IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installing OEM spoiler on IS---Easy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 07:09 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Installing OEM spoiler on IS---Easy?

So what is involved and can I do it in my garage?
Do they usually come painted?
Where can I get one?
How much do they usually run?
Anything else I should know so I dont screw it up?
Old 02-22-07, 07:36 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I just installed mine this weekend the installation is very very easy.
You can buy oem spoilers from lexus that already come painted for 200dls in e-bay. the installaion manual will tell you that you will need to drill three holes in the trunk, but thats no necessary it will hold just fine with only 3m tape.
Old 02-22-07, 07:38 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I installed mine also. Do it right and just drill like hows its suppose to be done.
Old 02-22-07, 08:33 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I did is drive to a bodykit shop and ask them to do it! They did my front lip too all together they charge me 20$ haha...they only use 3m tape and a hair dryer...
Old 02-22-07, 09:04 PM
neova
Pole Position

I got my front lip and rear spoiler installed at the dealer, since I don't trust myself.

I would be worried about just using the 3M tape to install the parts - if that was strong enough why would Lexus provide the built-in bolts for the rear spoiler and the side brackets for the front lip? At least if you don't want to drill into your front bumper/rear trunk you should use urethane glue as well as 3M tape.
Old 02-22-07, 09:22 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, do not drill holes. This topic has been covered over and over. Just use the tape that comes with the spoiler and dremel off the screws. I added some more 3m tape where there was spaces, but was not needed. I have had my IS to 140mph and it's still on as good as the day i put it on. It's not going anywhere. No need to drill holes in your car.
Old 02-22-07, 09:30 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
Dude, do not drill holes. This topic has been covered over and over. Just use the tape that comes with the spoiler and dremel off the screws. I added some more 3m tape where there was spaces, but was not needed. I have had my IS to 140mph and it's still on as good as the day i put it on. It's not going anywhere. No need to drill holes in your car.
Which begs the question, why did Lexus design the unit with the three attachment points if they thought tape would be sufficient? I don't have much doubt that tape only will work in most cases, but why not install it to OEM specs? As most parents tell their kids, "If you are going to do a job, do it right". You are right that this topic has been covered many times, but I'd recommend not cutting corners, and do it to spec.
Old 02-22-07, 09:34 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by neova
I got my front lip and rear spoiler installed at the dealer, since I don't trust myself.

I would be worried about just using the 3M tape to install the parts - if that was strong enough why would Lexus provide the built-in bolts for the rear spoiler and the side brackets for the front lip? At least if you don't want to drill into your front bumper/rear trunk you should use urethane glue as well as 3M tape.
did you guys fail to notice that the "built in" brackets were held on my 3M Tape anyway? so technically its held on by tape regardless. if you put more 3m tape where the bracket was.. logically it should be stronger than putting on w/ the brackets.

the spoiler i can't say much because it acutally has built in screw points.. but the kit? yeah
Old 02-22-07, 09:35 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

I guess drilling would help holding it better, but if you think you are gonna go for a different style of wings later on, then don't drill.
Otherwise, drill it although 3m tape is strong enough to hold it. Who knows? It can be stolen easily, may come off during drive-through carwash and blah blah without drilling..
Old 02-22-07, 09:36 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by ihkskim
did you guys fail to notice that the "built in" brackets were held on my 3M Tape anyway? so technically its held on by tape regardless. if you put more 3m tape where the bracket was.. logically it should be stronger than putting on w/ the brackets.
Nevermind what I just said..
Old 02-22-07, 09:40 PM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Which begs the question, why did Lexus design the unit with the three attachment points if they thought tape would be sufficient? I don't have much doubt that tape only will work in most cases, but why not install it to OEM specs? As most parents tell their kids, "If you are going to do a job, do it right". You are right that this topic has been covered many times, but I'd recommend not cutting corners, and do it to spec.
excatly. I originally thought it would be better not to drill holes so when i eventually sell the car i would take off the parts and sell seperately. I looked at the instructions and decided that I own a $40K car, not an economy car. Better do it right myself or get it professionally installed (in my case at the dealer and have it included under Lexus warranty)
Old 02-22-07, 09:50 PM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ihkskim
did you guys fail to notice that the "built in" brackets were held on my 3M Tape anyway? so technically its held on by tape regardless. if you put more 3m tape where the bracket was.. logically it should be stronger than putting on w/ the brackets
Yes, i'm aware. A member who posted the DIY photo tutorial also did not drill his front bumper and just "snapped' off the brackets that were held on by 3M tape.
But this is an OEM design so why mess with it?

There are many ways to install this spoiler and I just chose to do it the OEM way, which is what I would recommend to other members wanting to install OEM body kits on their IS.
Old 02-22-07, 10:02 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

Any recommended places to buy it?
Old 02-22-07, 10:28 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Why cut off the ribbits and do a half *** job?? Just drill the holes. Drilling holes isnt going to cause any problems, the spoiler covers those holes.

Here are some pics of my dad and I installing my spoiler the proper way.

Old 02-22-07, 10:53 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Damnn you actually have to drill? You know that overtime rust will settle in around the bolt/hole...unless you get it rust treated after you drill the hole.

Quick Reply: Installing OEM spoiler on IS---Easy?