IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A coin holder would have been nice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 12:20 PM
lexem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty funny, i think, with all the smoking bands they have done around this country that Lexus would have an ashtray as the standard and not a coin holder. I'm not saying it's good or bad but if the norm is not to smoke, wouldn't you think they would have an ashtray option instead just incase you do smoke in the car. I mean they don't have ashtray's for the rear. Just my two cents.
Old 02-19-07, 12:35 PM
dajwilson
Driver

I just use the ash tray. I have not heard the rattle that some have talked about. I just know I wouldn't pay $185 for the replacement accessory for it.
Old 02-19-07, 01:04 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Can you name a car that doesn't have an ashtray?? I can name plenty that dont have coin holders... but off the top of my head I simply cannot think of one that doesn't have an ashtray.

So, it would be a damnned if you do / don't situation. If they didn't have an ash tray people would be saying "are you kidding me... Lexus can't even get it right on something as simple as a standard ash tray that comes in every single production car in the market"
Old 02-19-07, 01:20 PM
Davizzo
Driver School Candidate

i know for a fact that the tsx dont have an ashtray. they have a coinholder.. it even got the "thingy" to separate the quarters nickels dimes and pennies... i know that now some honda cars dont have ***-trays. Cause they dont promote smoking. And i notices the they dont even have ciggarete lighters as much anymore
Old 02-19-07, 02:20 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

I stand corrected. Haven't been in a TSX nor a Honda lately... Thanks for the info. :-)
Old 02-19-07, 02:26 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
Can you name a car that doesn't have an ashtray?? I can name plenty that dont have coin holders... but off the top of my head I simply cannot think of one that doesn't have an ashtray.

So, it would be a damnned if you do / don't situation. If they didn't have an ash tray people would be saying "are you kidding me... Lexus can't even get it right on something as simple as a standard ash tray that comes in every single production car in the market"
Haha a Cavalier/Cobolt didn't come with an astray or the plug you had to get the "Smoker's Package" I'm thinking its just GM being cheap.

However, a coin holder would have been nice but the ashtray works fine and I don't have any of the sound. Maybe you guys are just driving on rough roads. :P
Old 02-19-07, 03:04 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Japan is the ONLY market that gets the power-folding mirrors, if I recall.

Besides, as much as people talk about anti-smoking, I still see a TON of people who smoke and/or carry cigarettes on a regular basis, even here in health-crazed California. So apparently smokers are still a not-insignificant portion of the population.
Old 02-20-07, 08:51 AM
n3w813
Driver School Candidate

Honda Accord does not have an ashtray or cigarette lighter. Only a single power outlet. (At least on my 94, and my friend's 01)

I had to buy an ashtray that sat on the dash and jacked the cigarette lighter from my brother's old sentra. :P
Old 02-20-07, 01:39 PM
93illini
Driver School Candidate

Pulled out the ash tray insert and went with this option. With some foam tape on either side it's pretty snug.

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accesso...8&s=automotive

Had also tried the Type-S coin holder sized for a cupholder. Had it under the center armrest, but found that location wasn't very convenient.
Old 02-20-07, 04:16 PM
CHRISIS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 93illini
Pulled out the ash tray insert and went with this option. With some foam tape on either side it's pretty snug.

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accesso...8&s=automotive

Had also tried the Type-S coin holder sized for a cupholder. Had it under the center armrest, but found that location wasn't very convenient.
How tall is the Type-S coin holder?
Old 02-20-07, 04:31 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Isn't this great. People who own the IS complain of the lack of a coin holder or enough cupholders. I know people who own TL/CL/Odysseys (which have a nice coin holder and plenty of cupholders) who are going thru their 2nd or 3rd transmissions. We IS owners have it soooo bad . . .
Old 02-20-07, 07:17 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I do for the coins and the lighter (I put a Blue LED light I wish to get a ligher cover but can't find a good looking one)
Old 02-20-07, 08:20 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an idea reading this thread... You know those 'blank' rectangular slots to the left of the steering wheel? Why not pop one of them out and purchase an oem coin holder (from lexus or toyota) and pop it in there? If they're the same size (which i figure they are), that should solve this issue.
Old 02-21-07, 04:38 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Coins goes into your pockets. That's what pockets are made for.
Coin pockets in cars are for girls...
Old 02-21-07, 07:24 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
Point taken. Generally speaking, those driving "luxury vehicles" will take the toll because they can afford it? Whereas those who would rather save the money will take non-toll roads.

Really - this has become a bigger issue that it is intended to be!!
Now you're making stuff up to justify your position. Piece of advice: When you're in a hole, stop digging.

Having a coin holder is a convenience thing. Instead of digging into your pockets or purse while sitting in your car, just reach into the coin holder and pull out a couple coins for the toll, drive-thru, or parking meter. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Quick Reply: A coin holder would have been nice