IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Traction Control sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 09:08 AM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction Control sucks.

Do you guys like the 2IS traction control? Do you think it holds well?

i was driving around today very slowly..just cruising around and went to take a turn..i was going about 25 and i turned the wheel to the left, and my traction control started beeping and the car totaly lost control and slammed into the side of the curb! There was absolutely nothing i could do..and now my whole passenger side is messed up. Including my new wheels. I can't believe this..

and it wasnt my tires either..they're new.
Old 01-28-07, 09:53 AM
Cleric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there ice or snow on the ground? I don't want to sound like an a$$ but traction control is not a substitute for common sense. Traction control is really limited to the amount of traction the tires can provide and the road surface, and if they were sumer tires on ice or snow, traction control cannot offer any traction.
Old 01-28-07, 10:03 AM
BoSS250
Rookie

I think its too invasive there have been many times where i need to "get up and go" and the pavment was loose and im siting there reving my engin and goin no where but there have been many times it saved my badunk
Old 01-28-07, 01:13 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Traction or stability control cannot rewrite the laws of physics.
Old 01-28-07, 02:02 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdeslandes
Traction or stability control cannot rewrite the laws of physics.
Old 01-28-07, 02:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Can't blame traction control for not doing its thing if there's no traction available. Hit an ice patch or an oil patch, and you're just a passenger sitting in the driver's seat no matter what kind of controls they have on the car.
Old 01-28-07, 02:11 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bygtimaish

i was driving around today very slowly..just cruising around and went to take a turn..i was going about 25 and i turned the wheel to the left, and my traction control started beeping and the car totaly lost control and slammed into the side of the curb! There was absolutely nothing i could do..and now my whole passenger side is messed up. Including my new wheels. I can't believe this..

Ok here is the situation:

Im pulling out of a parking lot -- I proceed to turn Left, I gun the gas, and BOOM major Slippage, so much that my car started to turn towards the CURB just like you.

What was my first re-action? Let off the GASS pedal, the car STOPED so dam fast, i dam near fractured my elbo. Luckly, I did'nt hit the curb, BUT came dam near close. Also, lucky no cars were behind me.

Reason:

It was wet/rainy, not a good combination for gunning it on a turn
Old 01-28-07, 02:54 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

i understand i cant blame traction control, but there was no ice or snow. It was completely dry..i dont know what happened..
Old 01-28-07, 03:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

new tires need to be "worn" in before they provide the best traction
Old 01-28-07, 03:12 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

the weren't brand new..about 5,000 miles on em..
Old 01-28-07, 03:27 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the weren't brand new..about 5,000 miles on em..
Tires with 5,000 miles can slip on a corner at 25 mph if the conditions are right (obviously...this thread is proof). I didn't see it happen, so I have no idea if anything slippery was on the ground, if you overcorrected when the rear end started coming out, if you turned the wheel too quickly...who knows?

All I can tell you is my experience with my IS350. I was driving in the rain the other day and taking a left from a stop, and the rear end started coming out because I was probably accelerating too fast. The nannies stepped in and corrected the problem before it became a spin, and I was on my way.

I think traction/stability control works well most of the time, but there are always going to be instances where nothing can stop you from slamming into that curb.
Old 01-28-07, 03:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

i understand i cant blame traction control, but there was no ice or snow. It was completely dry..i dont know what happened..
I had something similar happen as I was accelerating making a left turn from a stop. It felt like oil on the pavement, but I couldn't see anything. I just remember countersteering hard as the car came around, and the wife saying, "What the hell are you doing?"

I had another lane to my right, so I didn't hit anything but had there been a curb, I would have been in it for sure.

Do you have an '06? 350? I found out this weekend that the skid control ECU has been updated for '07 (as we all knew) and that if you have a problem with your current ECU, they'll install the '07 ECU to replace it. BTW, that ECU is a $1500 item from Lexus. It costs more than the engine ECM.
Old 01-28-07, 03:36 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I had something similar happen as I was accelerating making a left turn from a stop. It felt like oil on the pavement, but I couldn't see anything. I just remember countersteering hard as the car came around, and the wife saying, "What the hell are you doing?"

I had another lane to my right, so I didn't hit anything but had there been a curb, I would have been in it for sure.

Do you have an '06? 350? I found out this weekend that the skid control ECU has been updated for '07 (as we all knew) and that if you have a problem with your current ECU, they'll install the '07 ECU to replace it. BTW, that ECU is a $1500 item from Lexus. It costs more than the engine ECM.
Have there been problems reported with the '06 MY ECU or was it just optimized for '07 MY?
Old 01-28-07, 04:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No problems. They just added the ability to turn off the VSC through the switch on the dash instead of using the "pedal dance" to gain full control of the car.
Old 01-28-07, 04:41 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

so let me understand, you lost control of your car at 25 mph, craashed it, and you're trying to blame the traction control?

I've driven this car 14,000 miles now in all kinds of conditions for over a year, there's nothing wrong with it. It's the driver.

No offense.

Quick Reply: Traction Control sucks.