IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer CRACKED My Windshield!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 05:18 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer CRACKED My Windshield!!!

I was experiencing some wind noise coming from my top right corner of the windshield, so I brought it in to get checked. They found that the mouldings that run along the windshield was loose, so they offered to replace the moulding on each side.

Well, as they were taking off the moulding they cracked the windshield. There's a 12 inch long crack now. I'm so pissed!!!!

Anyways, they're replacing my windshield on Monday.
Has anyone had to replaced their windshiled on their 2IS yet? If so, what are the things that I should make sure they do?

Will post some pics.
Old 03-31-07, 05:22 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

why are you pissed? it was an accident right? they are replacing it for free right? are they giving you a loner also? if so then its all good, accidents happen all the time man. good luck with the windshield.
Old 03-31-07, 05:25 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Yeah, tru its an accident...but still, it won't be the original. They are replacing it for free with another OEM windshield, but i'm just afraid that if they dont seal it properly, water could seep in and eventually cause rust along the windshield. Could this be possible?
Old 03-31-07, 05:26 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

no don't worry.. i cracked my windshield on the way to vegas on the first 2 months i had my car.. i loved how i can start over w/o all the pitted glass again
Old 03-31-07, 05:35 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they will replace it with a OEM windshield since it is their fault and it's a new IS
Old 03-31-07, 06:15 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ihkskim
no don't worry.. i cracked my windshield on the way to vegas on the first 2 months i had my car.. i loved how i can start over w/o all the pitted glass again
I second that, I got a small chip in mine windshield 4 months after I got my car. Pissed me off at first but waited several months to have it replaced because of pitting, couldn't have been happier. Got to love the FL no deductable windshield replacement .

Don't worry about the new glass just double check the A pillers for scratches before you leave. I had a nice scratch on my Acura a few years back from a windshield replacement. Company paid to have it fixed.
Old 03-31-07, 07:04 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sarorn
Yeah, tru its an accident...but still, it won't be the original. They are replacing it for free with another OEM windshield, but i'm just afraid that if they dont seal it properly, water could seep in and eventually cause rust along the windshield. Could this be possible?
who cares if its not orginal, it will be backed up by lexus and will still be under factory warranty. I would not worry about it.........
Old 03-31-07, 07:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarorn
Yes, anytime you replace a windshield you run the risk of leakage with the new windshield. But it's not something I would lose sleep over. Replacing windshields are done every day. Just make sure they replace it with a true OEM windshield, and not a substitute. Make that clear before they begin the exchange on Monday, and VERIFY it before you drive it off the lot.

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
who cares if its not orginal, it will be backed up by lexus and will still be under factory warranty. I would not worry about it.........
You should care if it is true OEM as the OEM version supposedly has coatings and properties that are supposed to help acoustics in the car. How true that is I don't know.
Old 03-31-07, 07:56 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

im refering to the original window that came with the car, not the fact they may not use a NON OEM window, that i would be concerned about.
Old 03-31-07, 08:00 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

sorry but if they've already set the appointment to fix their mistake, why are you so angry??
Old 03-31-07, 09:02 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wolverine
why are you pissed? it was an accident right? they are replacing it for free right? are they giving you a loner also? if so then its all good, accidents happen all the time man. good luck with the windshield.
I agree, why are you so angry about it when it's goin to be fixed. If its not with OEM parts then I might say something about it. Remember, accidents do happen. And this time it just happens to be fixed for free(assuming it is,because its their fault)But I hope everything works out for ya.
Old 03-31-07, 09:44 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Thanks for making me feel a lot better guys!
Yes, they are replacing it for free, and with OEM glass. I even wanna make sure the Lexus 1800# sticker is on there too, it should.

I wasn't dissapointed at the service people at all......
I think I was more sadden by the fact that I have to drive in this wonderful weather all weekend with a 12 inch crack running thru my windshield....oh well.

Thanks for varifying that everything is gonna be ok guys!
Old 03-31-07, 11:36 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't get mad at them unless they use an aftermarket windsheild. Look for the Lexus logo on the glass. It will be the same as new minus the wind noise.
Old 04-01-07, 12:52 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't exactly be pissed, but it would be a major downer. You are right that anytime you replace a windshield you do run the risk of leaks and just general missfitment. You many not notice this right away or even within years, but it can be a problem one day down the road if it wasn't put in properly. A very small leak may not be noticeable at all, but moisture could get trapped causing problems years down the road. If the window was put in a little off, you might have an upper windshield molding that seems to pop out every few years, or the windshield could be prone to cracking easier over time due to stress.

Anyway, at this point there really is nothing you can do since the risk of having something go wrong is still better than no windshield at all. I personally hear a lot of mixed stories. Most have no problems, but there are many that do have problems so although it is done everyday and these are pros doing the work, they are not perfect all the time. It is just something to be aware about, but nothing to concern yourself with unless you are having problems.
Old 04-01-07, 08:25 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be pissed... It sucks when someone breaks your car, even if they will pay for it for free...

Just like if someone rear-ended me and their insurance paid 100%... I'd still be pissed...

Especially because nothing is ever the same as factory fresh... Plus you have to be without your car during the repair time...

The OP has every reason to be pissed... Especially when the dealer breaks something when they are supposed to be fixing the car...

Quick Reply: Dealer CRACKED My Windshield!!!