Unhappy IS350 owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 12:33 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueBerry3
Hi iskcon,

I was wondering wether or not you took the sunroof option in your IS ?

I have it. The IS I took from the dealer for a try hadn't. I then discovered with mine that I had troubles with getting seated as I always used to. I mean with the back of the seat quite vertical.

It's no more possible for me in the IS because the sunroof takes too much place over my head, and it's quite often my hair touches the roof.

So I too have problem with this...
BlueBerry3,

Yes I have the sunroof option (I think its standard on all 07's)...well first of all i dont drive all the way vertical as you do and even if i did, my seat isnt pulled all the way forward....rather it is far back (almost touching the rear seats) so if i even sit in a vertical position my head doesnt touch the roof...and another question...if the sunroof is in the middle, how does your head touch the sunroof and how is the sunroof in the way
Old 04-05-07, 12:47 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bygtimaish
what are you talking about? Sounds to me like he's just fine, and that maybe your the one who doesnt have common sense. He's addressing valid points that are the concern of many who own an IS, and is just letting us know that this car has a few shortcomings. Although the IS and the 5 series are in two different classes, it is unacceptable for a 40k+ car to have problems such as these. He's bringing up valid points, so don't go critisizing him about being a BMW owner who has nothing better to do.
well if a 40K+ car isn't supposed to have problems like this, tell me why i have so many friends complaining about the 335i, TL, and other cars in the same class?

all cars have their problems, or things that the owner doesn't like about it. i wouldn't necessarily say everything he said was vaild, but we don't need everyone bashing on him as much as we don't need someone making one post to complain about everything wrong.
Old 04-05-07, 12:58 PM
04lrg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Am I the only one who is suspicious of someone who just joined CL even though he has a 2006 IS and his very first post is trashing his IS while lauding BMW? Is there something else going on here?
interesting conspiracy theory.....
Old 04-05-07, 01:33 PM
jdIS350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for replying.

Although it was my first post, it was not meant to be a BMW v. Lexus debate, nor a Lexus trashing. I came out of a BMW, so naturally that is the car I am comparing my 350 to.

My findings/complaints were simply that--my own personal findings/dislikes after driving the car since Aug (10k miles since).

To answer a few comments

1. you could have learned most of these things at a test drive.

My reply: i don't know what dealer you bought your car from, but most test drives don't involved hundreds of miles and days in the cockpit to learn the car's intricacies. A few laps around the block, a sprint on the highway, and then a "sales pitch" from the salesman showing you the major features.

2. BMW lover, Lexus hater....etc

Nope. Sold the 540 and bought the 350 because I actually wanted a slightly smaller sportier car.

3. Why did you end up choosing the 350 if you love bimmers so much?

Believe it or not, to be different, that was my main consideration. On my daily drive to the office (about 8 miles) I see dozens of BMW's. Since Aug, I can count the number of IS350's (and 250's) that I have seen on my hands. .....maybe there's a reason why BMW's seem to be outselling Lexus.

4. One more thing I found I didn't like--(sorry to keep sounding off)--paddle shifters-- scared the *&^% out of me first time at highway speeds when i shifted into "S" and the car backshifted into 4th gear. Secondly, not a true manual gear selector, the gear displayed is actually the highest gear the car will go into--again, odd.

Thanks again to all who responded.
Old 04-05-07, 01:56 PM
Chaser07
Driver

I thought Lexus cars were Uni-Body's...Same frame?...
Old 04-05-07, 05:32 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You obviously prefer a larger BMW, so I would recommend buying one.

In your short test drive, you should have noticed seating position at a minimum. If I was too big for a car, I think I would notice it quickly.

What is the point of this thread? You have our blessing to take a huge depreciation hit on an obviously bad decision (for you). Go buy the Bimmer...best of luck to you. Buy the 5 series or you're going to have some of the same complaints. Enjoy a long and fruitful relationship with your BMW service advisor...after all, you're prepaying for "free" maintenance!

Last edited by 15951; 04-05-07 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 05:46 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

Believe it or not, to be different, that was my main consideration. On my daily drive to the office (about 8 miles) I see dozens of BMW's. Since Aug, I can count the number of IS350's (and 250's) that I have seen on my hands. .....maybe there's a reason why BMW's seem to be outselling Lexus.

I'm glad you gave Lexus a try as most people would not be doing the same as you if they are hard-core bimmers or euro drivers. But as for your reasons and comment, I don't think BMW is necessarily outselling Lexus, maybe in your area, but definity not mine.
Old 04-05-07, 07:14 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reggiek
You are so right. That's why my post only adressed the comfort of the car...something you can judge while testing.

I would disagree. While you can judge what the comfort is like in a test drive, it's only a judgement on the comfort of a 10-minute, 15 minute drive. It's totally different when you drive the car for 10k miles like he said he did.
Old 04-05-07, 08:25 PM
hensta
Driver School Candidate

In your posts you reminisce over your previous BMW for many items and praise Acura for it's ultimate NAV. You can't have it both ways. Germany hasn't discovered how to make a NAV and Japan hasn't figured out the 'magical feel' of BMW driving dynamics. And, so far they do not make a BMAcura so you'll have to commit to a compromise. It's like saying my first girlfriend was the smartest and my second was the hottest but my wife is only a little of both so she's not for me; I'll divorce her and go back to girlfriend #2. Hey, maybe that's why 1/2 of all marriages end up in divorce.
Old 10-26-07, 07:02 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cc16ue
yea, sorry for your bad experience with Lexus, but I think being a big fan of BMW, you are just looking for problems on other cars to justify the perfection of BMWs. Most of your problems could of been solved by the dealers or CL or would of been noticed from your test drive(s) and research before buying the car.

You cant really compare a 5 series to the IS since they are in different class. I'm sure GS owners going over to a 3 series would feel totally different too. I personally love most of the features you had problems with, esp the wiper and the tire sensor. As for the door relocking itself, I remember other car companies having the same feature, INCLUDING BMW!!!

Good luck with your next car.
I agree, you liked BMW not sure why you left it.......but really, why post on CL that you are trading on your IS....???
Not sure about everyone else but if I didn;t like my Lex, i would not be on here telling you, i would be at my next car dealership saying take this I am done!!
Lifes to short Bro, trade it in and move on.....
Best of luck!
Old 10-26-07, 07:04 PM
Mikey2007
Driver School Candidate

Default # of Lex's on the road

Originally Posted by cc16ue

I'm glad you gave Lexus a try as most people would not be doing the same as you if they are hard-core bimmers or euro drivers. But as for your reasons and comment, I don't think BMW is necessarily outselling Lexus, maybe in your area, but definity not mine.
Actually, here in Orlando, I see it least 8 IS's a day!!Kind of wish I didn;t but for teh money, its the best thing for the money..(IMO of course )
Old 10-26-07, 07:25 PM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey mikey, you do realize you have brought back an old thread lol. welcome to the club
Old 10-26-07, 07:30 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

way do dig up a old thread... ya forum nublar
Old 10-26-07, 07:51 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Just trade in your IS for a BMW if you are willing to take the hit. One thing I don't understand, why do you state all these problems here? Don't you know this is a Lexus forum? Anyways, I hope you would be happy this time after buying a BMW. I wouldn't even consider any BMW vehicle anymore after my father's 07 530i, not even close to the refinement and user-friendliness in a Lexus.
Old 10-26-07, 08:32 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

9. The extra delayed wipe when using the windshield washer. Basically smears my otherwise clean windshield. Can this be turned off?

10. Doors lock automatically when I press the key fob. I'm walking to my car, arms full of stuff, and hit the fob to open the door. Car decides to lock the doors again, because I'm not fast enough. I unlocked the f'in door, stay unlocked!!
i agree wit hthose two, i hate clearing the windsheild, washing the wipers wipe the fluid away... and ahhhh beautiful clean glass
wait.. waitt
oh.. damn, now its smeared (repeat).. i took a ride the other day and pulled my windshield fluid thing probably 12 times lol

and.. yeah, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... i play alot of sports and after practice i get to my car, press the key fob trunk bottom so it pops open, unlock the car, open the back door, toss my keys (OOPS), water bottles, and any other stuff im carrying onto the backseat, close the door so my dumbass friend doesnt hit it while backing out (happened to my friends mom's mercedez.. the one day she let him drive it, he had the door opennnn and SLAM lol, bent the entire door backwards), take my pads and helmet and dirty cleats off, toss them in the trunk.. just in time to hear the locks close.... has happened twice.. (yes i know, simple fix, dont toss ur keys in the car and close the door dumbass.. but with a car that is so "Intelligent" that it knows where the key is at all times, why is it that if u leave ur windows open, and lock the car.. and toss the key inside, u cant unlcok it by the handle, or when the key is sitting on the drivers seat that it can't tell? imo they should have expanded the unlcok range to include the inside of the car, hense u can never lock ur keys in ur car.. ever, because if they are in the car, the car will unlock..)
just my 2 cents

otherwise some of the stuff u stated seems to be very small personal comfort things, and partially due to the purchase of the wrong vehicle to suit ur needs

Quick Reply: Unhappy IS350 owner