Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Anyone feel that the steering wheel is too soft and slippery?

Old 05-28-07, 05:21 PM   #1
tracerit
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default Anyone feel that the steering wheel is too soft and slippery?

I test drove one today and it's the right size and shape, but I find that the leather used is real soft and I never had a good grip unless I squeezed harder. I'm coming from an 04 Accord LX which is not leather wrapped but there are small perforated holes that gives me a good grip. I LOVE everything about the IS350 aside from the wheel.

I also liked how it looks matte and flat instead of that shiny glossy look that I see on my friend's Acura (granted he's had it for a year now). He doesn't condition it with a leather product either. Does the IS350's wheel stay matte or will it become glossy also?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 05:31 PM   #2
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I test drove one today and it's the right size and shape, but I find that the leather used is real soft and I never had a good grip unless I squeezed harder. I'm coming from an 04 Accord LX which is not leather wrapped but there are small perforated holes that gives me a good grip. I LOVE everything about the IS350 aside from the wheel.

I also liked how it looks matte and flat instead of that shiny glossy look that I see on my friend's Acura (granted he's had it for a year now). He doesn't condition it with a leather product either. Does the IS350's wheel stay matte or will it become glossy also?
Truth be told, I've never really paid attention to that aspect of the steering wheel. Actually, I think it's just right and mine has stayed with the "matte" look.

Have you tried using those "puffed" areas at the 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock positions? I've noticed that they do help with the grip and for a specific reason.

I think you'll get used to it.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old Oiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 05:37 PM   #3
tracerit
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Oiler View Post
Truth be told, I've never really paid attention to that aspect of the steering wheel. Actually, I think it's just right and mine has stayed with the "matte" look.

Have you tried using those "puffed" areas at the 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock positions? I've noticed that they do help with the grip and for a specific reason.

I think you'll get used to it.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Yeah, I LOVE those thumb grips. It's just when I turned (the turning diameter is amazing btw), I let go of my 9 and 3 positions and my hands slid slightly.
Old 05-28-07, 05:55 PM   #4
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (2)

......uh.... not going to touch that one....
Old 05-28-07, 05:56 PM   #5
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Yeah, I LOVE those thumb grips. It's just when I turned (the turning diameter is amazing btw), I let go of my 9 and 3 positions and my hands slid slightly.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I still think it's a great steering wheel personally though. I like the feel and of it. (That sort of sounds bad.) But really I do like the feel of it personally.

About that turning radious, the IS reminds me of those zero turn riding lawnmowers. It's amazing how tight these things will turn. The only hair raising part about it is when you do turn it to the max, it feels like there is a knife slicing off the outer edge or your front tires. I hope that's just not mine either.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 05-28-07, 06:01 PM   #6
RU514
Lead Lap

On a side note, is the leather synthetic or is it real?
Old 05-28-07, 06:05 PM   #7
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskcon View Post
On a side note, is the leather synthetic or is it real?
I believe it's real genuine Saskatchewan Seal Skin Binding leather. Lexus uses only the best. The steering wheel costs around 30k, the rest of the car is built around it.

No seriously, it's the real deal.
Old 05-28-07, 07:39 PM   #8
dspIS250
Pole Position

i think the steering wheel is great. compared to my eclipse and civic, the lexus has the best grip. i've never driven a car with more grip on the steering wheel. the only way i would expect there to be more grip is if there is one of those rubber steering wheel covers on.
dspIS250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 08:20 PM   #9
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

No complaints or arguements on the steering wheel at all. The fineness of the leather fits well with the overall luxury. Not an issue at all for me.

---------------------------
Evitzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 09:07 PM   #10
r1lee
Pole Position

Overall the leather in this car is too soft and comfortable. Everytime I get into it and drive it, i feel like falling asleep. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad!
2008 Audi R8
r1lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 09:19 PM   #11
bygtimaish
Pole Position

i love the wheel of this car..its so classy and so clean looking. I think the 2IS wheel is by far the best wheel ive seen except for the new audi wheels..those are also very classy
bygtimaish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 10:24 PM   #12
tracerit
Pole Position

I liked how plush the seats were too, I test drove the G35S afterwards and that thing was like a rock compared to IS.
Old 05-29-07, 07:41 AM   #13
NGG
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Oiler View Post
I believe it's real genuine Saskatchewan Seal Skin Binding leather. Lexus uses only the best.
No seriously, it's the real deal.
Interesting...Saskatchewan, huh. It is amazing how marketers will juice up thier products but they may want to do some more research so their credibility is not jeopardized. Saskatchewen is a landlocked Canadian Province, i.e. no access to seas or oceans. Unless Lexus found freshwater seals (never heard of any in Canada) it would ne interesting to know the genesis of this appelation.

On the matter of will the wheel leather turn shiny. Yes, it will over time and prolonged use...skin oils, cleaners, conditioners, etc. I wish it did not as I like the matt appearance and feel.
NGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 07:56 AM   #14
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant
Trader Score: (5)

At least it isn't wood. It looks great, but feels odd on a sports car...

Lexus (you know...), Ducati Multistrada 1200
PhilipMSPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 09:29 AM   #15
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to t.is350.h Send a message via Yahoo to t.is350.h

I don't think it is slippery or soft at all....I like it....
Old 05-29-07, 09:29 AM

Tags
250, civic, club, feel, feels, grip, lexus, road, slipperry, slippery, soft, softer, stearing, steering, turn, wheel