IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it possible to turn fog lights without turning on the low beams?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-07, 06:19 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I think there is enough demand... I am going to try and figure out how to do this hack/mod...
Old 04-15-07, 06:28 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

may simply be a trigger wire....

From Headlamp switch to Parking Light switch.

Anyway we can locate the relay?
Old 04-15-07, 07:10 AM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This can be done but in doing so you cannot use your oem switch but rather have to use/make your own switch to toggle on and off.
Old 04-15-07, 08:36 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really?

I thought you might just have mod the fog light switch to send a current when you put it in parking light mode. . .
Old 04-15-07, 11:03 AM
Drelicious
Driver

I got it to work on my IS350. I don't know how though. When i changed my HID's sometimes when i turn on my car and i have my light switch on on. The fogs turn on but not the lights. I think it looks good. So i changed my fogs and i love it. Sorry i cant help you guys any more then that.
Old 04-15-07, 12:40 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

please read this thread from another forum (hope this is allowed)..its from the IS300 but hopefully its the same concept... http://my.is/forums/inside-out/22854...light-mod.html
Old 04-15-07, 12:46 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

here is a easier one.

http://my.is/forums/tech-guides-how/...ights-mod.html
Old 04-15-07, 03:03 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nabbun
Actually, I want this for looks AND safety.

When you drive in the fog, it's better to drive with the fog lights on and low/high beams off.

The low/high beam lights reflect off the water vapor and come block your line of site.

Why do you think Fogs are usually placed so low and aimed low/wide?

My Audi Q7 has a light switch from OFF > Auto / Parking Lights / On

Only when I toggle the swtich to Parking lights or On mode can I turn on my Front or both Front and Rear Fog lights.

During Foggy weather, I drive with Parking Lights and Both Fogs on =P

Sometimes, during the sunrise and sunset where people don't know weather to turn on the lights or not, I'll run with the Parking lights and Fogs instead of just leaving my Headlights on.

I don't like blinding people when I crest a hill (there are a lot of hills in my area)

Edit - The Fog Light bulbs are 9006

You can get the hid kit from xenon depot

I've heard regular halogen bulbs are more efficient for cutting through bad weather conditions.

But HID's just look so darn good, last longer, and draw less energy =P

For a full list of replacement bulb numbers: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...RG-Results.htm

This is just the way I drive and like it.

You should keep your headlights on while driving in bad weather or at night.

I don't want you to get hurt cuz of what I said =P
lol, nicely handled man!
Old 04-16-07, 10:14 PM
SC400_408
Lead Lap

So has anyone tried this mod on isX50?

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Old 04-16-07, 11:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It won't work the same way. The IS300 does not have a Body Electrical Area Network controlling the lights. It has the old school system where every control has a separate wire. The ISx50 does not have this methodology, and in order to cheat it, you will seriously **** off the Body ECU.

There may be a way to do this, but I need to dig a bit deeper into the inner workings of the interlock technology. It appears there is a wire that tells the BEAN ECU the headlights are switched on. It might be possible to permanently set this wire to a condition that makes the BEAN ECU believe the lights are on when they are not. Or, it may be that this wire, when set permanently ON will permanently turn on the headlights. I'm not sure yet.

The fog light relay is buried under a bunch of stuff in J/B 2 in the front left engine compartment. It will not be possible to just pull the relay, bend a tab out of the way and make this work. You'd have to run a wire from J/B 2 to the cabin and connect a switch to do this.

If it is possible to fool the BEAN ECU into believing the headlights are on all the time without turning them on all the time, then the existing fog light switch will operate the fog lights independent of the headlights. If it is not, I doubt this will be a simple mod and may require significant rewiring to keep the BEAN ECU from getting very unhappy when it does initialisation wire integrity checks.

I'll post some more on this later.
Old 04-17-07, 12:18 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Bad news:

Originally Posted by '06 IS350 FSM
1. AUTOMATIC LIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM
(a) General
(1) When the light control switch is in the AUTO position, the automatic light control system detects ambient light levels and controls the headlights, parking lights, taillights, marker lights, and license plate lights.
• The main body ECU RH controls this system.
• The headlight dimmer switch includes the tilt and telescopic switch, fog switch, turn switch, dimmer switch, and light control switch. The headlight dimmer switch signals are received by the windshield wiper switch assembly, and the windshield wiper switch assembly forwards these signals to the main body ECU RH using the Body Electronics Area Network (BEAN).
A direct headlight backup link (HEAD) exists between the windshield wiper switch assembly and the main body ECU RH. If this link is grounded, the headlights will illuminate.
• Ambient light levels are detected by the light control sensor that is integrated in the air conditioning system's solar sensor. This signal is received directly by the main body ECU RH (cowl side junction block RH).
• The dimmer circuit in the combination meter controls the ground for the panel illumination.
• The combination meter bases the control of the panel illumination on signals received from the light control rheostat, and other inputs.
• The main body ECU RH controls the taillights and panel illumination using the tail relay that is built into the main body ECU LH (cowl side junction block LH).
• The main body ECU RH controls the low beam illumination using the HEAD LP relay.
• The front controller uses transistors to directly operate the high beams for models that have DRL. For models without DRL, the front controller operates the high beams using a HEAD HI relay that is built into the front controller.
• The front controller operates the front parking lights and front marker lights using the FR TAIL relay that is built into the front controller (engine room No. 2 relay block).
So the wire I saw in the schematic that looked like I could ground it (or wire it to 12V) to simulate the headlights being on is actually a redundant link in case the communication system with the BEAN ECU fails (see BOLD above.)

Back to the drawing board.
Old 04-17-07, 04:33 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

damn . . .

hehe Thanks Ben_r
Old 04-17-07, 06:24 AM
roe74
Driver School Candidate

yes its possible...here in austria you need this ("Daydrivelight")
it can be done by a relay installed at your Lex Dealer....so when you turn ACC on the fog lights are on - and only the fog lights. When you turn your normal light on the fog lights are off and can be manually activated.
greets from Vienna (Austria)