IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?
Yes
42.21%
No
57.79%
Voters: 462. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 05:33 PM
carvelo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carvelo
I bought my smoky granite mica IS250 3 days ago and went in for my first free wash this morning. Unforutnately, it came out and has the worst looking swirl marks I've ever seen on a new car. It looked awful, so I talked to the service manager and he agreed to have it polished soon. I'm really hoping that all the damage can be undone by the polish next week. I just can't believe that a lexus dealership would do this to their own cars. I figured I could trust their wash to not leave a ton of swirl marks.

So my question is, do you actually use the Lexus dealer wash? I've always washed my own cars, but this time I thought I could trust the dealer. I was wrong. BTW, dealership is Lexus of Austin...
Just wanted to follow-up on this post...Lexus of Austin did a great job in correcting the swirl marks. I took my car in this morning and they gave me a free full detail and polished the car so that there are no longer any swirl marks. I won't be taking my car there for any more free carwashes, but I appreciated that they did everything they could to make things right.
Old 02-07-07, 07:03 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would if I was in the area, but the dealer isn't convenient to where I usually am. What am I saying, I haven't washed my car since November anyway. Maybe I should go down there soon...
Old 02-07-07, 08:10 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to follow-up on this post...Lexus of Austin did a great job in correcting the swirl marks. I took my car in this morning and they gave me a free full detail and polished the car so that there are no longer any swirl marks. I won't be taking my car there for any more free carwashes, but I appreciated that they did everything they could to make things right.
I'm glad they repaired their mistake.

Just for everyone's info, be careful when having swirls corrected. Be positive that the detailer is actually polishing the swirls out (essentially levelling the clear coat), not applying a glaze. Glazes and sealants with oils will fill swirls temporarily, and the car will look great until you wash it a few times.

You won't really know if this happens until it's too late (a month or two later when the swirls reappear), so it pays to make sure the detailer is claying-->polishing-->sealing-->waxing (optional).
Old 02-08-07, 09:32 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

I don't think I have ever seen or heard of any dealer that clays the car...
Old 02-08-07, 01:41 PM
carvelo
Driver School Candidate

They polished the car, and as for claying, I bought the car 2 days ago, so I doubt claying would have been worthwhile anyway. There wouldn't be much debris to pick up with a clay bar.
Old 02-08-07, 04:37 PM
dong888
Pole Position

I personally wash my own and wax everytime after the wash. I do let Fremont Lexus (Bay Area) wash my car. I went to the back and saw their washing facility once. The dealer ship uses ionized water and microfiber cloth. They actually wax the car as well as vaccumming interior and I am happy with the result.

The new location now has massage chairs at your disposal and LCD TV for you to watch some DVD. $66.xx for motor oil/filter change aint too bad.
Old 02-08-07, 05:22 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RyanDe680
I don't think I have ever seen or heard of any dealer that clays the car...
That's why I said "detailer", and not "dealer".
Old 02-08-07, 05:23 PM
Lexus Test Driver

They polished the car, and as for claying, I bought the car 2 days ago, so I doubt claying would have been worthwhile anyway. There wouldn't be much debris to pick up with a clay bar.
Many cars have rail dust and other crap on the paint as a result of shipping. You'd be amazed at how much stuff accumulates on your finish during transit from the factory to the dealer. I've clayed new cars that were bad enough to warrant throwing the clay bar away after finishing.
Old 02-08-07, 10:41 PM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

Carlsbad Lexus has had a problem with their carwash in that they damage the wheels because the IS350 has low profile tires. At first I couldn't figure out why my wheels were damaged on the front side where the wheel/tire latches on to the clamps. I had the dealer fix the wheels and sure enough next week they were damaged again. I soon determined that it was the car wash that was causing the damage. They have been waiting for a fix but it's been over six months. I no longer bring the car to the dealer for the car wash. I wash mine myself without damaging it. It's too bad the dealer won't address the problem.
Old 02-13-07, 10:25 AM
LexusTime2
Driver School Candidate

Does every Lexus dealer offer a free car cash (without maint service)? Can you drop by any Lexus dealership other than the one you originally purchased your car at and get a free car wash?
Old 02-14-07, 08:17 AM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTime2
Does every Lexus dealer offer a free car cash (without maint service)? Can you drop by any Lexus dealership other than the one you originally purchased your car at and get a free car wash?
Not sure, but my LS has a sticker on the lower corner of the windshield indicating "Preferred Customer Wash" or something like that. I was told when I bought the car I could bring it in anytime and get it washed for free. I asked last night when I was at the dealer and was told people even get their cars washed when it's snowing, etc.. I told them I wasn't that extreme, but appreciated the info.

Sewell btw, Fort Worth, TX.

Anyone have experience with their wash service?
Old 02-14-07, 07:50 PM
carvelo
Driver School Candidate

Haven't had direct experience, but my salesman there told me they only use shami type clothes to wash the car which will leave fewer (if any) swirl marks.
Old 02-18-07, 12:20 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, dealer wash are all the same to me. I had it washed there one time already. No big whoop.

I just take it to the driver though car wash at a gas station. Then I take turns getting it washed at a regular car wash place for that extra detail shine. The gas station is pretty descent. You just have to make sure you pull over and dry the car yourself and wipe down the rims real quick. It's an easy 10 minute work. Results are good and cheap too. For $6.00, it's dirt cheap. Then I'll pay the extra money for "The Works". It's fun being in the car while it's washing.
Old 02-18-07, 01:35 AM
misterbear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
Meh, dealer wash are all the same to me. I had it washed there one time already. No big whoop.

I just take it to the driver though car wash at a gas station. Then I take turns getting it washed at a regular car wash place for that extra detail shine. The gas station is pretty descent. You just have to make sure you pull over and dry the car yourself and wipe down the rims real quick. It's an easy 10 minute work. Results are good and cheap too. For $6.00, it's dirt cheap. Then I'll pay the extra money for "The Works". It's fun being in the car while it's washing.
I take it you aren't too concerned with swirl marks on your SGM. I have a SGM, but I won't be taking it through the gas station wash ever... you get what you pay for.
Old 02-18-07, 02:12 PM
dkcivic82
Driver

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla

I would be very cautious about those gas station car washes as the brush can easily scratch your car. If I ever need a car wash I would just take it to a 100 percent Hand car wash but even after that i am still kinda scared of swirls. I also have a SGM

Quick Reply: Do you use the Lexus dealer car wash?