IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight lens going brown and cloudy

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 02:13 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Headlight lens going brown and cloudy

Today i saw a LS 430 with cloudy bown headlights and i go WTF, it's a new car???

I don't know what gives with the plastic lenses gone cloudy and brown but i notice alot of Supras and Lexus cars get these. Does anyone know what causes the plastic lenses to go bad? I just want some theories so i can prevent it from happenning...

Last edited by ldc; 05-21-07 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-21-07, 02:33 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat and UV mostly. Keeping your car garaged is probably the best way to prevent that. The LS430 couldn't have been THAT new if the lenses were already jacked, even if it isn't garaged.
Old 05-21-07, 02:52 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Well i'm not sure what year the car is, but looking at it it should be at least 2004. Still, i think it's premature for such a newish car if it should happen at all?

Does anyone think it's got to do with HIDs?
Old 05-21-07, 08:24 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likely its probably a wrecked car that was put back together. A lot of time when cars have any front end damage the head light housing will crack open somewhere letting air and moisture in and thats the fail of everything else in there.
Old 05-21-07, 10:54 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

not taking care of the car and washing it does that too.
Old 05-21-07, 01:40 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

The worse case happens to the Jeep Grand Cherokees. A good solution would be the installation of the clear 3M film (UV proof) over the headlights.

Warrionex
Old 05-21-07, 01:46 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Tap Plastic sells a repair kit for that. My 1994 ES300 had that issue.
Old 05-21-07, 01:56 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this helps.... but the person who installed my clearbra said that debris from driving on the freeway causes small chips in the headlight and the UV from the sun causes some sort of reaction within those chips that makes the headlights look milky... Not sure if that's correct but on my WRX the headlights are really milky and I have no clearbra on that car. On my Lexus, I do MORE freeway driving and outside parking compared to my WRX but my headlights still look new. So I'm guessing that a clearbra would help slow the milky headlight problem?
Old 05-21-07, 02:18 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ldc
Does anyone think it's got to do with HIDs?
No it doesn't. I've seen (and owned) several cars that developed the same issues that did no have HID's.
Old 05-21-07, 05:36 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone else want to confirm that it is not caused by HIDs?

I'm gonna hold onto my IS for atleast 4 years and i dnt want that to happen to it.

Just asked a friend and he thinks it could also be related to car bras?
Old 05-21-07, 06:02 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can purchase a cleaner to remove the 'junk' from the lens at most Toyota dealerships for about 7 bucks. I used it on my 'Vietnamese town car' (92 Camry) and it worked great. The lens look 'almost' like new and improved the light on the road.

Before you flame me my wife is Vietnamese and that's her nick name for the car. Remember the first amendment......See below:

Definitions of FIRST AMENDMENT on the Web: Don't let anyone from FOX news try and tell you different..

The right of free speech in the US Constitution, which historically protects media messages from regulation and censorship.
http://www.pbs.org/weta/myjourneyhom.../glossary.html

an amendment to the Constitution of the United States guaranteeing the right of free expression; includes freedom of assembly and freedom of the press and freedom of religion and freedom of speech
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Last edited by Gtidan; 05-21-07 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-21-07, 06:16 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Hey man, you should tell your wife not to give your camry such names cos all asian owns Camrys not just Viets, it's a tight car interms of reliability, i have one but's it's the 96 model.

I don't know if anything can clean the brown clouds off cos it looks like it's from the inside and implanted into the plastic....
Old 05-21-07, 06:20 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and about the freedom of speech thingie, i think it only apply to the individual giving his or her two cents, if you happen to jump on the band wagon and start saying things that you did not originally thought of then that's taken sides (aka, being racist, discriminatory etc)..my 2 cents.
Old 05-21-07, 06:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc

I'm gonna hold onto my IS for atleast 4 years and i dnt want that to happen to it.

It can't be caused by HIDs since it happens to others cars you mentioned like the Supra and other older non HID Lexus and Toyota cars. Every Lexus I've owned from my 93 SC400, 94 ES300, 2004 RX330 with HIDs, to my 99 LS400 with HIDs all show some degree of discoloration.

Obviously my older Lexus cars were the worse. My 04 RX330 you couldn't really tell untill the dealer had to replace one of the headlighs under warranty. In comparison you could definitely see the difference. Fortunately the other side was replace under warranty a few weeks later (Warranty was for condensation in the headlights). My 99 looks pretty clear, but you can see it will need a good plastic polish soon as it is starting to get a little cloudy.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 05-22-07 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-21-07, 07:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ldc

It's not related to bra's either

Quick Reply: Headlight lens going brown and cloudy