, and cars. That IS the problem with people in their teens to early 20's these days. Your quote above illustrates the point perfectly.

Sorry, there are some things that you will only learn with age. For example, instead of blowing my wad (cash) on a $42K car when I graduated college, I invested the money I had. It was right in the middle of the tech boom of 1997 to 2000. The $42K that I would have blown instead multiplied many times over, and I wound up building a house with it...a house that I could have paid off in cash if I wanted to. I didn't have this mindset when I was a teenager.

Instead of getting your daddies to buy you a $42K car, why don't you ask for a $20K car, and ask that the other $22K be invested for you? You can then have a down payment ready to go when you graduate college and buy your first home. Better yet, drive dad's jalopy for as long as you can, and ask that the full $42K be invested for you. You'll be amazed at the stash you will have in a few years.

Regardless of what anyone says, a car is a HORRIBLE investment, and one in which you are guaranteed to lose your money on from day 1. However, with age, you learn how to manage your money (and maybe even the money that is given to you), so that you can buy whatever you want whenever you want. As an example, every car I buy is paid for in full on the day of purchase. I walk into a dealership and write a check in full. That is because at this stage of life (I'm 33 years old now), a car purchase requires only a small fraction of my family's annual income.
Old 06-16-07, 10:41 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Son ... no matter how experienced you think you are you have no idea how the world really works. You have barely scratched the surface of what life is about and the interactions that go on between people. As most young people you are focused on material things, and young people always think they know everything. But check back in 20, 30 and 40 years, you'll admit that you didn't know jack at age 18. I know, it's hard to believe, but that is just the way it is.
i dont have experience in What? i mean if you wanna talk to me about how the world really works then i can probably school you evitzee. don't underestimate me, i read more books than you think and theyre all about our government. talk to me about capitalism.

Last edited by IS_NIICE; 06-16-07 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-16-07, 10:47 AM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

No, I disagree. We always appreciate things more when we have to work for them. Regardless of what anyone says, a teen doesn't have the life experiences to fully appreciate a car like a Lexus, or a Patek Philippe watch, or other pure luxury products.
You're correct, but my post didn't imply that I would have actually APPRECIATED the vehicle if I would have had it in high school. In fact, I know that I appreciate what I have now much more than I did back then.

I know one thing, I have twins that are almost 3 years old now. When they turn 16, they will be driving the vehicles that I drive today. One of them will receive my 2007 IS250 in the year 2020.
Old 06-16-07, 10:58 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

and just so you guys know. i just paid this months car payment. out of my own money that i earned. you all should be proud cause im paying for the rest of it now too.
Old 06-16-07, 11:13 AM
jackblack7
Pole Position

and just so you guys know. i just paid this months car payment. out of my own money that i earned. you all should be proud cause im paying for the rest of it now too.
That's great. It really is. You should be proud. And you're doing better than most your age.

But seriously, read your posts 10 years from now and you'll understand. It's not even worth arguing about, imo, because you probably won't listen.

This reminds me of the scene in Good Will Hunting when Matt Damon thinks he knows all because he's read all the books. But Robin Williams shuts him down because, you know, there really is nothing like experience.

Quick Reply: How Old Were You When You Got Your First Lexus?