IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Service manager gave me a hard time.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 08:03 PM
Smoky350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service manager gave me a hard time.

I went for my first 5k mile complimentary service today and told my service writer about the excessive break dust and even showed him the TSB about the problem. The service writer told me that he has to talk to his service manager about changing the brakes. After they finished with the oil change the service writer calls me to talk to his service manager and told me that they can't change the brakes because my wheels are clean and don't show excessive break dust. I told him to take my car off the lift and that I would come back in 5 minutes after I drive the car and I'll show him how much break dust there will be. I also told him that the service bulletin says that they should change the breaks if the customer complains about the excessive break dust and I told them that if they don't change the breaks I would file a complain with lexus and after that they said that they'll change them but they're only doing me a favor.

Did anyone else have a hard time getting the dealership to change the breaks?
Old 03-16-07, 08:09 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my brakes changed out with ease. No problems.

Some dealers just won't do it for you that easily. I'm sure there is alot of people coming in for the "freebie".
Old 03-16-07, 08:14 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Just because there is a TSB doesn't mean they automatically do it. The problem has to be diagnosed or proven. Which only seems logical.
Old 03-16-07, 08:15 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

is it just the pads or rotors too?
Old 03-16-07, 08:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealerships will vary.

Unfortunately, some don't want to waste their time with free services, when changing brake pads on a Lexus typically costs around $200 at the dealership.

The best thing to do is to politely tell that dealership that not only will you contact Lexus Corporate, but you will also take your business elsewhere. Keep it simple.
Old 03-16-07, 08:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by ReLexin
is it just the pads or rotors too?
Pads only...
Old 03-16-07, 08:16 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pocky
I got my brakes changed out with ease. No problems.

Some dealers just won't do it for you that easily. I'm sure there is alot of people coming in for the "freebie".
I did!! ahAHhA At first they didnt want to do it, they had to go over the TSIB and than 2hrs later they agreed to do it, and the best part was that I had about 26k miles
Old 03-16-07, 08:17 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I did!! ahAHhA At first they didnt want to do it, they had to go over the TSIB and than 2hrs later they agreed to do it, and the best part was that I had about 26k miles
hahahaha. 26K. Wat a bastuuuuuuuuuurd.
Old 03-16-07, 08:20 PM
andone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Dealers are like that and you have to show them who the boss before they fix your problem.
Old 03-16-07, 08:26 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Same here. I told them about the TSB on my 20k mile interval service, but they didn't have the brake pads in stock. They told me that they'll do it whenever I want to make another appointment.

I'll get the brakes changed at my 25k mile interval service.

How about some advice: should I get the tires changed at the dealership at the same time (25k mile service), to sort of make the service department a little content by giving them business for helping me out? I mean, they're gonna disassemble the wheels anyways by that time...
Old 03-16-07, 08:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by andone
So Dealers are like that and you have to show them who the boss before they fix your problem.
Not at all true. You just need to be politely insistent. You really don't want a pissed off service advisor telling the tech some jerk who's giving him a hard time wants his brakes fixed. It's a bad recipe.

If they give you the run around, just ask if (s)he'll call the regional service rep so you can chat with him (her) about it.

AFA not getting paid, that's BS. They get 100% paid from Lexus. However, Lexus doesn't pay full shop rate. For the brake pad replacement the difference is less than a dollar though.
Old 03-17-07, 12:22 AM
kschawaii
Pole Position

wait so at your first free check up, if you ask them to change your brake pads even if you dont really need them will they do it?

(sorry for the pointless question)
Old 03-17-07, 01:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Not exactly. Click here for the explanation.
Old 03-17-07, 01:53 AM
t3abag
Driver

i'm getting my dust free pads changed because there is like 15% left on the original brakes. Is it just the way I drive or what? i'm changing them at 16000 KM!!! NOT MPH!!!
Old 03-17-07, 05:39 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Just because there is a TSB doesn't mean they automatically do it. The problem has to be diagnosed or proven. Which only seems logical.

The TSB clearly says if the customer complains about excessive brake dust. Keyword. CUSTOMER. Not what the dealership says, for all they know you could have cleaned the car.

My service writer knew exactly what TSB I was talking about when I brought it up and, with no questions asked.. made the appointment to have them changed.

Quick Reply: Service manager gave me a hard time.