IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS350 Owner here. Sharing our buying experience too.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 08:37 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New IS350 Owner here. Sharing our buying experience too.

My wife just got a 2007 IS350 last night. Smokey Granite with Black interior, Luxury Package, Navi, Park Assist, and some accessories. It was raining last night so we didn't pick it up. Today the sales person is off, so we scheduled the pick-up tomorrow.

We didn't know wanting that color combo and options would be such a hassle. We spent several hours at one dealership and came up with a deal on Saturday. The sales said he located one and would be able to find out its availability on Monday. When Monday came, nope it's gone, so he said. Then he located other color choices, options and even 2006's, but that's not what we wanted.

The deal breaker for us was that, he said he located a silver in Ohio (we're in IL) and he could truck it over, but it will be $800-$900 extra for us. First of all, it's NOT the color we want; secondly, I don't agree that WE have to pay for the transport. It just didn't make sense to me.

So I went ahead and searched for the car in a larger vicinity (50 miles radius, not that "large" actually), and I found the EXACT car we want 30 miles away. We went there last night, when bargaining the price, the sales clearly stated that (and showed me his inventory list) this particular car is a "no trade", meaning that it can't be traded with other dealerships. Wow, really didn't know that this color/option combo is in such high demand. We ended up getting it for the same price as the one we got from previous dealership, only difference is that the other one had rear spoiler but this one doesn't.

So, practically, we are paying a little bit more (still ~$3500 off msrp) than the first dealership because of the lack of spoiler, but are happy that we can get the exact car we want. We didn't care for the spoiler anyway.

Last edited by Wai; 12-14-06 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-12-06, 08:55 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wai
My wife just got a 2007 IS350 last night. Smokey Granite with Black interior, Luxury Package, Navi, Park Assist, and some accessories. It was raining last night so we didn't pick it up. Today the sales person is off, so we scheduled the pick-up tomorrow.

We didn't know wanting that color combo and options would be such a hassle. We spent several hours at one dealership and came up with a deal on Saturday. The sales said he located one and would be able to find out its availability on Monday. When Monday came, nope it's gone, so he said. Then he located other color choices, options and even 2006's, but that's not what we wanted.

The deal breaker for us was that, he said he located a silver in Ohio (we're in IL) and he could truck it over, but it will be $800-$900 extra for us. First of all, it's NOT the color we want; secondly, I don't agree that WE have to pay for the transport. It just didn't make sense to me.

So I went ahead and searched for the car in a larger vicinity (50 miles radius, not that "large" actually), and I found the EXACT car we want 30 miles away. We went there last night, when bargaining the price, the sales clearly stated that (and showed me his inventory list) this particular car is a "no trade", meaning that it can't be traded with other dealerships. Wow, really didn't know that this color/option combo is in such high demand. We ended up getting it for the same price as the one we got from previous dealership, only difference is that the other one had rear spoiler but this one doesn't.

So, practically, we are paying a little bit more (still ~$3500 off msrp) than the first dealership because of the lack of spoiler, but are happy that we can get the exact car we want. We didn't care for the spoiler anyway.

Congrats and welcome to CL. Post some pictures...
Old 12-12-06, 09:17 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats and Welcome to the Club!!!

It's good to hear that after all the hassles, you found your car. Don't worry about the spoiler -- you can always get one. Also, some aftermarket spoilers may be better looking. Just do a search and you'll find a bunch of different kinds on our forums.

Post pics whenever you can!
Old 12-12-06, 09:17 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jman-is350
Congrats and welcome to CL. Post some pictures...
For sure! I'll take pics of the IS when we pick it up tomorrow.

At the mean time, here are some pics of my other cars :

Old 12-14-06, 09:30 AM
Wai
Pole Position

We picked up the car yesterday. I will post pics later on tonight.

Questions tho....

How do you guys feel about the extended warranty? I have confident that Lexus can last forever, but seeing that how the navi, and most importantly the climate control are all linked to the center screen control, if that thing is fuxored, it would be VERY expensive to repair/replace.

What do you guys think??
Old 12-14-06, 09:40 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

congrats and welcome. hope you and your wife have many happy miles w/ your new 2is.
Old 12-14-06, 09:44 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

If only more 2nd Gen IS/ Lexus owners knew about this website. You've come to the right place my fellow Lexus lover. Here you can find help on issues, opinions from other Lexus owners, and a good place to vent. As corny as it may sound, we are definitely a tight knit community...or evolving into one.

From now on, whenever I see another person driving a Lexus vehicle, I am going to walk up to that person and promote this website like it were my own.
Old 12-14-06, 09:56 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wai
We picked up the car yesterday. I will post pics later on tonight.

Questions tho....

How do you guys feel about the extended warranty? I have confident that Lexus can last forever, but seeing that how the navi, and most importantly the climate control are all linked to the center screen control, if that thing is fuxored, it would be VERY expensive to repair/replace.

What do you guys think??
You can add the extended warranty later for the same price.
This will give you and your car time to get a feel for concerns.
Old 12-14-06, 10:13 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Go for the ext warranty if you plan on keeping the car!! Just think of how much the power seat ALONE would cost at 90.00 an hour plus parts and tax?? Probably close to 800.00 if not more! Go w/the factory warranty only and 0 deduct!!! Let's say you do buy it at a later time, when your car has 45,000 miles & your a month or two from no warranty, we have price increases on the Service contracts almost every year. Now they're in the drivers seat cuz who feels comfortable driving a 45k car w/only a powertrain warranty which we all know is usually the LEAST of the problems and now you need one? That's where you'll pay more.

Last edited by Soda; 12-14-06 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 10:26 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Soda
Go for the ext warranty if you plan on keeping the car!! Just think of how much the power seat ALONE would cost at 90.00 an hour plus parts and tax?? Probably close to 800.00 if not more! Go w/the factory warranty only and 0 deduct!!! Let's say you do buy it at a later time, when your car has 45,000 miles & your a month or two from no warranty, we have price increases on the Service contracts almost every year. Now they're in the drivers seat cuz who feels comfortable driving a 45k car w/only a powertrain warranty which we all know is usually the LEAST of the problems and now you need one? That's where you'll pay more.

Well even if the Lexus warranty goes up in price, there is always Warranty Direct...
Old 12-14-06, 10:55 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Yeah but who wants an aftermarket warranty??? Usually they don't cover what the factory does and/or the cust has to be REIMBURSED. I don't understand why people get so cheap when it comes to warranties when spending so much money on the car...Don't think the service dept gets rich by oil changes! Lets say you pay 1800 for a 7yr 100k platinum...0 deductible, if you have your car in the shop ONE time for that period of time after your factory warranty is up, it'll probably pay for itself. To me it's like driving w/out insurance. You never know. And the first 3yrs STATISTICALLY are the most reliable years.
Old 12-14-06, 11:25 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for the kind words and input on the ext warranty. Guess we would be keeping it.

Also, thanks to this forum for reminding me about the $750 coupon!!!!!!!

I totally forgot about that. We received that coupon in the email back in Sept, but didn't think about buying a car at that time, so we just deleted it. Then when I was browsing this forum, it reminded me about this coupon again but I can't find it anymore.

So I called up Lexus Customer Service, provided my information for verification, and the faxed the coupon right over to the dealership where we would be picking the car up. So afterall, we are getting over $4000 off on a 07. We are very happy with the deal.

Last edited by Wai; 12-14-06 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 01:30 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Soda
Yeah but who wants an aftermarket warranty??? Usually they don't cover what the factory does and/or the cust has to be REIMBURSED. I don't understand why people get so cheap when it comes to warranties when spending so much money on the car...Don't think the service dept gets rich by oil changes! Lets say you pay 1800 for a 7yr 100k platinum...0 deductible, if you have your car in the shop ONE time for that period of time after your factory warranty is up, it'll probably pay for itself. To me it's like driving w/out insurance. You never know. And the first 3yrs STATISTICALLY are the most reliable years.

Obviously you've never used Warranty Direct. VERY good reputation. And I'm not forced into using the Lexus service department if I choose not to. That said, I may go with the Lexus extended warranty, but not until the initial warranty is close to used up. What happens if something happens to the car and you decide not to keep it afterall? You're not going to recoup that money in the sale.
Old 12-14-06, 03:14 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Originally Posted by homer4598
Obviously you've never used Warranty Direct. VERY good reputation. And I'm not forced into using the Lexus service department if I choose not to. That said, I may go with the Lexus extended warranty, but not until the initial warranty is close to used up. What happens if something happens to the car and you decide not to keep it afterall? You're not going to recoup that money in the sale.
No, haven't dealt w/them. If something happens to the car and you decide to sell it then the customer buying the car will have more piece of mind rather than buying a car that's as is. Otherwise yes, it did cost you money. But you still never know...(I gotta defend the warranties because I'm F&I for a Toyota Dealership) LOVE EM!!!
Old 12-14-06, 03:34 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Sounds like you and I have the exact same car. Where in Illinois are you? What dealership was it?

Quick Reply: New IS350 Owner here. Sharing our buying experience too.