IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best place to install a switch in the IS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 08:16 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best place to install a switch in the IS

I would like to install a small rocker switch in my IS. About 1 inch tall by 1/2 inch wide... I am thinking the best place is one of the dead panels where the headlamp washer/read sun shade is:

Any ideas on the proper way to remove the entire panel (with trunk/gas buttons and all) or can you remove just the blanks?

Or anyone have other suggestions on where to mount the switch?
Old 12-10-06, 08:31 AM
B@tm@n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what will the swith be?
Old 12-10-06, 08:34 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B@tm@n
For what will the swith be?
See the webpage in my sig, here's the exact link:

http://www.infoarena.com/lexus/navhack/
Old 12-10-06, 08:49 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

I presume it's not possible to get the same kind of switch already used in the car from Lexus?
Old 12-10-06, 09:00 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by homer4598
I presume it's not possible to get the same kind of switch already used in the car from Lexus?
You mean like another switch for headlamp washers or whatever? Those switches, as far as I know, don't have 2 distinct positions... Meaning, they only make contact (2nd position) while you hold the switch down... I need a switch that will remain in either position, like a light switch... I don't think any of the switches from lexus for that panel do that...
Old 12-10-06, 09:53 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

The Snow/Normal/Performance switch is a 3 way.

Don't know the full range of Lexus switches due to all of the options, but I'd bet one is a 2 way though - perhaps the heated windshield one from Japan/Europe?
Old 12-10-06, 10:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Might be. But I'd bet in any case if the switch comes from Lexus/Toyota, it will be at least $65. There is nothing electrical/electronic from them that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 12-10-06, 10:24 AM
eddo1
Driver

Here is a switch from toyota that was made for a camry. I think it should fit in that space. I was going to use it for my rear fog mod, which I'm researching. I called the local toyota dealer, it needs to be special ordered for about $20. But if it fits perfect I think it's worth the cost.
Let me know how you take out that panel cuz I just figured it'll pop out

Check this page:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/switch/
Old 12-10-06, 11:23 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When i installed a switch for my Switched Nav Hack, I chose the panel next to the gas and trunk switch.

I currently been using a different switch then the one commonly sold in hardware stores.

it is by Digi Key. Very nice switch!

Here is the pic where i have used for reference.

Old 12-10-06, 11:31 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I would like to install a small rocker switch in my IS. About 1 inch tall by 1/2 inch wide... I am thinking the best place is one of the dead panels where the headlamp washer/read sun shade is:

Any ideas on the proper way to remove the entire panel (with trunk/gas buttons and all) or can you remove just the blanks?

Or anyone have other suggestions on where to mount the switch?
That picture is from a 2006 IS. The 2007 is different. Update this thread with your 07 panel so we can help you better.
Old 12-10-06, 01:04 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
Or can you remove just the blanks?
Most Toyota/Lexus products have similar blanks. They can be removed as they are just snapped in. I mounted a garage door opener on adhesive velcro on my MR2 and when I tried to "un-velcro the opener it pulled the blank out..easy to snap back in. My 4Runner has similar blanks. As far as switch gear I would suggest aToyota product for compatability and seamless fit and consistent appearance. BTW I really like the black saphire. I also special ordered my 350 but could not get the Stirling interior that I wanted with the BS exterior...so I opted for the SGM. Not sure why this combo is not available in Canada. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-06, 02:03 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by istundra
When i installed a switch for my Switched Nav Hack, I chose the panel next to the gas and trunk switch.

I currently been using a different switch then the one commonly sold in hardware stores.

it is by Digi Key. Very nice switch!

Here is the pic where i have used for reference.
Can you post a pic of your installed switch?
Old 12-10-06, 02:07 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NGG
Most Toyota/Lexus products have similar blanks. They can be removed as they are just snapped in. I mounted a garage door opener on adhesive velcro on my MR2 and when I tried to "un-velcro the opener it pulled the blank out..easy to snap back in. My 4Runner has similar blanks. As far as switch gear I would suggest aToyota product for compatability and seamless fit and consistent appearance. BTW I really like the black saphire. I also special ordered my 350 but could not get the Stirling interior that I wanted with the BS exterior...so I opted for the SGM. Not sure why this combo is not available in Canada. Hope this helps.
Not these blanks They are very big and clipped in firmly. I will take pics tonight and post everything I did... I still need to locate a new rocker switch as the one I bought is too small... Pics in a few hours...

BTW, I did not remove that panel, I removed the panel to the left of it... Anyway, I'll follow up with details tonight.
Old 12-10-06, 03:19 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I removed the side instrument panel cover to get to the back of the 3 buttons:

You can barely squeeze the clips holding in the blank with some tools, which is what I did. The blank then comes out.

Here are pictures of the blank:

As you can see, you really can't "cut out" an area to mount a switch, unless the switch was TINY... And the plastic is VERY thick (.25") and hard, so it would be difficult to cut even if you could find a mini-rocker switch.

So, here is a picture of my instrument panel with the switch coming out. Unfortunately, the only rocker switch I could find is too small, I wrapped a rubber band around it so it doesn't fall through the cutout. I am going to order that toyota switch someone mentioned above and see if it fits... The size of the cutout is about 1.6" tall and .75" wide. Pretty big... None of the rocker switches at digi key would fit, they are all too small...

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 12-10-06, 04:46 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Nice, I think the Toyota switch is the way to go - nothing else is going to fit right unless you could order something from an electronics supply catalog thats the right size.

Now you have me wondering if I can swap my 2006 trunk and fuel release switches/panel for the 2007... Hmm.

Quick Reply: Best place to install a switch in the IS