IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlamp Washers Modification (Disconnecting them from windshield washers)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 02:18 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlamp Washers Modification (Disconnecting them from windshield washers)

On the ISx50, if your headlights are on, and you use the windshield washers, the headlamp washers will automatically activate... I didn't like this... There is a separate button for the headlamp washers that activates the washers so why would you want them to go on automatically if you just want to clean a small smudge on your windshield?

So, this is a DIY on how to disconnect these two systems so that when you wash your windshield, the headlamp washers don't activate automatically... Full pics are on my website (in my sig) as well...

I want to give a HUGE thanks to lobuxracer for all his help... He basically figured this whole thing out, I just did the execution since he doesn't have the HW option on his IS... Thanks again lobux...

HW DIY MOD:

They key is to prevent the signal from the windshield washer from ever getting to the headlamp washer... This is done at the main engine fuse/relay box under the hood... It's located on the drivers side near the front of the car...

This is the box, held in place by 3 clips shown... Simply press on the single clip near the front and pull the lid off...

The wire in question is under the Front Connector Block, Connector 2F, PIN 8... To remove this Block, there are two clips on either side of it... Press both at the same time and pull it out...

This is the connector underneath the Front Connector Block that we are interested in... Unplug this...

The wire we are interested in is right in the middle, PIN 8... It is an orange/blue striped wire with silver paint markings...

I used a tiny 1.5mm flat head jewelers screwdriver to release the wire from the connector... You can then use heat shrink or electrical tape to tape up the end of the wire and tuck it away... Alternatively, if you want, you can just cut this wire and be done with it... But, I decided that when I get rid of the car, I wanted to re-enable this feature so at that time I can just remove the tape/heat shrink and stick the wire back into the connector...

Put things back together and you are done... I tested it afterwards and it works like a charm... The only time the headlamp washers will activate is when you press the headlamp washers button...

This is a VERY simple hack... Enjoy!
Old 12-15-06, 03:17 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Badass!! You two amaze me lol
Old 12-15-06, 03:40 PM
Shinedown
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWESOME write up and pics! Big thanks Technique.
Old 12-15-06, 03:50 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

very nice, you're the man!
Old 12-15-06, 04:06 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Anyone else try this. No offence (or proof), but how do I know this doesn't disable ABS, airbags or something else? Any pics of the wiring diagrams you can provide?
Old 12-15-06, 04:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Actually, you need to wrap the wire in tin foil to prevent transmitting an RF signal to Japan via satellite. The signal lets Toyota know you've disabled this feature.

This was an easy one, just a little tricky because I didn't have it on my car and the wire is not present unless you have the HW option.
Old 12-15-06, 05:28 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you serious?
Old 12-15-06, 05:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

No way man, that was an angry tirade.
Old 12-15-06, 08:33 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Actually, you need to wrap the wire in tin foil to prevent transmitting an RF signal to Japan via satellite. The signal lets Toyota know you've disabled this feature.
HAHAHAHA! Great job, guys, thanks!

Javier
Old 12-15-06, 08:37 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

You guys are welcome... Glad to help...
Old 12-15-06, 09:11 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks Technique and Lobuxracer. Great mod and excellent write-up. This one is definitely on my to-do list!
Old 12-16-06, 06:58 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question. Does it also spray with the light switch in auto mode, 'cause I never knew it did that until you mentioned it.
Old 12-16-06, 07:01 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Question. Does it also spray with the light switch in auto mode, 'cause I never knew it did that until you mentioned it.
The headlamp washers will ONLY operate when the headlights are on... So, if the headlamp switch is in auto mode, and it's daylight out, the washers will NOT operate...

But, if it's nighttime, and you are in auto mode, and your lights are on, the washers will operate...

This is true both before and after the hack...
Old 12-16-06, 08:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
But, if it's nighttime, and you are in auto mode, and your lights are on, the washers will operate...

This is true both before and after the hack...
Now you've got me confused. I thought your hack severs the connection between the windshield washers and the headlamp washers, so washing the windscreen at night with the switch in AUTO should not wash the headlamps?
Old 12-16-06, 08:41 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Now you've got me confused. I thought your hack severs the connection between the windshield washers and the headlamp washers, so washing the windscreen at night with the switch in AUTO should not wash the headlamps?
Correct. My hack severs the connection between the windshield washers and headlamp washers. It doesn't matter when you wash the windshield (night or day, headlamps on, off, or auto), the HW will never activate when you wash the windshield.

On a totally unrelated matter, the headlamp washers will only function if the headlamps are on. This could be hacked as well, but I wouldn't wash my headlamps if it wasn't nighttime.

Quick Reply: Headlamp Washers Modification (Disconnecting them from windshield washers)