IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hit A Pothole Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 01:07 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
man I hit one last weekend and it freaking pissed me off so bad. It was loud like you are describing. I got out and checked it and everything was good. This is with the stock rim
double check the inner part of rim. sometime it bents inside but not outside..
Old 02-28-07, 03:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

That's actually more common than anything. The outside is very hard to bend, but the inside bends relatively easily.
Old 02-28-07, 09:12 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the inside rim is bent, wouldn't it throw off the balance? So when you hit high speeds on the freeway, wouldn't you feel the vibrations? At least that's what I experienced on the last wheel I damaged.

Maybe we should start a - Spotted Pothole thread (j/k)
Old 03-01-07, 12:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

You'd be surprised how far off it can be without knowing it. A 4mm out of round is enough to need straightening, but not enough to make the steering wheel vibrate. AMHIK.
Old 03-01-07, 07:30 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
If the inside rim is bent, wouldn't it throw off the balance? So when you hit high speeds on the freeway, wouldn't you feel the vibrations? At least that's what I experienced on the last wheel I damaged.

Maybe we should start a - Spotted Pothole thread (j/k)
it depends. Sometime you only bent a little bit just the lip. Sometime you see rims that doesn't look bent but if you put on the balance machine the whole wheels will wobble..
Old 03-01-07, 07:41 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Ok, if the wheel is slightly bent/damaged and you don't feel any vibrations, could there be any long term damage to the car? I guess I can take it off and look at it on a wheel balancing machine. But if there is nothing wrong with the way the car behaves, why bother? Just trying to understand the long term effect, if any.
Old 03-01-07, 07:45 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flip.. I had the same issue with my OEM rim. It was bent but no one could see any physical damage.

But when the put the rim on a balancer, and through varying speeds they could finally see the issue.

Have you tried driving the car at different speeds? I didn't feel any vibrations until I hit a certain MPH range, and I was told.. by several people that a bent rim can increase wear on your tires, and put stress on your steering system, and something about ball joints. I don't know to what extent but it made me terribly uncomfortable to drive with a bent rim.
Old 03-01-07, 07:59 AM
neova
Pole Position

I drove on the freeway, no vibrations whatsoever and the car still drives straight. When I got home, I checked the other side of the rim, no damage. This morning, no flat tire and pressure is the same from the last time I checked it . Whew! These Lexion wheels are tougher than I thought. Just to be on the safe side, I will have the car checked.
I would also check to see if your the internal sidewall belt of your tire has broken (this is what causes your tire to "Bubble" at the sidewall). Even if that internal belt isn't completely broken, if it's damaged, then you need a new tire.
Old 03-01-07, 08:06 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

No vibrations at any speeds and no bubble or visible damage on the tire and rim (both sides). But I can't be sure until it is taken off, looked over with a magnifying glass, and put on a wheel balancer.
Old 03-01-07, 08:14 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Things sound pretty optimistic for you then Flip, I hope nothing happened because problems like that can totally ruin your day.
Old 03-01-07, 08:27 AM
neova
Pole Position

No vibrations at any speeds and no bubble or visible damage on the tire and rim (both sides). But I can't be sure until it is taken off, looked over with a magnifying glass, and put on a wheel balancer.
You might also want to check if there is any internal damage to the wheel.

I had a 19" OZ 1-pc wheel and had the same experience as you did. No damge to wheel or tire. A coumple months later I hit another pothole much smaller at only city speeds and the rim CRACKED and bent at the same time. I took it to a wheel shop and the manager advised there were some internal damage (small crack) from the first pothole incident, and the second impact (althought much less impact) was severe enough to further open the crack.

good luck.
Old 03-09-07, 07:50 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Just came back from a reputable shop. I didn't take it to the dealer because I don't want to open a can of worms due the mods I made to my car. Anyway, no damage to the wheel and suspension.
Old 03-09-07, 08:02 AM
Haiko
Rookie

Nice, I'm glad for you. It sure does say something about the Lexion wheels.