IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 06:39 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toptier
unless you live in high altitude like me 6000+ ft. Then the 335i will blow the IS350 away.
stop lying. get over it. the 335i stock isnt that much faster than the IS
Old 07-20-07, 07:35 AM
Toptier
Pole Position

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
how am I lying? I'm just stating a fact.
Old 07-20-07, 08:06 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

335i MAY be a tad faster to 60, but requires perfect launch with the manual, whereas 350 only needs pedal to the metal
Old 07-20-07, 08:24 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlin101
335i MAY be a tad faster to 60, but requires perfect launch with the manual, whereas 350 only needs pedal to the metal
If you want to compare cars, compare auto to auto. The BMW steptronic is much better than the Lexus Automatic.
Old 07-20-07, 08:29 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OC 335i
If you want to compare cars, compare auto to auto. The BMW steptronic is much better than the Lexus Automatic.
Not the 328 step that I had as a loaner for a few weeks. The step was crap in auto mode. Sloppy slow shifts, never knew what gear to be in, couldn't downshift smoothly, etc.

There must have been something wrong with it though, because it didn't seem to be the norm for the steps
Old 07-20-07, 08:33 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by k_dizzle
It is a FACT that boosted cars lose less power at altitude than NA cars. Calm down. If you don't like it, then don't move to denver.

This debate started on a bad premise....that it matters which is faster to 60, and it doesn't. If you are that concerned with the fastest, you shouldn't be shopping anything that BMW or Lexus sells, because there are cheaper faster more moddable cars out there.
Old 07-20-07, 08:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

When I was deciding what car to get, I REALLY liked Audi's DSG. The only thing I didn't like was their v6 (although the 2.0T is really nice) and their nav.

I liked the 335's engine, but wasn't a fan of their interior either.

I liked the Acura TL-S's exterior (although it's a bit dated), but it drove too much like the Accord I was upgrading from.

I just hated the Infiniti's ride and interior.

BTW, in my opinion a "real" sports car is pretty much anything in the Lotus lineup. Those things are sex.
Old 07-20-07, 09:00 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by euro.r
Also, the 335 does not handle well in stock form even with the sports suspension; too soft and floaty. The IS sports suspension seems firmer but during cornering there's too much body roll.
Might want to take a look at this:

"But what floored us was that the 335i’s best lap (3:10.5) was 1.2 seconds quicker than the M coupe’s. It’s a case of neutral handling over outright speed. Whereas the M coupe had understeer at turn-in that switched to oversteer at the exit, the 335i was nearly perfectly balanced everywhere and made up most of its time in the region between the braking zone and turn apex, which is why many of us at Car and Driver think it’s the best all-around car in the world. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...35i-coupe.html
Old 07-20-07, 09:05 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jlin101
We can see from this side by side test http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124138 that the automatic 335i is definitely the faster car. Also interesting that the BMW has a quieter engine.
Old 07-20-07, 09:21 AM
SonnyIs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
It's an American syndrome where 'fastest' means 'how fast' in a 1/4 mile straight line. Which is why we are so enamored with boring racing like NASCAR where jigged up cars go round and round in an oval. ZZZZzzzz....... Real racing takes place on tracks that have curves and some elevation changes that challenge the car and the skill of the driver.
I disagree with your statement.Until you have been behind the wheel of a NASCAR going upper 190's to 200+ going 3 wide nose to tail don't knock it! And sure don't compare it to those that race single file most of the time with the exception of maybe a pass here and there. JMO
Old 07-20-07, 09:40 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by insider
We can see from this side by side test http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124138 that the automatic 335i is definitely the faster car. Also interesting that the BMW has a quieter engine.
That's interesting because last night I was telling my fiancee how much quieter my 335i was to her IS. I think the Bridgestone Turanzas included with the IS aren't the greatest for road noise. I saw a figures and was very surprised that cabin noise was slightly less than the IS. The ride in the IS on the other hand is much softer and tame compared to the 335i though. Some of this is the harder suspension on the 335i and some of it is the run crap (flat) tires.
Old 07-20-07, 07:55 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Toptier
how am I lying? I'm just stating a fact.
i know the 335i is faster. but def NOT blowing this IS away. relax
Old 07-20-07, 08:01 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
It is a FACT that boosted cars lose less power at altitude than NA cars. Calm down. If you don't like it, then don't move to denver.

This debate started on a bad premise....that it matters which is faster to 60, and it doesn't. If you are that concerned with the fastest, you shouldn't be shopping anything that BMW or Lexus sells, because there are cheaper faster more moddable cars out there.
im glad i dont live in denver. and who cares whos faster. all i know is aint no stock 335i BLOWING me away in MI. they might beat me. but def not BLOW me away.

for the record , i didnt buy a is350 for SPEED. speed was like third on the list, who needs speed for everyday driving? i was looking for comfort and realibility.
Old 07-20-07, 08:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine

It's a fact? No it isn't. It's a myth. Turbos work off pressure ratios. Less pressure in, less pressure out. End of story. If you don't modify anything, you get the same power loss as an NA engine. It's physics. Boost is measured PSIG not PSIA, so 14 psi at sea level isn't the same as 14 psi in Denver. Your number in Denver still comes up just as short as it does for the NA boys.

Oh, yeah, I've lived in Denver and tuned motorcycles there too, so I have a pretty strong foundation in how this stuff works at altitude.
Old 07-20-07, 11:06 PM
cancellino
Pole Position

At the end of the day, they are both sweet cars...I wouldn't kick either out of my garage for leaking oil (well maybe).

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)