IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ceramic Tint - Mirror effect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 07:49 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Tint - Mirror effect?

Just to make sure I have this straight - ceramic tint gives off a slight "mirror" effect, right? Metallic tint does not? While I do like the fact that ceramic tint has better heat repelling abilities, I do not want it to look like a mirror.

In Texas, the law is 25% Front, 25% Rear, ANY % Rear Windshield. I'm thinking about doing 25% all around and 60% on the front windshield.
Old 04-28-07, 07:52 AM
acbrisker
Driver

Mine doesn't look like a mirror ... I've got 40% Llumar ceramic all around (minus the front windshield) ...

Not only is the ceramic better at heat rejection ... it also doesn't interfere with the FM and GPS reception (so I've been told) ... it was about $100 more than the regular Llumar ... when I had it installed a few weeks ago.
Old 04-28-07, 07:56 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
Just to make sure I have this straight - ceramic tint gives off a slight "mirror" effect, right? Metallic tint does not? While I do like the fact that ceramic tint has better heat repelling abilities, I do not want it to look like a mirror.

In Texas, the law is 25% Front, 25% Rear, ANY % Rear Windshield. I'm thinking about doing 25% all around and 60% on the front windshield.
Someone told me that ceramic tint is just a marketing ploy. He said what is ceramic is some part of the equipment that makes/cuts the film in the manufacturing process. He said, there is nothing in the material itself. I'm just repeating what was told to me, I wonder how true it is.

Koz
Old 04-28-07, 08:10 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

What about the color of the tint - any suggestions as to what I should get? My car color is Smokey Granite.
Old 04-28-07, 08:14 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you can really feel the difference between ceramic tint and dyed tint. the tint shop i went to had a huper optik demo box with a heat lamp in it. it allowed you to feel the heat rejecting difference between ceramic tint and regular dyed tint.

i have 40% ceramic tint and it doesn't look like a mirror. i can imagine if it was darker it might look like a mirror? at some angles you can see the reflection... it's comparable to the reflection you get from the window sills.
Old 04-28-07, 08:16 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

What about the color of the tint - any suggestions as to what I should get? My car color is Smokey Granite.
i dunno if you have a choice of color when you choose ceramic tint? i think it's a one color fits all type deal.
Old 04-28-07, 08:17 AM
acbrisker
Driver

My understanding is it doesn't come in different colors ... the cars you see on the road with 'purple' tint ... that's just a bad tint job!

I wanted the Huper Optik tint ... but my shop only uses Llumar ... I'm happy with it ... it looks sharp, isn't too dark ... and helps keep the interior cooler.
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did a search and found that there is, in fact, ceramic material in the film itself. There seems to be many benifits to this type of tint. No reflection seems to be the biggest plus.

Koz
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
you can really feel the difference between ceramic tint and dyed tint. the tint shop i went to had a huper optik demo box with a heat lamp in it. it allowed you to feel the heat rejecting difference between ceramic tint and regular dyed tint.

i have 40% ceramic tint and it doesn't look like a mirror. i can imagine if it was darker it might look like a mirror? at some angles you can see the reflection... it's comparable to the reflection you get from the window sills.
Because of its properties, does ceramic tint typically look darker than metallic tint at a higher number? In other words, does 40% ceramic tint look similar to metallic tint at 25% in terms of its darkness? I was originally thinking about getting metallic tint at 25% but would really like the heat reflecting properties of the ceramic tint.
Old 04-28-07, 08:45 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Just found out my Lexus dealership uses DigiFilm ceramic tint. I couldn't find much on this online. Anyone know anything about it? They said there are 7 "levels" of tint. On the IS they use level 5. I don't know what that means in terms of the %.
Old 04-28-07, 09:45 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

http://www.tintcenter.com/guide.php?qo=1
Old 04-28-07, 11:37 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nabbun
Couldn't find DigiFilm on that site.
Old 04-28-07, 11:53 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

it's a dealer locater. you give them your info, then they pass it on to tint shops in your area and they will send you prices
Old 04-28-07, 12:06 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nabbun
it's a dealer locater. you give them your info, then they pass it on to tint shops in your area and they will send you prices
Oh, I see. Thanks. But I'm having my dealership install the tint (they said they do it in house. I was just hoping to get some info on DigiFilm and what the Visual Throughput of the 7 different levels was.
Old 04-28-07, 02:02 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Because of its properties, does ceramic tint typically look darker than metallic tint at a higher number? In other words, does 40% ceramic tint look similar to metallic tint at 25% in terms of its darkness? I was originally thinking about getting metallic tint at 25% but would really like the heat reflecting properties of the ceramic tint.
i think the percentage should be the same darkness amonst all films. the percentage is suppose to measure the amount of light that is allowed to pass thru the film. so 40% of light passing thru a ceramic tint should be similar in amount to 40% of light passing thru a dyed tint.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Tint - Mirror effect?