IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear view mirror costs $900!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 03:31 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Rear view mirror costs $900!!!

So I'm once again back at the dealership today to complain that my rubber seals around the bottom of my front doors is loose. They tell me they have to order new seals and to come back on Tuesday. Well as i'm driving home I noticed my rear view mirror was vibrating more than usual and felt loose. I get home and I go to adjust the screw at the bottom of the mirror mount and the damn thing just pops off the windshield before I even make an adjustment! I go immediately back to the dealership and the tech takes a look and says that I need a new mirror and the cost is $900! I said "isn't this covered under warranty? He said "no because I voided the warranty." He said I voided the mirror warranty by sticking a 1oz RFID sticker on the back side of it so I can get in my complex front gates. I assumed he was kidding, but he wasn't. The shop foreman declined to replace the mirror and said it couldn't be reattached. I'm stuck driving a loaner now, because of obvious safety issues with not having my rear view mirror. This is complete BS!! I'll be calling corporate Tuesday for sure about this one. I'm really on the verge of selling this Lexus and get the EVO X when it arrives. When I had my EVO VIII I never had these kind of issues.

Oh I forgot to mention I had my car in for the mirror vibrating about a year ago and they couldn't fix the problem. I since had a new windshield installed after a rock chip 2 or 3 months ago and the mirror actually got better. Trip to service today and all of a sudden this happens. Coincidence!? I think NOT, but the service rep said it was. SOB's!

Thanks for listening to me gripe, but i'm really ticked at this service departments foreman.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-27-07 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-27-07, 03:52 PM
ShoFly
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what dealership?
Old 05-27-07, 03:57 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShoFly
what dealership?
Pohanka. And to think after my last service trip I sent a letter commending what a great service dept they have.
Old 05-27-07, 04:17 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless that sticker caused the mirror to fall off i agee, its total BS.
Old 05-27-07, 04:18 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is bull****. The service manager and I would be having a real close to Jesus talk about that one.
Old 05-27-07, 04:26 PM
PW007
Rookie

Pohanka is a shady dealership. When I was looking to buy my 350 shortly after they came out, I spoke to a saleman and we agreed to price of $2,000 off MSRP. I drove 40 miles the same day to sign the papers and when I arrived the saleman was already gone for the day. Another saleman greeted me and said the previous salesman had told him about my deal. We drove the car and started the paper work. The salesman took the paperwork to the manager for the final sign off and came back and told me that the manager said they would not sell the car for what was agreed to. The manager said he never agreed to the price. I told them to call the saleman I talked to earlier and they "so called" couldn't get in touch with him. In addition, the manager would not come talk to me in person. It was the worst experience I have ever had buying a car. They are a bunch of crooks.
Old 05-27-07, 04:27 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
unless that sticker caused the mirror to fall off i agee, its total BS.
Yeah i'd like to hear the service dept try to explain to corporate how that sticker tag caused my mirror to come loose and fall off. I don't usually get heated, but man this caused me to raise my voice at the service reps and the other customers surely heard me too.
Old 05-27-07, 04:29 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Shady dealership? Hmmmm. I've had nothing but a great experience with them so far. Good deal, no hassle, etc. We'll see what happens when I go in for the 5000 mile maintenance in a few weeks.
Old 05-27-07, 04:40 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PW007
Pohanka is a shady dealership. When I was looking to buy my 350 shortly after they came out, I spoke to a saleman and we agreed to price of $2,000 off MSRP. I drove 40 miles the same day to sign the papers and when I arrived the saleman was already gone for the day. Another saleman greeted me and said the previous salesman had told him about my deal. We drove the car and started the paper work. The salesman took the paperwork to the manager for the final sign off and came back and told me that the manager said they would not sell the car for what was agreed to. The manager said he never agreed to the price. I told them to call the saleman I talked to earlier and they "so called" couldn't get in touch with him. In addition, the manager would not come talk to me in person. It was the worst experience I have ever had buying a car. They are a bunch of crooks.

I actually had a great experience with the sales staff and from what I have seen and heard from others they too have had positive experiences. What has been really shady for me is the damn service dept foreman.
Old 05-27-07, 04:41 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

My mirror appears bonded to the windshield. Could the windshield replacement have loosened the mirror?
Old 05-27-07, 04:47 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jlin101
My mirror appears bonded to the windshield. Could the windshield replacement have loosened the mirror?
The mirror is not bonded to the windshield. The only thing bonded is the flat metal piece that the mirror assemply slides onto. If anything the windshield replacement pretty much fixed most of the vibration issue I had previous. I truly think that one of the techs pulling my car around probably pulled too hard on the mirror or something when he was adjusting.
Old 05-27-07, 05:00 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, physically it is impossible for a sticker to cause this, let alone void a warranty. That is the weakest excuse i have heard in a long time, good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully corporate in thier pursuit of perfection will realize thier service at this dealer is not perfect and rectify the situation.

900 for a mirror that is redicoulous in its own right.

get that evo, im considering it.
Old 05-27-07, 05:15 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kilo6_one

get that evo, im considering it.

I'm having a hard time convincing my finance. She loves the Lexus. The new EVO 10 will be cheaper than the Lexus, have more creature comforts than the VIII or IX and continue being one of the best handling cars in the world with the new AYC and S-AWC. Oh and they are estimating a 12.5 quarter mile time stock!

Last edited by caymandive; 05-27-07 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-27-07, 05:33 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

How is the mirror broken? Go the local auto store and buy the glue for mirrors and stick it back on. That costs $10 not $900. It seems like when you got the new windshield it wasn't put back properly and when you went to tighten it, it fell off. How is this the dealerships fault?
Old 05-27-07, 05:41 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
How is the mirror broken? Go the local auto store and buy the glue for mirrors and stick it back on. That costs $10 not $900. It seems like when you got the new windshield it wasn't put back properly and when you went to tighten it, it fell off. How is this the dealerships fault?
You don't understand. There is no glue holding the main mirror assembly to the windshield. The only part glued is a small flat metal piece with sliders that the assembly goes slides onto. Not a cause from the new windshield. The flat metal piece is still firmly attached.

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror costs $900!!!