IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What sort of problems/incontinences is your 2nd generation IS encountering?
Excessive brake dust
62.64%
Wind noise
12.45%
Interior rattles
40.00%
Soft paint (easily chipped)
41.89%
Weak performance (OEM/Aftermarket)
10.19%
Excessive safety restrictions (on-move disabling etc)
19.62%
I have none of the problems/inconveniences listed above
9.81%
Other
15.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

What problems did your 2Gen IS encounter?

Old 06-05-07, 03:59 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What problems did your 2Gen IS encounter?

The 2nd Generation IS is not living up to my expectations; I see more people complaining by the day and I would like to see which problems are the most common. The intention of this poll is to let Lexus know of our problems more than to put-off potential buyers or make you feel worst about your car.

Please check all problems that apply and if you have any other problems specify them. Multiple selections are permitted.
Old 06-05-07, 05:21 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

nothing so far, knock on wood. 21K miles in a year and three months w/out issues.
Old 06-05-07, 06:31 AM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

The brake dust is very annoying. I'd have to clean my rims twice a day if maybe it stopped raining one day this week.

My only main gripes are rattles and horrid MPG.
Old 06-05-07, 06:34 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to add "Excessive rear view mirror vibration". I think a lot of 2nd generation IS owners have that problem.

Also "Excessive road noise" might be another good option.

Brake dust, soft paint, and excessive safety restrictions are top on my list that you've listed.
Old 06-05-07, 07:07 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh... well about half of those problems have been fixed with the appropriate TSIBs though...
Old 06-05-07, 07:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only two things:

Soft Paint = got a clear bra.

Brake Dust = fixed with TSIB

If you have problems with rattles or wind noise, it's a matter of simple physical diagnostics. Then you fix it. There is always a fix for everything.
Old 06-05-07, 10:14 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
nothing so far, knock on wood. 21K miles in a year and three months w/out issues.
Im with you...IMO I think people are just being way too **** about things, cmon things like rattling and wind noise?? Are you kidding me? Turn on the radio you wont hear anything, or if you have an exhaust system then you wont either. I cant believe how many people ***** about little problems. I know I will get flamed but I dont care, Ive already been flamed before here so oh well. Things like brake dust...didnt bother me, if you want an easy fix get new pads, done. Simple problems that need simple solutions.
Old 06-05-07, 10:15 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

^^+1 100% agree
Old 06-05-07, 10:31 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

I chose the wind noise, interior rattles, soft paint, weak performance, and excessive safety restrictions. I cannot stress enough how weak the 2gen IS300 feels, 228 hp... probably less than 200 bhp

Originally Posted by brel523
You might want to add "Excessive rear view mirror vibration". I think a lot of 2nd generation IS owners have that problem.

Also "Excessive road noise" might be another good option.

Brake dust, soft paint, and excessive safety restrictions are top on my list that you've listed.
I would have added them but i don't know how to edit the poll. IMO, the "excessive rear view mirror vibration" is normal since it is mounted to the windshield, but the "excessive road noise" is spot on.

Philip, as far as i know the brake dust TSIB is only taking place in USA and perhaps Canada... How can i reduce the wind noise coming from the doors/windows and the moon roof? all sealings are in mint condition. I know that many of these problems can be eliminated or reduced but I am against taking apart a new luxury car to fix it! (mine has less than 7,500 miles on it) you would expect a higher quality from lexus, how come the new GS has a superior interior insulation and the IS doesn't?!
Old 06-05-07, 10:43 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Im with you...IMO I think people are just being way too **** about things, cmon things like rattling and wind noise?? Are you kidding me? Turn on the radio you wont hear anything, or if you have an exhaust system then you wont either. I cant believe how many people ***** about little problems. I know I will get flamed but I dont care, Ive already been flamed before here so oh well. Things like brake dust...didnt bother me, if you want an easy fix get new pads, done. Simple problems that need simple solutions.
lol no no .. no flaming. I am totally with you on the break dust, it doesn't bother me either but the wind noise (on my IS) is really annoying. perhaps some of us don't have to use highways a lot but many of us do. Plus I can understand that many 2gen IS owners are young and might put up with excessive wind noise by turning the vol up but I can imagine that this won't be convenient to all age groups and different personalities... In my case I daily turn the music up on my way to work but would prefer absolute silence on my way back to home especially after a hard working day (+ a long ride & excessive wind noise... it just gets to me).
Old 06-05-07, 10:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kattanh3
Philip, How can i reduce the wind noise coming from the doors/windows and the moon roof? all sealings are in mint condition. I know that many of these problems can be eliminated or reduced but I am against taking apart a new luxury car to fix it! (mine has less than 7,500 miles on it) you would expect a higher quality from lexus, how come the new GS has a superior interior insulation and the IS doesn't?!
Unfortunately, because of price and quality differences, the GS will have better insulation than the IS.

The ES350 also has design flaws in regards to wind noise. Here is a link that may help reduce such nuances:

Wind Noise DIY Fix (on ES350)

It is a DIY, but if you want to fix it, it's an easy $5 job with a few strips of velcro.

By the way, this is for "Wind Noise." "Road Noise" is typically caused by lower quality tires...
Old 06-05-07, 11:31 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kattanh3
The 2nd Generation IS is not living up to my expectations;
Sounds more like you want LS quality, BMW performance, and magic paint that doesn't chip at an IS price...

Many of the problems on this list should have been known before purchase via a test drive or some forum reading. I don't understand the complaint about "weak performance" and safety restrictions... Those specs are completely clear to you when you bought the car... and if the wind noise and rattles are a problem, well, there's some tradeoffs... 1) different design, with perhaps a performance and MPG tradeoff. 2) keep the performance, jack up the price for higher quality materials.

Either way, the designers of the car pretty much said for an MSRP of X, you get car Y. You can't say you want car Y+1 for the price of X.
Old 06-05-07, 12:42 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

I'll admit that I'm all for holding Lexus [and other Marquee makers] to a higher standard, but I have to ask what other vehicles are you comparing your concerns to...? My new IS350 is the 18th vehicle I've owned [my 3rd Lexus] and yes there are some issues like any other car, but in regards to my previous vehicles in this class that I’ve owned; especially the G35 [even the new one] - this car is way better built IMO.

Issues like wind/road noise [changing the OEM tires here did help a-lot], MPG, squeaks and rattles, fit-n-finish / assembly quality are far-far worse in the other vehicles in this class from what I’ve been exposed to. No car is perfect and immune to issues; and purchasing a specific car is always a compromise in some way, but the ISx50 – especially the IS350 is really a fantastic car for the $$$$.

Hope you find happiness w/your purchase….
Old 06-05-07, 01:06 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Is the road noise, due to the cabin or tires? Is it the kind of nice that after a while you have to pop your ear or just a noise as in loud noise in high speed that can be solved by turning up the radio? Does that make sense?
Old 06-05-07, 01:32 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Had to have non-ML CD player/radio replaced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What problems did your 2Gen IS encounter?