IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

6 x 1.000 songs on DVD in Mark Levinson System!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 01:11 PM
Jaapski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 6 x 1.000 songs on DVD in Mark Levinson System!

I burned a DVD with around 1.000 audio tracks and played 'm in the Mark Levinson system all day. (Dunno if someone already has done this, since the idea is from another thread).

I used Dvd Creator http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm. The tool works quite easy and allows you to drag folders with mp3z. When you burn a project all mp3z are converted to .ac3 files and stored as VOB files on a DVD video. For each folder you get a titlemenu which you can browse to using the funny arrow keys in the DVD video playback mode. You can add images to the title menus, which show on screen.

From driving around for 5 hours today I found this all works quite nice. The sound quality is good when set to surround (might have to do with the ac3 files).

The ****ty things I could come up with are:
  • you don't have playlists
  • no shuffle
  • the converting of 1 DVD takes about 3,5 hours (handling is about in 15-30 minutes)
  • You need to have the Mark Levinson adjusted so you can watch DVDs while driving (This makes you use the nav as well during driving > everyone should have this done in my opinion)

Hope this helps anyone who thought you could play DVD mp3s.
Old 01-25-07, 09:28 PM
maz
Lead Lap

I don't think its necessary to do the nav hack for this since the ML system will still play the audio from DVDs while driving even though it doesn't show any video.
Old 01-25-07, 10:29 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep done that. i didn't burn 1,000 tho, more like a couple dozen....couldn't wait that long (several hours). also i mixed audio music and music videos on one dvd.
Old 11-17-07, 11:53 PM
unknown2
Driver

Old 11-17-07, 11:56 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Would this be a dual layer DVD?

Word... I have more than I can use on an MPD CD!?
Old 11-18-07, 01:27 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much is the full version of DVD creator after the trial expires?
Old 11-18-07, 03:42 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isnt the whole point of a dvd... video? if your just gonna listen to audio just burn onto a cd. if your gonna burn dvd's why not burn all music videos?
Old 11-18-07, 04:38 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is350jonny
isnt the whole point of a dvd... video? if your just gonna listen to audio just burn onto a cd. if your gonna burn dvd's why not burn all music videos?
DVD, like CD, is digital data storage, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less. ANY kind of data can be stored on either one. DVD, though, has much higher capacity.
Old 11-18-07, 08:00 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
How much is the full version of DVD creator after the trial expires?
I bet if you go to their website, or choose to purchase the software when you open up the trial, they'd be glad to tell you!

Old 11-18-07, 08:20 AM
bigmemory
Driver

Has anyone tried just listening to a store bought DVD-Audio DVD?

Much higher fidelity than standard CDs... and with surround.

An excellent one to buy is "Queeen - Night At The Opera" in DVD-Audio!
Hearing Freddie come out of all 5 channels at different times is incredible. Also Brian May's guitar playing really sounds good.
Old 11-18-07, 09:47 AM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

Just bought my IS-350 yesterday. It's black on black and fully loaded.

Yes, DVD audio can sound better than standard CD's and with surround, but that doesn't mean they will sound better than CD's. They're capable of that but it depends on a lot of factors including how they were mastered.

I'm interested in seeing if the Levinson unit can play wav files recorded onto a DVD. I'm an audio engineer and into high quality sound. I can't listen to compressed music files in most cases.

The main reason I bought this car was for the Levinson stereo system. My plan is to customize a Squeezebox and run it through the sound system. This would allow me to have over 3000 CD's available in non compressed form. Actually I store the files in FLAC format, but they playback just like the original CD's.

Btw, I have Levinson gear in my home playback system.
Old 11-18-07, 12:24 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigmemory
Has anyone tried just listening to a store bought DVD-Audio DVD?
I actually wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped. I was looking for more vocals in teh dash speaker, didn't notice much separation. Also, I had to crank the volume up with the DVD-audio disc more than normal.

BTW, Can anyone canfirm that an MP3 or CD in our MLk will not be 5.1 as a DVD-Audio would? Or would they both have audio separated in the same 5.1 format?
Old 11-18-07, 12:45 PM
dsclar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES3
I actually wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped. I was looking for more vocals in teh dash speaker, didn't notice much separation. Also, I had to crank the volume up with the DVD-audio disc more than normal.

BTW, Can anyone canfirm that an MP3 or CD in our MLk will not be 5.1 as a DVD-Audio would? Or would they both have audio separated in the same 5.1 format?
I know of no way to get discreet 5.1 out of a CD or MP3.

As for the separation or the vocals out of the dash, it has nothing to do with the format, but how the disc was mixed. There are no real rules as to what goes where.

Same goes with volume. I can show you 2 CD's that have a 10db difference in their levels. In other words one will have to be turned up much louder to be the same volume. In fact, the trend these days it to master CD's very loud and often they compress the heck out them to do that. That can reduce the dynamic range (difference between softest and loudest sounds) significantly which can sound horrible on a good system. That is why many folks prefer older CD's as opposed to remasters. New is not always better and is often not as good.
Old 11-18-07, 12:50 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dsclar
I know of no way to get discreet 5.1 out of a CD or MP3.

As for the separation or the vocals out of the dash, it has nothing to do with the format, but how the disc was mixed. There are no real rules as to what goes where.
Will there be more separation in a 5.1 dvd-audio disc than any MP3 or CD?
In other words, should an MP3/CD, when played in our ML's "surround" version, have much/any separation?
Old 11-18-07, 04:34 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Will there be more separation in a 5.1 dvd-audio disc than any MP3 or CD?
In other words, should an MP3/CD, when played in our ML's "surround" version, have much/any separation?
When you turn on the ML's surround on a CD/MP3 disc, the closest you will possibly get to a surround sound is the "simulation". If you have a 5.1 DVD-Audio disc, the channels are mixed discretely meaning specific channels are meant to be sent to specific speakers using the decoder (either Dolby Digital or DTS) built in your head unit.

If you have a DVD-Audio disc of Blue Man Group, it comes with both DTS tracks and conventional tracks. You will definitely hear the difference between a true DTS/Dolby Digital surround and simulated surround ML put out on the conventional tracks.

Terrance

Quick Reply: 6 x 1.000 songs on DVD in Mark Levinson System!