IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A great site that may help us with rattles

Old 04-21-07, 08:06 AM
KGDeAng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm picking up my 350 end of next week, WOW, i hope they fixed the problem at the factory, or my dash might have to be pulled down the road, ouch!
Old 04-21-07, 08:31 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

If you think going over to Nissan/Infiniti is going to help your situation; your more then welcome it but it will be your worst mistake. Take it from previous owners like myself and others here - Nissan/Infiniti vehicles are horrendous rattle-traps. You can search the Infiniti forums all you want and listen to the owners that say their Infiniti does not rattle; and it’s all BS. You'll be begging to have your IS350 back.

That being said, I'm all for holding Lexus and other marquee makes who charge big $$$ for their vehicles to "higher-standards"; including rattles. But for those who have owned a-lot of vehicles like myself, the reality is that the amount a vehicle costs -vs quality issues like squeaks/rattles are unfortunately mutually exclusive.

Don't flame me here, for I'm your side - I despise ANY rattles and the more I pay the less rattles/issues I expect – I think we all agree on that. The difference w/Lexus however is that Lexus will admit and deal w/your issues, whereas Nissan/Infiniti will deny it and work against you.

So I ask, which will be more frustrating in the long run...?
Old 04-21-07, 02:31 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't forget to include Acura on this rattling and denial topic. Acura dealers are the worst for saying that they don't hear a loud rattle/creak/squeak and not doing anything about it.... I don't think I'd buy another Acura ever. I'm much much happier with my Lexus and the service from the shop thus far.
Old 07-15-07, 06:44 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Since I worked on squeaks/rattles at a Toyota manufacturing plant, I'll tell you all that the more you guys take your problems to the dealer, the more help WE get in solving those problems.

The biggest issue is that its difficult to detect squeaks/rattles at 35-40dB when the ambient noise level is 60-65dB inside the plant, and the only people who drive outside the plant are auditors picking 3-4 vehicles a day. So we depend on warranty data from the dealers to give us an idea of where the problems are surfacing.
Old 07-15-07, 06:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by MLevinson
If you think going over to Nissan/Infiniti is going to help your situation; your more then welcome it but it will be your worst mistake. Take it from previous owners like myself and others here - Nissan/Infiniti vehicles are horrendous rattle-traps. You can search the Infiniti forums all you want and listen to the owners that say their Infiniti does not rattle; and it’s all BS. You'll be begging to have your IS350 back.

That being said, I'm all for holding Lexus and other marquee makes who charge big $$$ for their vehicles to "higher-standards"; including rattles. But for those who have owned a-lot of vehicles like myself, the reality is that the amount a vehicle costs -vs quality issues like squeaks/rattles are unfortunately mutually exclusive.

Don't flame me here, for I'm your side - I despise ANY rattles and the more I pay the less rattles/issues I expect – I think we all agree on that. The difference w/Lexus however is that Lexus will admit and deal w/your issues, whereas Nissan/Infiniti will deny it and work against you.

This isn't the point of the exercise here. This thread points to a methodology for addressing squeaks and rattles that are common to ALL automobiles with a technology that works on ALL automobiles. I personally think this is a GREAT find, and if you ignore branding for a minute, might be the way to fix your own car yourself after you've not had any success with the dealer. It will also help you if the dealer does this kind of fix and the noise returns after your rattle and squeak warranty is expired.

Also - THANK YOU Irishman06 for telling everyone WHY it is important Lexus get this information. It really will result in better cars in the future.
Old 07-15-07, 10:18 PM
wjimmy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I would NEVER do the dash TSB!!!!!
Could you just briefly explain why? because I know nothing about these kind of stuff..
Old 07-16-07, 08:12 PM
yogi350
Rookie

My car has less rattles than any other car i have owned. Im sitting right at about 21k miles. I do have creaks from the dash every once in a while especially when the inside of the car is hot and going over speed bumps or rough roads but i dont consider that a rattle. And it doesnt really bother me that much. The rattles i cant stand is the plastic piece that jiggles against another plastic piece. That drives me CRAZY, i have none of that in the lexus yet. Knock on premium package wood.
Old 07-16-07, 08:19 PM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by l1tech
I must be lucky 11,000 miles and it is as rattle free as the day I bought it. It's funny but on at least 75% of the cars that come into the shop for rattles the problem ends up being something that the customer has left in the car.
...or simply due to the driving habits of the customer. I mean hitting potholes, bumps, or other stuff at 75 mph sure can't help the rattling problem either.

I have driven Nissan Maximas, Toyota Corollas, a Toyota van, and now an IS, and I've never had a rattle problem.

IMO, it is the driver, not the car.
Old 07-16-07, 08:22 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I guess I'm lucky - zero squeaks, rattles, etc.
Old 07-17-07, 01:35 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed all the rattles myself. I would NEVER let a tech (paid on commission, time is money) rip my dash out.
Old 07-17-07, 06:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
...or simply due to the driving habits of the customer. I mean hitting potholes, bumps, or other stuff at 75 mph sure can't help the rattling problem either.

I have driven Nissan Maximas, Toyota Corollas, a Toyota van, and now an IS, and I've never had a rattle problem.

IMO, it is the driver, not the car.
Horsepucky. My Supra makes LOTS of loud noise, and the hatch rattled like a baby toy when I bought it. I changed the hatch bumpers to the revised units and never heard another noise from the hatch. The car is still loud inside, but that's par for the course.

My '88 GTS Corolla(s), '93 GTS Celica, and a passel of MR2s didn't make unexpected noises. My IS350 didn't make unexpected noises for the first 5k miles. Then it started buzzing. No, not my driving, but the door seal buzzing under very specific conditions. I didn't buy this car to hear noises, and I wouldn't have tolerated this particular noise in any of my cars because NONE of them made a continuous noise on pebble grain pavement in my ear. The IS350 did. The dealer fixed the problem with silicone spray on the door seal. Quiet was restored. Not that the car makes NO noises, because every car makes noises, especially going over bumps in the road. The dash will tick, and the panels will creak, but if you hit holes you should expect noises from any car. I just don't expect a continuous buzz in my ear from my Lexus. Period.
The following users liked this post:
SebastianD (10-24-22)
Old 07-25-07, 08:56 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MLevinson

I am in total agreement with all of this....I bought my G35 coupe new in 2003 and sold it in Dec of 2006...It was the most creaking rattling a$$ car I have ever owned.

I went to and still go to many many G35 meets and know over 100 owners personally...and we all said the same thing....it definately rattles beyond belief.

While I had my G I held onto my trusty ol 1997 ES300 and the G is long gone and the Lexus remains why- its a better built vehicle all around...now with all I am reading about IS rattles I am questioning if Lexus has made its name and is lowering its quality....?
Either way I am back on the CL forums and trying to gather info about the IS350 cause come 2008 I am looking to pick up another Lexus...I went over to Infiniti...and TRUST me the dealer service STINKS...the build stinks

I sold my G with a measly 14,600 on it ..it was practically new...why ?? I got tired of going to the ******IN dealership and switching services dept do to SHIITTY service!....

So I thank all of you for your comments and insight...please keep it coming

Thanks
Old 12-16-07, 04:27 PM
lexi06
Rookie

creaks and rattles - blame it on the stiff ride, causing things to become loose.
Old 12-16-07, 05:13 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joonsta
The IS' rattling problems are NOTHING compared to what Nissan/Infiniti cars suffer.

However, the funny thing is, I bought my IS over the G35 or any other competing cars with confidence and hope that Lexus cars wouldn't have menial but frustrating problems like this.

But with the stupid creaking in my car, my desire to trade in my car grows day by day ...

Hopefully a dealership will be able to fix it when I take the car in for the 5,000 mile service .
Not for my previous 03 G35 sedan, it has no rattle throughout the whole five years I owned it, absolutely none.
Old 12-16-07, 05:47 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi06
creaks and rattles - blame it on the stiff ride, causing things to become loose.
That's the same lame excuse my dealer gave me, but I don't find the stock suspension on my car to be particularly stiff. Actually, I drove an RX350, and in a straight line I didn't find it to be much smoother than my IS350. Then again, the RX with very low miles rattled as well...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A great site that may help us with rattles