IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Yet Another DIY Oil Change for IS350 (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 04:27 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thansk for the write up! just did my first DIY today as it was my 2nd change. let the dealer do the 1st one. here on out i think i will do. i did it in my garage but recently moved and couldn tfind the jacks so i did it with out lifiting the car and was able to get it done. just turned the front wheels hard to reach the drain plug and you can reach the oil filter from the front. will check it later today to make sure all is sealed and ready!

thanks again. very easy DIY...
Old 07-07-08, 12:06 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How hard are you guys having to turn that housing to get it to loosen? I was trying to get it off today and decided to quit before I stripped it or broke it... I went to AZ and bought that F Cap Wrench too (part #25404) and it sat on the housing ok, but when I started to turn it hard it slipped - this happened twice and I didnt want to try any further. I then tried another type of oil wrench with the same result so about 4 hours later and multiple trips to AZ, Kragen, PepBoys and a couple other stores I gave up. Im going to try the Toyota SST, though it hasn't been give the best reviews - but perhaps it will sit better.

And to think, when I went to AZ to pick up oil and to my surprise saw some German Castrol (and nearly cleared them out of it) I thought it was going to be a good day... haha
Old 07-07-08, 12:49 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can take a clamp that goes around the housing. You should notice that the housing has two "points" that stick out. If you can have the clamp tips wrap with 1 side on each, it'll work. It's kind of hard to explain but the two tips, pretend they're 12 o clock and 6 o clock on a clock. Have one tip at 1 o clock and the other wrapping under and around at 7 o clock. Twist to the left and it should push and come right off. When mounting back on, do the opposite.

It takes a bit of muscle to get it on and off and just a tip, the smaller o-ring might seem like it's bigger than where it fits but once it goes in, it's perfect.

Also to AWD model drivers, the filter housing isn't where it is in the IS250 or IS350. If you slide under the car from the front and look upward, it's to your left. It should be a plastic cover held on by 1 plastic clip that you can pry off and one 14mm bulb. Take that off and the housing is right there. Also the oil pan looks slightly different though it's in the same spot.
Old 07-07-08, 01:28 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

^^^^ What kind of clamp would I use? Any pics of what you're referring to? Thanks
Old 07-07-08, 07:56 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I just tried to change my oil this weekend. I bought a crappy plastic-type oil filter wrench at Kragen... dang thing cracked right where you attach the socket!
Old 07-07-08, 08:34 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up, makes me want to change my own oil next time... thanks for the pics... didn't know about the oil filter came like that until i saw this thread
Old 07-07-08, 11:55 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
Man I just tried to change my oil this weekend. I bought a crappy plastic-type oil filter wrench at Kragen... dang thing cracked right where you attach the socket!
Haha I bought that one too. Then I returned it 15 mins later... haha
Old 07-07-08, 12:21 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what did you end up getting for a tool? This was all they had besides the strap type... maybe I'll just get one of those...

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Haha I bought that one too. Then I returned it 15 mins later... haha
Old 07-07-08, 01:18 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

what did you end up getting for a tool? This was all they had besides the strap type... maybe I'll just get one of those...
I bought the one from AutoZone (part #25404) but that did not work either - as I mentioned above it slipped a couple times and I got scared of damaging the housing... So I still haven't gotten it off. I think I am going to purchase and try out that Toyota one (part #09228-06501).
Old 07-07-08, 01:38 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing you may want to add is a fumoto oil drain valve. I've added one to all of my cars and makes changing oil that much easier and cleaner. Just do a search on google for it. You never need to worry about overtightening your oil pan bolt again. Also makes it easier for you to rest easy about taking the car to a quick lube. I used to change my own oil, but where I'm at now its just too uncomfortable to do on my own. I found a quick lube place that does the labor for me for $20 while I watch them do it. Saves me the hassle of getting under the car, spills, disposing oil etc. And I bring in my own mobil 1 I buy at costco. but great write up. I had to use a large adjustable wrench to get enough torque to turn the oil filter housing. I remember that being incredibly hard. I used two different types of oil filter wrenches before going to the adjustable. One strap, one metal.
Old 07-07-08, 01:46 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I still have a small scar on my hand from when that happened to me. I now use an Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY640 wrench; it fits perfectly, doesn't slip, is strong and was fairly inexpensive.
Old 07-07-08, 02:37 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought the Lexus SST and I've only had to use it once - which was the first time I changed my oil. Every oil/filter change since, I've only needed hand pressure to unscrew the filter housing. As a matter of fact, yesterday I was doing my oil filter-only 5,000 service, and I was able to unscrew the filter housing and change the oil filter without even jacking up the car! I removed the air intake cool-air duct and did everything from above.

Javier
Old 07-07-08, 03:37 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

would these diy instructions work for a 250awd?
Old 07-07-08, 03:45 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
I still have a small scar on my hand from when that happened to me. I now use an Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY640 wrench; it fits perfectly, doesn't slip, is strong and was fairly inexpensive.
Where did you get that Wrench from?

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I bought the Lexus SST and I've only had to use it once - which was the first time I changed my oil. Every oil/filter change since, I've only needed hand pressure to unscrew the filter housing. As a matter of fact, yesterday I was doing my oil filter-only 5,000 service, and I was able to unscrew the filter housing and change the oil filter without even jacking up the car! I removed the air intake cool-air duct and did everything from above.

Javier
Was the SST worth it? Did you ever try any other wrenches prior to the SST?
Old 07-07-08, 05:24 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SC try amazon have almost anything.

I tried to do my own. Could break it loose with what i had. Took it to my mechanic and he broke 2 of those type of wrenches. He got a wrench the resembled an ice pick to break it loose. HE is still bitter because one of the wrench he had since he opened his shop in the 80s

I also broke his foot when he replaced my fuel tank on my other car. HE doesnt like to see me unless it is something simply now!

Last edited by slee18; 07-07-08 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Yet Another DIY Oil Change for IS350 (w/pics)