IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying advice? (Toronto)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 10:10 AM
LEXCESS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=josephdoc;2289527]The new IS has poor performance in snow regardless AWD or not. I would not recommend this car for winter use especially Great Toronto Area is covered with snow for 6 months long in a year.

If the budget is cool, try to look into a GS and make sure to get clear-bra because you will see a lot of paint-chipping action on the front hood near grill area because of the rock salt on the road.

Prisewise... never accept first offer, and good luck with your bucks.[/QUOT

I appreciate your help but right now in Toronto it's practicaly convertible weather. It is freakish for this time of year. I think wether or not it snows it doesn't matter what type of vehicle you drive, over here you see more SUV's in ditch's than you do cars, Rear wheel drive or not. It's all about the driver and some decent tires.
Old 12-11-06, 10:23 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is normal for us nowadays. We don't usually see a meaningful snowfall till late December.

When I was younger, it was early November for the snow and it stayed for quite a while. Still, roads get plowed quickly.
Old 12-11-06, 11:23 AM
Blahzay
Driver School Candidate

I did quite a bit of legwork this past April when I was buying my 2006 IS 250 AWD. Don Valley North Lexus treated me quite rudely...made me feel like my business wasn't the least bit important to them.

Scarborough Lexus were very professional, however they refused to negotiate on price with me. I told them that I don't pay MSRP for cars, and walked out.

After that I came across Northwest Lexus. I dealt with a specific salesman there (not sure if its cool to mention his name in this post or not, but PM me if you are interested) who was very fair and willing to negotiate. Needless to say, he got my business.

Those are the only 3 dealerships I've had experience with, but Northwest was the only one that didn't leave me with a bad taste...
Old 12-11-06, 11:31 AM
LEXCESS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blahzay
I did quite a bit of legwork this past April when I was buying my 2006 IS 250 AWD. Don Valley North Lexus treated me quite rudely...made me feel like my business wasn't the least bit important to them.

Scarborough Lexus were very professional, however they refused to negotiate on price with me. I told them that I don't pay MSRP for cars, and walked out.

After that I came across Northwest Lexus. I dealt with a specific salesman there (not sure if its cool to mention his name in this post or not, but PM me if you are interested) who was very fair and willing to negotiate. Needless to say, he got my business.

Those are the only 3 dealerships I've had experience with, but Northwest was the only one that didn't leave me with a bad taste...
I sent you a PM.
Old 12-11-06, 12:26 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by josephdoc
The new IS has poor performance in snow regardless AWD or not. I would not recommend this car for winter use especially Great Toronto Area is covered with snow for 6 months long in a year.

If the budget is cool, try to look into a GS and make sure to get clear-bra because you will see a lot of paint-chipping action on the front hood near grill area because of the rock salt on the road.

Prisewise... never accept first offer, and good luck with your bucks.
wow, where are you from? I don't ever remember seeing 6 months worth of snow in Toronto/GTA and i've lived here all my life.

I don't think the AWD is as good as Audi's Quattro, but the amount of snow i was driving on the other day gave me confidence that the car is good.
Old 12-11-06, 06:44 PM
ciparis
Rookie

His old car is a Camry and he managed pretty well with it there, so I think an AWD IS would still be a big improvement. I don't know if the GS is worth 15k more (configuring both with NAV), but I'm going to suggest he drive both just to be thorough.

I'd like to help out by getting a deal set up from here, though, so he doesn't have to deal with negotiating. He's in Etobicoke.

Last edited by ciparis; 12-11-06 at 07:08 PM.