IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

iforged n tpms

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 08:39 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default iforged n tpms

those people who have 2 piece iforged wheels n tpms... how did you mount the tpms? i understand that they screw in, but when the tire shop tried to do mine, the black part of the tpms stuck out too much and they were afraid that when they stretch the tire on there, it'll snap the black part right off. also if i get a flat tire, the tpms will get crushed inside the wheel. is there something i'm or the tire shop is doing wrong??? please help!
Old 05-19-07, 11:54 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how the shop did it (Status in Hermosa Beach) but I have no problems with mine. The only annoying thing with the TPMS is to check and fill the air I have to reach inside of the wheel...
Old 05-20-07, 12:09 AM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
those people who have 2 piece iforged wheels n tpms... how did you mount the tpms? i understand that they screw in, but when the tire shop tried to do mine, the black part of the tpms stuck out too much and they were afraid that when they stretch the tire on there, it'll snap the black part right off. also if i get a flat tire, the tpms will get crushed inside the wheel. is there something i'm or the tire shop is doing wrong??? please help!
Hey ULTiMaX99,

I have an 07' GS350 but had similar issues w/ my Work wheels and TPMS sensors when it came to mounting as well. That's one of the drawbacks is if there's a flat tire, your TPMS sensors are gone. I thought of all the issues you just pointed out as well as some others you may not know......

I have two suggestions for you............first, you can buy the mounting straps and basically strap the sensor onto the middle of the wheels. Then you can utilize the sensors and mount/dismount without worrying about breaking the TPMS. However, it's been "rumored" that if you hit a large enough pothole, then the sensor can possibly dislodge. If that happens, then you're screwed because your TPMS sensor will break and you have to dismount the wheel again. There's a few companies that make these straps and I know HRE still makes them while their still in stock.

The other option, (which I feel is the much better way to go and what I did on my car) is to put all four TPMS sensors into the spare tire of the IS and ask your Lexus dealership to program the sensors so your dashboard warning light will not come on. This way, you can still mount the wheels w/o the TPMS sensors in it and also use the original iForged valve stems. The only drawback is that your spare tire will become pretty much useless.

PM me if you have any other questions or want to know more details of either method as I don't normally check in the IS forum.

Curtis
Old 05-20-07, 07:18 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

thanks for all the advice! i might have to take em down to status and see if they can do it. i really would like to utilize the tpms since the only reason why i got the 2piece iforged was cuz i heard they were compatible with the sensors. if i had known i couldn't use the tpms, i woulda gotten a set of volks instead. i guess the worst case scenario is to do the wheelbarrow thing and just throw the sensors in there =/
Old 07-09-07, 09:03 AM
sam
Driver School Candidate

can anyone confirm if this solution works for the is350?

http://www.iforged.com/press/may25/may25.php

i just found out the iforged 3pc i was looking at isn't tpms compatible this morning and when i googled iforged tpms i found that link.

thanks
Old 07-09-07, 09:12 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

good find sam....
Old 07-09-07, 09:57 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

hmmm... do those adapters double as a valve stem as well?
Old 07-09-07, 11:36 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

it seems like they do. pretty interesting...
Old 07-10-07, 01:27 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

someone find out how we can get a set of these! i need to install my sensors already!
Old 07-10-07, 08:00 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

so do we need these for ALL iForged wheels? I have a set of 20's on the way soon and i dont wanna find out at the last minute i needed something to help mount the sensors!!!
Old 07-10-07, 08:05 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mwaull
so do we need these for ALL iForged wheels? I have a set of 20's on the way soon and i dont wanna find out at the last minute i needed something to help mount the sensors!!!
you can mount the sensors w/o the adapter. only thing is that the sensor sticks out inside the wheel. a problem you may run into is that if you get a flat or if you hit a pothole where the sensor is located, you may crush the sensor.
Old 07-10-07, 10:46 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

ah i see . . . so how much are these adapters? and yes where do you find these?
Old 07-10-07, 12:09 PM
sam
Driver School Candidate

iforged dealers should sell them.
Old 07-10-07, 12:12 PM
gixxrr
Rookie

I wonder if these adapters would work with other 2pc wheels like Volk and Work
Old 07-10-07, 12:55 PM
ULTiMaX99