IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A coin holder would have been nice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 04:57 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I did. I just got a small cup and put it under the cupholder from withing the center console. Everytime I get change, I just put it in there. There should be more cupholders for the IS. I'm so use to the two cupholders that comes standard on almost every car, but with the IS250, I only get one visible cupholder and the other one is hidden under the console cover lol, if that's a cupholder at all
Old 02-18-07, 06:42 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
Most people driving a LExus will have a Toll Tag... thus, don't use coins at the toll.
Sorry, but that does not justify not including one. Using this logic, you could say that most Lexus drivers park in key-carded garages and don't park on the street where there are parking meters. Idiotic.
Old 02-18-07, 06:45 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Man, WTF is a freaking Toll Tag?!?! Lol, it must not be important if I don't know what it is
Old 02-18-07, 06:54 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
Man, WTF is a freaking Toll Tag?!?! Lol, it must not be important if I don't know what it is
Its an east coast thing -- they don't have many toll roads in CA, at least not yet.

Instead of waiting in a long line to pay the toll on a toll road, you can install an electronic device (a "Toll Tag") that that is scanned at the toll as you drive through it at about 30 MPH. The device charges your credit card for the cost of the toll. Its supposed to get people through the tolls faster, and it works in most cases. Lots of people who commute on a toll road use this to speed up their commute. But for us slobs who don't, we still pay in cash. Thus the usefulnes of a coinholder.
Old 02-18-07, 07:29 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Wow - seriously. So much animoisty on this forum for such a simlple comment. It's not just an East Cost thing - here in Texas we have what is called a "Texas Tag" All the major cities (Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio) all have toll roads. We can just drive through the "toll tag" lane on ANY toll road in ANY of these cities. We even have a few roads here in Houston that are "toll tag ONLY" roads. You can't even use coins on them... you MUST have a tag otherwise a picture will be taken of your car and you'll be given a fine.

As for someone calling 20x per year "regular"... I don't call that regular and would not get one either if that is how often I used one. I drive to / from work every day and go through 3 toll booths each way... that is what I call "regular."

Anyway... the point I was trying to make I guess is limited to my area. Here in Houston, just about everyone has a toll tag. ESPECIALLY those with "luxury" vehicles. Using the toll road to get around is just a way of life down here.

Personally, I don't think this is poor planning anyway. Neither of my last two cars had one (BMW, VW). You might say the Germans don't use toll roads but there are plenty over there - I guess they just use toll tags there too??
I think they are just a waste of space... and I'm sure Lexus has done enough market research to come to the conclusion that more people don't need i than those that do.
Old 02-18-07, 08:47 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

that thing is called fast trak in norcal and i think the same in socal
Old 02-18-07, 10:57 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

I think the problem is that as a "global" lexus model, we got stuck with the japanese designers who don't realize people in places like the US don't smoke like chimneys and consider eating/drinking in public or in the car to be a perfectly normal, socially acceptable task. If you look at the first gen Sienna (a minivan!), it had very few cupholders as well. The designers realized their errors for the second generation.
Old 02-19-07, 08:48 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah that is so ture! I am just wander would that because LEXUS owner don't carry coins? I took the ashtray out and put all the coins in... haha
Old 02-19-07, 09:00 AM
lexem
Pole Position

Go to a hobby or craft store and buy some adhesive felt. Take out the ashtray and cut the felt to fit the ashtray. This will solve the rattle problem. Just make sure you don’t use it as an ashtray after doing this. I think I’m going to do this today. I’ll post some pictures.
Old 02-19-07, 10:03 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

is there anyway to remove the ashtray? I had it full of coins and i couldnt figure out how to take the ashtray out to remove the coins. Had to take them out a few at a tiem >_<
Old 02-19-07, 10:04 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

It would have been nice, but i use the ashtray so no big deal.
Old 02-19-07, 10:06 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jewel
is there anyway to remove the ashtray? I had it full of coins and i couldnt figure out how to take the ashtray out to remove the coins. Had to take them out a few at a tiem >_<
Ha, I had the same problem. There's a button right next to it and the power outlet. You can't see it unless u look.

That's why I'm ok with using the ashtray now.. it works fine for me as a change holder.
Old 02-19-07, 10:29 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
just about everyone has a toll tag. ESPECIALLY those with "luxury" vehicles.
I must be missing something. What does owning a luxury vehicle have to do with need for a toll tag? It's not like they are costly or difficult to obtain. I'd expect that regardless of what kind of vehicle they drive, motorists who regularly use toll roads would have them, and those who rarely travel on toll roads wouldn't bother.
Old 02-19-07, 11:18 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Irishman06
I think the problem is that as a "global" lexus model, we got stuck with the japanese designers who don't realize people in places like the US don't smoke like chimneys and consider eating/drinking in public or in the car to be a perfectly normal, socially acceptable task. If you look at the first gen Sienna (a minivan!), it had very few cupholders as well. The designers realized their errors for the second generation.
By this train of thought - then why didn't we get the folding mirrors? Because our roads are bigger? If that is the case, then clearly they do alter the vehicle according to the market.
Old 02-19-07, 11:19 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
I must be missing something. What does owning a luxury vehicle have to do with need for a toll tag? It's not like they are costly or difficult to obtain. I'd expect that regardless of what kind of vehicle they drive, motorists who regularly use toll roads would have them, and those who rarely travel on toll roads wouldn't bother.
Point taken. Generally speaking, those driving "luxury vehicles" will take the toll because they can afford it? Whereas those who would rather save the money will take non-toll roads.

Really - this has become a bigger issue that it is intended to be!!

Quick Reply: A coin holder would have been nice