IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Battery Drains When Sitting in the 2IS With the Car Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 02:39 PM
juncho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drains When Sitting in the 2IS With the Car Off

After a round of some drinks last night, I figured I wasn't in 100% shape to drive so I slept in my 2IS for about 4 hours to sober up.

I had the key in my pocket and I didn't have the car turn on at all (no accessories enabled, ie no radio, lights or a/c, etc). However, when I woke up, my battery had drained completely and I was not able to start the engine. Luckily, I called Lexus Roadside Assistance and a tow truck arrived in 30 minutes to give me a jump.

Given the technology with the key, I understand that the car "knows" that I'm inside but I didn't think my battery would drain out. Does anyone know what electronics are automatically turned on when the driver is just in the car? Has anyone else experienced this?

I learned two things last night:
1) Don't drink too much
2) Don't sleep in my 2IS
Old 05-13-07, 03:12 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

I sleep in my car all the time during lunch, but no longer than one hour. No problem so far
Old 05-13-07, 03:31 PM
04lrg
Driver

car battery or key fob battery?
Old 05-13-07, 03:37 PM
juncho
Rookie

Originally Posted by 04lrg
car battery or key fob battery?
Car battery.
Old 05-13-07, 04:20 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't sound right. Just having the key in the car shouldn't drain the battery.
Old 05-13-07, 04:48 PM
ObsidianIS
Driver School Candidate

We park both of our IS' in the garage at night, sometimes with the keys left in the cupholder. Neither one has ever died.
Old 05-13-07, 04:55 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you must have been drinking something really good
Next time share with your fellow members

actuall i have heard of this happening with others cars. it has something to do with the transmission between our keyfob and the car. Good thing for roadside...
Old 05-13-07, 07:50 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, now I know not to do that!
Old 05-13-07, 08:15 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by juncho

Given the technology with the key, I understand that the car "knows" that I'm inside but I didn't think my battery would drain out. Does anyone know what electronics are automatically turned on when the driver is just in the car? Has anyone else experienced this?
That's an interesting happening, sorry to hear your battery drained out. I'm not sure why that specific incident would occur, but I do know that even after I've shut off the car, I'm still able to roll up the windows (while I'm still inside the car).

Old 05-13-07, 09:29 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

After a round of some drinks last night, I figured I wasn't in 100% shape to drive so I slept in my 2IS for about 4 hours to sober up.

I had the key in my pocket and I didn't have the car turn on at all (no accessories enabled, ie no radio, lights or a/c, etc). However, when I woke up, my battery had drained completely and I was not able to start the engine. Luckily, I called Lexus Roadside Assistance and a tow truck arrived in 30 minutes to give me a jump.

I learned two things last night:
1) Don't drink too much
2) Don't sleep in my 2IS
I commend you on not drinking and driving. There are too many people out there who would have said "F it I am good to drive."

I might need to hobo it up and do this one day. Can anyone confirm that this drains the battery?
Old 05-13-07, 11:30 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

I had the key in my pocket
1. I commend you for not driving drunk
2. Please don't EVER sleep in your car while drunk with the key in your pocket again!!!

I went to traffic school about 3 months ago and learned that you can be arrested for drunk driving if you sleep in the driver's seat while drunk with the key in your pocket!!! The rationale behind this is that although you're doing the safe thing by not driving, as long as you have the key in your pocket, there is the possibility/intent that you could drive. If a cop walks by and sees you just sleeping, he can wake you up and arrest you if you have your key in your pocket. The only safe way to do this is if you go and put your key in the trunk. By doing this, there isn't an intent to drive. And since our cars have the push button start, having the key in the trunk won't make the car driveable.

I thought all of this was BS when one of my fellow traffic schoolers vouched that this is exactly why he was sitting in traffic school that night. The cops found him sleeping, woke him up, found out his key was in his pocket and he was drunk. Wham! He's slapped with a ticket.

Last edited by Sexi_Lexi; 05-13-07 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-13-07, 11:55 PM
mog79
Rookie

wow that's weird i wouldn't think that would matter and i considered sleeping in my car last nite b4 going home since it was really late(or early lol the sun was up already) and i was really tired, not drunk but didn't want to nod off at the wheel. sexi_lexi said the 'passenger' seat? or did she mean the driver's seat? or both would get you a ticket? man i dunno if i want to try sleep in my car now.
Old 05-13-07, 11:59 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mog79
wow that's weird i wouldn't think that would matter and i considered sleeping in my car last nite b4 going home since it was really late(or early lol the sun was up already) and i was really tired, not drunk but didn't want to nod off at the wheel. sexi_lexi said the 'passenger' seat? or did she mean the driver's seat? or both would get you a ticket? man i dunno if i want to try sleep in my car now.
oops! I mean to say driver's seat! It's been edited.

You can still sleep in your car. Just make sure you put the key in the trunk. That way, you can tell the cops that you have no INTENT whatsoever to drive. Plus, I don't think this same rule applies to those that are just sleepy. I THINK it only applies to those that are intoxicated.
Old 05-14-07, 04:55 AM
Revman
Driver School Candidate

Here's an idea...How about staying the hell away from your car when you have been drinking? After 4 hours, how are you sure that you are legal? Good God!

Revman
Old 05-14-07, 07:55 AM
juncho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
You can still sleep in your car. Just make sure you put the key in the trunk. That way, you can tell the cops that you have no INTENT whatsoever to drive. Plus, I don't think this same rule applies to those that are just sleepy. I THINK it only applies to those that are intoxicated.
WOW!

I had no idea. I thought I was doing the "right" thing by sleeping it off. Good to know.

So next time...
1) Find a shovel
2) Dig a 6 ft hole 1000 ft away from car
3) Bury key fob in the hole
4) Go back to the car
5) Pop the trunk
6) Crawl inside the trunk
7) Sleep

Did I get the instructions correct? Obviously I'm joking. Thanks for the information Sexi_Lexi. It'd be pretty sad to get a DUI when I'm not technically even driving.

Quick Reply: Battery Drains When Sitting in the 2IS With the Car Off