IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone Wished They Had Gotten the GS Instead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 06:33 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I would not call a GS an older person's car.
Neither would I. The styling is attractive and contemporary, and not much more conservative than the 2IS.

My point was that some people, whether they be young or old, prefer to drive a car that is exceptionally quiet, isolates the occupants from feeling bumps and road imperfections, handles well but trades off a bit of driving excitement for a measure of that serene "luxury car" feel. (Lexus made it's name with the original LS400, a car that epitomizes that philosophy.) From my brief test drive of the GS430, while more sporty than an LS, sure felt like it was engineered to appeal to that customer.
Old 05-28-07, 06:35 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RLL
I had some quality issues with the G35, and did not like the service department. After my first visit, I knew I would never buy another Infiniti.

BTW, my retirement home comment was all in fun. The GS is a great car, just not what I was looking for.
I've heard that about Infiniti quality before. Although they are the "highend" of Nissan, I'm not sure they are in the same league as Lexus. No offense I don't mean that at all, RLL. It's just that I've heard proportionately more people with Infiniti having more problems.

Your comment about "retirement home" was hilarious!
Old 05-28-07, 07:37 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

i think the GS is a very good looking car, but for me the IS is better since i was looking for a luxury four door car that still has a very sporty and slightly aggressive look. i think of the GS as all luxury and not very sporty. i never would have guessed that i would buy a lexus, but the new 2IS caught my eye.
Old 05-28-07, 08:30 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bichon
What's with the age-ism here? Just because someone is middle aged doesn't mean they don't prefer sporty cars.

I test drove the GS430 before I bought my IS350, and didn't like it nearly as much. It felt like a much bigger car and just wasn't as fun-to-drive. I totally agree with Ramon's comment; if I needed a car in the GS size class, I probably buy the M45.
Buying a M45 instead of the GS would recreate a whole thread similar to IS vs G35....
Old 05-29-07, 11:26 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Oh yes, think about it all the time. Love my IS350, but if I had known about the GS350, I *might* have waited. When I bought my IS, the GS300 was not worth the extra coin, but the GS350 is another story, basically you're getting the same drivetrain (engine, tranny & brakes) on a slightly larger platform. You can fix the handling issue on the GS (springs, coilovers, sways, etc) but you cannot fix the limited headroom or rear legroom issues of the IS. If I could upgrade to a GS w/out getting hammered on the resale of my IS, I'd do it . . .
Old 05-29-07, 03:32 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

I loved the previous gen GS400 (was my dream car but never got around to buying one). I tested the new GS460 just before I signed up for an IS350, but was not impressed. I didn't care for the GS's instrumentation (too reflective) and slow response. I am still glad I got the IS.
Old 05-29-07, 03:57 PM
LexFather

There is a lot of speculation between some of us CL veterans that the IS and ES have gotten so good, they have taken away GS sales, not really the competition.
Old 05-29-07, 03:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
II tested the new GS460...
You mean the GS430?
Old 05-29-07, 05:20 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

You know, everyone here has really great attributes as "why you liked and thought about the GS and why you ended up with the IS!"

Is it fair to say the IS is the baby brother of the GS or is it fair to say it's, "The Slayer that the GS is trying to keep up with?!"

Great posts, everyone!

Old Oiler.
Old 05-29-07, 05:23 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I did consider the GS 350 when I was purchasing my IS 350. I preferred the smaller sportier size of the IS over the GS's larger size. I also preferred the styling of the IS over the GS. I did also like the GS but just liked the IS that much more. Plus I could get the IS 350 fully optioned out at the price of a less optioned out GS. Us 40's guys need to stick together here man.
Old 05-29-07, 05:27 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

I like the GS, but I find that the front end styling of the IS looks meaner and more aggressive. Those of us in our 30's don't always opt for the GS. Also, I liked the gas mileage of the IS250, and mine has lived up to its billing so far in terms of gas consumption.

Also, with my HIDs on at night, and my fogs on, people driving in front of me just get out of the way. The front grill just looks that much meaner than the GS, though I know that both are similar in style.
Old 05-29-07, 05:29 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I did consider the GS 350 when I was purchasing my IS 350. I preferred the smaller sportier size of the IS over the GS's larger size. I also preferred the styling of the IS over the GS. I did also like the GS but just liked the IS that much more. Plus I could get the IS 350 fully optioned out at the price of a less optioned out GS. Us 40's guys need to stick together here man.
Benny,

You do have a point there about the car being "optioned out" vs. the GS for the money.

To me, oddly they look a lot alike except for the size. I don't know it this was intentional by Lexus or not.

Many times here in my area, I'll see what I know is a Lexus coming down the road while I'm waiting on traffic to make a turn and from a distance I'll think many times, "look at that GS!" and low and behold it turns out to be an IS and vice versa. They look a lot alike.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 06-02-07, 05:00 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

I am 49....absolutely no regrets getting my IS350 over the GS....LOVE my car!
Old 06-02-07, 09:32 AM
RXISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS is nice and very comfortable, but it's a little on the boring side compared to the IS. The GS is something I would buy in my 50's...well, no because then I will want an LS.
Old 06-02-07, 09:59 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, Never wished a GS in the first place! Maybe because I don't like the stock look of it! I prefer stock look of the IS more than the GS...

Quick Reply: Anyone Wished They Had Gotten the GS Instead?