IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Something that LEXUS should have thought of!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 08:21 PM
Rasengan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well during the winter time, i'll run out to the car, start it to warm it up, run back inside and wait a few minutes...this is my only way to warm up the car since there is no remote start feature that they offer here

what they should have implemented is a way to lock the car door when it's on and you leave...i noticed i couldn't do this unless i turned off the car not even with the keyfob...i think that's a "feature" that should have been implemented
Old 04-21-07, 08:46 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15951
Obvious reasons that the car stays on, once on:

1. If you have your dog in the car on a 90 degree day and run into the quick mart to grab something, do you want to come back to a dead dog in a locked car?

2. How well do you think this would work with the guys exploring remote start?? It would really suck to have the car shut down after xx seconds because a keyfob isn't around.

3. I like the ability to let my car cool down/warm up while it's in my garage running, depending on the weather. I'd rather not throw the keyfob in the car to let this happen.

4. Imagine a scenario where your keyfob battery dies. Draw your own conclusions.
1) There would never be an animal in my car...

2) Most of the people "explorering" remote start will have to remove the transmitter "pill" (as is a common solution with cars that have them) anyway and mount it in the car permanently so they can remote start it.

3) Same as number 2)

4) If the keyfob dies now youll be in the same situation. Youll have to use the hard key anyway.
Old 04-21-07, 08:47 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xelvic
I think it would be a great idea. I live in tucson where it hits 110+ degrees in the summer. I have a 10 month old and I like to get the car cool before I put him in it. I turn my car on for about 5 minutes to let it cool down. It would be nice for the added sense of security if I could lock it when I go back inside. I also would like a remote start so I would not even have to go outside in the first place. Imagine, you are getting you son ready to leave and you remote start your car, and by the time you walk out its nice and cool. Come on guys, whats wrong with that? I know that I won't get all that but I wish I could at least lock the car while its running.
Yea, remote start def should have been included!
Old 04-21-07, 09:14 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

An automotive editor wrote that he drove off and left the remote with the valet attendant.
Old 04-21-07, 09:37 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

umm how is this different from leaving your keys in the car while its running and you run to your apt?
Old 04-21-07, 10:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

iirc.

so you can start the car, leave a remote in the car, get out the car while it is still running and close the door, and lock the car with a second remote in your pocket while you go inside your house.

problem solved.

except i bet you, now some of your will complain about how this is too difficult to do and so inconvenient and how lexus should have thought of.....

whatever.
Old 04-21-07, 11:30 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
First of all, Lexus thought of it. I'm sure of it. 100% absolutely positive that Lexus thought of it. So you're wrong there.

Second, they decided against it. And against you. And the few other people who think this is a good idea. Because it's a bad idea. Clearly they thought so too, just look at the way it came out, they didn't implement it.

I'm glad you don't design vehicles, the way you described it is NOT the way the car should work, no way in heck, and I'm glad it doesn't work that way and if it did I wouldn't buy it.

Look, our car is just like any other car. If you leave it running, it could be stolen. Any car. It just doesn't make sense that a car that is running cannot be driven, for whatever reason. Imagine if your car loses contact with the key or someone runs off with your key like the passenger with the key in his pocket gets out and walks away, where does that leave you the driver behind the wheel of a running car, with a disabled car? That's nonsense.

You haven't thought this out, you haven't thought it thru, all you want is COOL, but it doesn't work that way....thankful Lexus is thinking of the Lexus driver. Can the current system be improved? Sure. But the things you describe theft related isn't even up for consideration because we don't have these problems, it's not unique to our car; a Lexus more prone to theft just because it has keyless entry. A car is safety first, convenience second, and extra theft-proof a distant last.

Hey I was just throwing this out there to bring up some discussion. thats all. I think it would of been neat if they did incorporate something that prevented the car to be driven without the key, but they didn't. i was just wondering what all of you other ISx50 owners had to say about it. I am not holding down to one side of the argument or the other, just curious about what everyone had to say....
Old 04-21-07, 11:54 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

But doesn't the engine not restart once it's turned off and the key's not in the car?
Old 04-22-07, 05:02 AM
QikSilvr
Driver

AsianGirl, yes it does. If you start your car, with the key on you and get out; someone else drives off, it will display "Keyfob out of range". Once they turn the car off, it will not restart without the keyfob.
Old 04-22-07, 01:41 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
1) There would never be an animal in my car...

2) Most of the people "explorering" remote start will have to remove the transmitter "pill" (as is a common solution with cars that have them) anyway and mount it in the car permanently so they can remote start it.

3) Same as number 2)

4) If the keyfob dies now youll be in the same situation. Youll have to use the hard key anyway.
Wrong on #3. Most people would consider it a MAJOR issue to have to remove the transmitter "pill" in order to let their cars warm up. I'd be really pissed to find out running back into the house would mean my car would shut down. That's just pure stupidity...overdoing it in the name of pleasing a very small percentage of Lexus owners.

Wrong on #4 too. If my battery dies while driving right now, it's not an issue, and I can restart with the actual key. Under the scenario you're considering, the car could shut down in park if it doesn't sense the keyfob. Think about it.
Old 04-22-07, 02:41 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 15951
Wrong on #3. Most people would consider it a MAJOR issue to have to remove the transmitter "pill" in order to let their cars warm up. I'd be really pissed to find out running back into the house would mean my car would shut down. That's just pure stupidity...overdoing it in the name of pleasing a very small percentage of Lexus owners.

Wrong on #4 too. If my battery dies while driving right now, it's not an issue, and I can restart with the actual key. Under the scenario you're considering, the car could shut down in park if it doesn't sense the keyfob. Think about it.
LOL dude you need to reread the post I was responding to...
Old 04-22-07, 07:50 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wushuboy
If you do something like that you deserve to get it stolen. This could happen with cars that require keys too. i mean cmon.. all u have to do is press a button.
Sorry, nobody deserves to have their car stolen. I agree it is not the smartest thing to leave your keys in the car, or your engine running and walk away, but we shouldn't be blaming the victom's and be putting 100% blame on the thieves.
Old 04-22-07, 08:10 PM
junes IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RLL
In the city where I live, if you leave your car running while unattended, even in your own driveway, you are subject to a fine.
well in my city you will never see your car again.
Old 04-23-07, 05:59 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
LOL dude you need to reread the post I was responding to...
You quoted and referred to my post in your response, so I give up. Enjoy whatever it is you're taking!

Old 04-23-07, 10:05 AM
anitabj
Driver

they should have thought of the eject seat button...like in the movie top gun....too bad goose dies though....i cry every time

Quick Reply: Something that LEXUS should have thought of!!!