IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 LSD Help a gal out

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 12:49 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 LSD Help a gal out

Hi guys... I'm on the fence between an 08 IS350, 335i, and G37. Does the IS350 come with LSD? Also, when I "build your Lexus" on the Lexus website, I do not see a "sport package" option. Does the IS350 come with a sport suspension as standard? I would be selecting the most expensive premium option. Your input is appreciated!

BTW: My 2 cents, the fit and finish of the IS350 seems superior to that of the 335i, which of course does not have LSD. The 335i sure is powerful, not that the IS350 is lacking to far behind. Also, since the G37 is not out yet, I checked out the new 07 G35S. Although very nice and a neater navigation display, the G35S also did not seem up to Lexus fit and finish. Augh...decisions...decisions....
Old 06-05-07, 12:55 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Hiya. Another girl with a possible 350!!

The IS350 does not actually come with an LSD. I forgot what it is called, but it simulates, and is basically an electric LSD. I don't believe its an IRS.

If you are looking for Sporty, road feel, and the *ultimate* driving experience the 335i is more for you. If you want sophistication, with Luxory, fast, and good fit and finish Lexus is for you. If you want something cheaper with all those fun features, and fit and finish not really number one then Infiniti is for you.

Test drive all cars before you make a decision. And! Yes, the car comes with a sport option, although it only lowers the car an inch, nothing else really sporty about it.

---
And there you go Phillip fixed what I had wrong. In his post, however, I still remember reading that we have an electric LSD in our cars.. maybe more of a simulation than anything.
Old 06-05-07, 12:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the Club!

No, the IS does not have a true LSD. It has "pre-torque LSD," which is another term for Traction Control...

Some regional allocations do hot have certain packages or options, but it's out there. Check with other regions, or see if your dealer can get a car that you want from other dealers or regions.

Sport suspension is not standard. The Sport suspension is 1/2" lower than stock suspension.

As for the choice between the IS350 vs 335i vs G37, you have to decide if you want Luxury vs Performance vs Value (respectively). Most people will recommend the IS because this is a Lexus forum, but we have a few members that have chosen the 335i for more performance, or the G35 for more value. The IS trumps both in luxury and quality.
Old 06-05-07, 12:59 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drive them all! Since you are thinking about an '08 model anyway why not just wait till they are all out and test drive them one at a time then?
Old 06-05-07, 01:02 PM
josephlee
Driver

I went on the US Lexus website a couple of times, where you have to type in your ZIP code and things like that (I live in Canada, where you dont need to do that- you may want to go to Lexus.ca and click on build to check out for option/packages available. They may not be 100% same, but will be similar I suppose). Therefore, when you build your car, they will provide options available only to the cars in your area. I am sure 350 does not come sport package standard. You will need to add the Sports Package option, in your case, you may need to special order it if you area is out of it.
The Sports Package comes with Limited Slip Differential (LSD) if thats what you asked about.

I agree that the IS has the best bit and finish. I also think that the IS looks more high-class and elegent than the other two competitors.
Old 06-05-07, 01:02 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

I was in your same situation, and can only say if ur for speeding and feeling the road (which I dont care for) then get the BMW, if your for finish and real luxury gadgets then get the lexus. If you want to save money upfront go with the infiniti
Old 06-05-07, 01:14 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

I'm pretty sure LSD is only offered in Canada and not the US, and then only comes on the 350.

Originally Posted by josephlee
The Sports Package comes with Limited Slip Differential (LSD) if thats what you asked about.
Old 06-05-07, 01:17 PM
josephlee
Driver

Originally Posted by Koofteh
I'm pretty sure LSD is only offered in Canada and not the US, and then only comes on the 350.
hahaha, opps...sorry i didnt know
Old 06-05-07, 01:19 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

If you're thinking of the G37, you're going to be waiting a while, aren't you?

But honestly, I would be willing to wait if I was buying a car right now, too, because like you, I think the G37 looks very tempting. My decision would have been much tougher if I made my purchase a year later. The engine Infiniti is putting in that car sounds like it's going to be amazing. Some automotive publication (I forget which) dyno'd the car and found it to have 51 more rwhp than the G35... so the car could have as much as ~350-360 bhp.

I don't regret my IS350 purchase at all, though. Still a great car, and better in many ways... but I'll be damned if those aren't some spicy specs. (I also VERY much like the built-in harddrive and flash reader in the G series.) So what I'm saying is to wait for that car to hit dealers, then give it a look-see so you can make a better decision.

As for the 335i... As much as I try to keep an open mind, I personally wouldn't touch a Bimmer with a ten-foot pole... but that's just me.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 06-05-07 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-05-07, 01:26 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

so uh....just wondering why youre so concerned about a car having an LSD? if youre aiming for a sporty ride (ie. harsh) then you dont really need the LSD to achieve that. some lowering springs or sport package will do that just fine. i like the new G35 and IS a lot.
Old 06-05-07, 01:36 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
you dont really need the LSD to achieve that.
She could be a drifter. I know as soon as TRD subcontracts someone to make a LSD for my car i'll be one of the first in line.
Old 06-05-07, 01:42 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if she was a drifter, she certainly wouldnt be looking at a car with foot pedal e-brake!

i'd still love a LSD for some sideways fun. you can slide in the IS350, but mostly gravity slides. would be SO fun with 306hp and a LSD!!!
Old 06-05-07, 01:56 PM
Red@8
Rookie

Why not just order the OEM parts for the LSD from a Lexus Canada dealer.

Wonder how much that would be?!?!?
Old 06-05-07, 02:03 PM
DropTopGal
Lead Lap

Thanks for the feedback guys. LOL NO, I'm not a "drifter". Living here in South Florida, I've found that the LSD comes in handy on wet highway roads, even if the car is equiped with traction / stability control.

Of my many car purchases, this one is a tough decision. To me, reliability is paramount and through experience, Lexus, Toyota, and Honda have always proven to be most reliable, with Nissan / Infiniti close behind. Two BMWs in the past and I just don't trust them (based on personal experience).

At first I was considering the new M3, but after all of the options, I don't think the car is worth upward toward $70k. The 335i is great, butttt....as the miles add up, I just don't want the headache. Then of course the new G37 will be out in a few months and plenty supply by the end of the year. Great performance, decent Luxury, but not Lexus quality. I don't mind a fraction of a second here or there in terms of performance. After all, 0-60 in 5.3 or 5.1...give me a break-->so close that it really doesn't matter.

What I find with the 08 IS350: 3rd year run, most quirks should be worked out, Lexus reliable, highest fit n finish, performance and feel that is so close to the competition that it is not really an issue.

The G37 on the other hand: 1st year worries, however Infiniti has learned from the G35, so issues should be minor, will out perform the IS350, all be it, not by much, neat blue instruments and better navigation look, larger 19" wheels and larger brakes, a suspension with more sport focus than cushy ride.

Oh, decisions...decisions... BTW: I'll be turning in an 05 S2000 which has been a 100% reliable and fun car, but I'm just tired of the tight interior and the top down driving has worn off me for now. Hence the name "droptopgal", ala S2000.
Old 06-05-07, 02:07 PM
Koofteh
Pole Position

^ Well based on what you've said I'd recommend the IS... it's not as sporty as the BMW but the IS350 should be plenty of fun to drive anyway. I'd just forgo the LSD issue... it might be helpful but I'm sure it's not a necessity for wet highway driving down there?

Although I'd disagree the new M3 isn't worth upwards of $70g... that's gonna be a V8 monster.

Quick Reply: IS350 LSD Help a gal out