IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 12:10 AM
jkiamco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but....

Is there anyone in SoCal that can perform this hack flawlessly at a reasonable rate? I just don't trust myself with all these damn wires and don't have the time to devote to it. So if anyone can refer me to a shop or a member that has done this for others, it would be greatly appreciated.

(I tried a search, but couldn't come up with anything. I saw a lot of people go to Music Box in El Monte, but I didn't see anything about Tommy performing the hack)

TIA!!!!
Old 02-02-10, 06:24 AM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tommy does it.. it does the destination while moving switch.. and the bluetooth hack and all that good stuff
Old 02-02-10, 07:55 AM
jkiamco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joeker
tommy does it.. it does the destination while moving switch.. and the bluetooth hack and all that good stuff
Perfect! I'll give him a call.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-10, 10:33 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Add me to the list of success stories - got it all done today with help from a patient friend

Technique - all your instructions are crystal clear and well written. I've read this entire thread and the nav hack part 1 thread twice over, you have answered the same questions from people over and over again with an incredible amount of patience - it's definitely a mark of character, good on you mate

Oh 1 quick question - The switch I used has 3 prongs in the back - they are labeled - "12V", "A" and "+". Based on a similar switch I had isntalled in may car for another purpose, I wired the 2 wires from pink and white to the "A" and "+" prongs on the switch. The switch does its job - it flips dest entry on and off. However, the orientation of how I wanted it to be seemed to be backwards to I exchanged the wires but it still continues to work the exact same way (I've changed the wires around 3 times) ie Switch in ON position leaves dest entry alone and switch in OFF position enables it. I want to reverse this behavior (personal preference) but switching the wires seems to make no difference, any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-10, 06:56 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xerxes717
Add me to the list of success stories - got it all done today with help from a patient friend

Technique - all your instructions are crystal clear and well written. I've read this entire thread and the nav hack part 1 thread twice over, you have answered the same questions from people over and over again with an incredible amount of patience - it's definitely a mark of character, good on you mate

Oh 1 quick question - The switch I used has 3 prongs in the back - they are labeled - "12V", "A" and "+". Based on a similar switch I had isntalled in may car for another purpose, I wired the 2 wires from pink and white to the "A" and "+" prongs on the switch. The switch does its job - it flips dest entry on and off. However, the orientation of how I wanted it to be seemed to be backwards to I exchanged the wires but it still continues to work the exact same way (I've changed the wires around 3 times) ie Switch in ON position leaves dest entry alone and switch in OFF position enables it. I want to reverse this behavior (personal preference) but switching the wires seems to make no difference, any ideas?

Thanks!
I don't believe the wires will matter as the switch is either connecting the circuit ("on") or breaking the circuit ("off"). The only way to do it the other way is to turn the switch upside down
Old 02-28-10, 05:22 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
I don't believe the wires will matter as the switch is either connecting the circuit ("on") or breaking the circuit ("off"). The only way to do it the other way is to turn the switch upside down
Thanks Technique, I actually figured this out as I was going to bed last night But thanks for your response as always and keep up the great work you're doing here!
Old 02-28-10, 06:47 PM
BlackjackM
Driver School Candidate

Will this work for the "upgraded" 2010 Nav unit?
Old 02-28-10, 06:51 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jkiamco
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but....

Is there anyone in SoCal that can perform this hack flawlessly at a reasonable rate? I just don't trust myself with all these damn wires and don't have the time to devote to it. So if anyone can refer me to a shop or a member that has done this for others, it would be greatly appreciated.

(I tried a search, but couldn't come up with anything. I saw a lot of people go to Music Box in El Monte, but I didn't see anything about Tommy performing the hack)

TIA!!!!
Tommy did this yesterday on my ride. Works perfectly.
Old 03-20-10, 01:01 PM
LyleBeach
Driver

Originally Posted by BlackjackM
Will this work for the "upgraded" 2010 Nav unit?
Also would like to know.....
Old 03-24-10, 11:37 AM
BlackjackM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LyleBeach
Also would like to know.....
Anyone know?
Old 03-24-10, 01:48 PM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

I can't say for sure, but I think it will. I installed the prestigious society wiring harness in my 2010 and it works great. I believe the harness does exactly what the wire cutting and adding a switch does. I chose the harness because I didn't want to cut any wires and wanted a quick way to put it back to "factory" if needed.
Old 03-24-10, 03:13 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSwoosh
I can't say for sure, but I think it will. I installed the prestigious society wiring harness in my 2010 and it works great. I believe the harness does exactly what the wire cutting and adding a switch does. I chose the harness because I didn't want to cut any wires and wanted a quick way to put it back to "factory" if needed.
What I would like to see is a hybrid solution.

I don't want to cut my wiring, but I would like to mount a toyota/scion switch (mentioned in the "cutting thread") by the coin holder, so it looks like a factory setup (rather then the switch that comes with the prestigious society wiring harness...not to mention the $300 price tag)
Old 05-05-10, 08:22 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Best switch for this mod

Howdy y'all - I have done a bit of research to find the best switch for this mod, and here's what I found!

Toyota makes a fog light switch for late model Tacomas that fits the bill perfectly and matches the OEM switches exactly and is a simple on/off style switch.

The Toyota parts you need are:
Qty-1: 84160-04010, Switch Assy, Fog $39.09/ea
Qty-1: 90980-11090, Housting, Connector $2.88/ea
Qty-2: 82998-12340, Terminal, Repair $4.85/ea

Total cost: $51.67 plus shipping

I got my parts from Conicelli Toyota (www.partznet.com)

I didn't want to fool with lighting the switch, so I am just leaving two of the switch terminals unused that would normally be on the circuit for switch lighting. You can see in the photos which terminals to wire. I found the schematic on the 'net and tested it with an ohmmeter to make sure it was legit and it is. Happy mod'ing!

Sorry for the premature post cuz I haven't actually installed it yet, but I should have final install photos (with better lighting) this weekend...
Old 05-06-10, 05:36 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Trumpanache: Definitely post pics. Good find!
Old 05-09-10, 08:36 PM
Trumpanche
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking All done!

Thanks for everyone who contributed to these posts - the install went very well and I could not have done it without y'all! As promised, here are some pictures of the Tacoma switch install. The switch works perfectly. I had to make the same adjustment to the switch socket as previously mentioned for other toyota switches (i.e. grind a little bit on the top right side of the hole).

Here is the car with the trim panel removed and the wires pulled over. The lower switch blank was easier to access, so that's the one I used.

Here is the switch all wired up with the connector on.

After trying to shove the switch in for a while, it as clear that some grinding was needed. You can see the white mark on the switch socket where the interference was...

Here is the socket ground down (I used a dremel) so that the switch slid in no problem.

And voila! The final product:

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch