IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer says they HAVE TO install front license plate????

Old 12-14-06, 12:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

They broke the law. Let's revisit my other post:

From here.

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:
(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.
(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:
(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.
(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.
(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
I don't think it could be much more clear about what the law requires.

Again, it amazes me that people would risk fines to support a fashion statement.
Old 12-14-06, 01:28 AM
khoongy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plate or no plate, the front of the 2IS is freakin sweet. i agree with you that it does look better without though =) i got my car from longo too. im not too happy with the service there as well. im not trying to be a racist or anything, but i overheard their white salesman talking to an asian salesman. the white salesman said he doesnt want to deal with the asian customers because they are cheap and try to bargain too much. i think its true to an extent, but i did not need to hear that. especially when i am asian and standing 5 feet away from him. =) the lexus collision center @ longo is REALLY bad. my car has been in for almost 3 weeks for minor damage. in the 3 weeks my car has been gone, i have received only 1 update. when i took my previous car to marcos, i got updates every 3-4 days and the car finished incredibly fast. they also changed my oil and detailed my car free of charge. =) why didnt i take my car to marcos this time? because i thought that lexus collision center could order the lexus factory-made parts to replace my damaged parts. but, i guess i was wrong because the repairman said it would be hard to blend the crystal white color with its surroundings.

OKAY I TOTALLY WENT OFF TOPIC !

in conclusion, license plates suck. =)
Old 12-14-06, 02:38 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
You have not signed a contract yet? Don't buy the car! That will show them how serious you are about the holes.
wow...that's probably one of the most funniest things I've heard in the last few weeks!
Old 12-14-06, 03:31 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They broke the law. Let's revisit my other post:

From here.

I don't think it could be much more clear about what the law requires.

Again, it amazes me that people would risk fines to support a fashion statement.
Finally, some sanity regarding this issue!

When did it occur that the type of car someone owns would absolve them from following the law? In this case, a law that is very simple, straight-forward, and easy to follow.

Speaking of the law, look very closely at the agreement that a California purchaser would have to sign (if they are seeking to have the dealer not install the front brackets) and note the portion where it states that they "acknowledge" the law. That's the provision that will cost you a LOT of money and trouble if you don't follow the requirements (to always display an attached a front license plate) of the law.

One of the responsibilities that one automatically assumes when they purchase and drive a motor vehicle is the responsibility to obey and observe ALL laws associated with owning and operating a motor vehicle. It's not "pick and choose" or "multiple choice" when it comes to following the law - ALL means ALL. Otherwise, feel free to walk or take public transportation, which is what happens to folks when their driving privileges are revoked by a State's licensing authority.

To end on a humorous note. Someone wrote that they liked the "sleek" look of their car without a front license plate. That comment reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer "adopted" a stretch of the N.Y. Throughway and decided that the road would look much "sleeker" without the lane markings. I suppose that, sometimes, fashion has to step aside for pragmatism.
Old 12-14-06, 04:19 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Those of you who are saying it's stupid or wrongfully illegal to ask the dealership not to drill the bumper clearly don't understand the situation very well.

It is NOT illegal to have a car that is not drilled for a license plate. Some people prefer to mount the plate in other, more attractive ways, that don't include actually drilling into a $35-45k car. So why is it so wrong to ask the dealership not to drill?

When you see official Lexus photos of the IS, none of them have a license plate drilled into the front of the car. That's because aesthetically, it's unattractive. Some people prefer to use double-sided tape so that they have the freedom to move it around as they see fit.

The point is, it's THEIR car, not yours, and it's NOT illegal to ask the dealership not to drill it. If it was, then there wouldn't be an available waiver to sign, and the dealership would automatically drill no matter what the customer requested. So stop complaining.
Old 12-14-06, 05:02 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Reyngel
Those of you who are saying it's stupid or wrongfully illegal to ask the dealership not to drill the bumper clearly don't understand the situation very well.

It is NOT illegal to have a car that is not drilled for a license plate. Some people prefer to mount the plate in other, more attractive ways, that don't include actually drilling into a $35-45k car. So why is it so wrong to ask the dealership not to drill?

When you see official Lexus photos of the IS, none of them have a license plate drilled into the front of the car. That's because aesthetically, it's unattractive. Some people prefer to use double-sided tape so that they have the freedom to move it around as they see fit.

The point is, it's THEIR car, not yours, and it's NOT illegal to ask the dealership not to drill it. If it was, then there wouldn't be an available waiver to sign, and the dealership would automatically drill no matter what the customer requested. So stop complaining.

I suggest that you refer to the relevant law of a State regarding how a dealer may be required to install a "bracket" or some other means of "securing" a front license plate. Because a license plate is the legal property of the licensing authority, it needs to be kept reasonably safe from loss or theft. Therefore, using a means other than screws or bolts, such as double-sided tape, would not be a sufficient means of compliance.

Also, expressing an opinion that is different from someone else's is not, necessarily, a complaint.
Old 12-14-06, 05:28 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I suggest that you refer to the relevant law of a State regarding how a dealer may be required to install a "bracket" or some other means of "securing" a front license plate. Because a license plate is the legal property of the licensing authority, it needs to be kept reasonably safe from loss or theft. Therefore, using a means other than screws or bolts, such as double-sided tape, would not be a sufficient means of compliance.

Also, expressing an opinion that is different from someone else's is not, necessarily, a complaint.

Scroll up in this thread.

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:
(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.
(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:
(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.
(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.
(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
It says "(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate." The "or other means of securing a front license plate" part means that someone can used double-sided tape. It means that, by law, they can request the dealership NOT to drill, but instead provide some double-sided tape. No "bracket" is mandatory. Thus, if someone doesn't want to have his bumper drilled into, he's entitled to his wish, and it's within the requirements of the law.

Regarding the "complaint," I was referring to the previous comment by lobuxracer:

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The tone of that implies a complaing of people trying to inquire about their bumpers being drilled, to which you agreed with him.
Old 12-14-06, 07:07 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm going to call the General Sales Manager in 10 min its almost 7am here in so cal.

If my car has holes in it then im refusing the sale.

Never gonna get my IS.
Old 12-14-06, 07:16 AM
Acinonyx
Driver School Candidate

Just out of curiosity (since I'm moving to CA)
what is the solution for front plates? I'm coming from North Carolina(no front plates).
Do you:
a) hope you don't get caught
b) zip-tie to the grill (ala the S2000 solution)
c) something else
Thanks
Old 12-14-06, 07:29 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Acinonyx
Just out of curiosity (since I'm moving to CA)
what is the solution for front plates? I'm coming from North Carolina(no front plates).
Do you:
a) hope you don't get caught
b) zip-tie to the grill (ala the S2000 solution)
c) something else
Thanks
I've been driving 9 years in so cal. Pulled over numerous times speeding, red light, etc. NEVER once the cop mentioned anything about me not having a front plate. Maybe I was lucky I dont know. I dont care I'm NEVER having a front plate on.
Old 12-14-06, 07:32 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in IL and my sales person asked me if I wanted the front plates mounted. I said no and they didn't install it. (I'm lazy, so I copied Flipsonic's) post.

Also, I've been stopped 3 times and none of the times was the license plate (or lack thereof) mentioned!
Old 12-14-06, 08:24 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
If my car has holes in it then im refusing the sale.

Never gonna get my IS.
Yeah, that will teach them. I'm sure they'll just sell it to someone else.
Old 12-14-06, 08:27 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

It's funny - I asked my salesperson to have it done to my GS350 and he actually tried to talk me out of it! I guess it just depends on who you talk to.
Old 12-14-06, 08:31 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

I will never put a front plate on a car- and if the dealer insisted on drilling holes- I would walk away- because I am a stubborn a**hole-

I hate front license plates on new cars- (black plates on a classic look good)

When we bought my wife's ES330- I told them no plate- they drilled- I told him I wanted to see the GM- luckily they had another one on the lot- same color/ options- they gave me another car-

Breaking the law or not, thats just me- but legally I was told they just have to give me the things I need to install the plate when I get it-

they dont need to actually install it-
Old 12-14-06, 08:36 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gotten tickets for not having a front plate, but in most cases, they gave the the ticket for the plate instead of the moving violation that they pulled me over for. They were going to give me a ticket for something, so I'm glad the chose the non-moving violation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer says they HAVE TO install front license plate????