Oui Pompous Rich Kid

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 08:36 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oui Pompous Rich Kid

Okay.. so this is kinda rough.

I'm on my way out the building to find my car, so I can drive to another building and get a problem fixed.

Sure enough I come across these two older gentleman standing behind my car and talking. They have seen me driving it and are complaining about how the youth have their parents purchasing everything for them. I was called a pompous rich kid! Now that is FAR from the truth. Just because I drive a nice car doesn't mean I have a big head about it! Besides everything about that car is 100% mine, thus my handle.. IS_MINE!

Anyway, since they are standing behind my car and don't realize I am coming upon them I unlock my car and they both turn around. Seriously, I wanted to say a few things.. but instead, I commented about the weather and excused myself around them. I was polite, like I usually am!! Very frustrating to say the least..

Anyone else ever have this problem? I realize that Honda kids get a rep for driving civics, but.. just because a younger audience is drivng a nice car.. doesn't make us POMPOUS rich kids. Geeze. Sorry, needed to vent. Anyone else have this problem? And if this is out of context of the forum, sorry but still.. needed to vent!
Old 12-08-06, 08:39 AM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

I agree!!!
Old 12-08-06, 08:43 AM
scawacs
Driver

yep...it is a stereotype... rich=pompous. im glad you didnt prove their stereotype right though, cuz thats the worst thing to do.
Old 12-08-06, 08:49 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

What A holes!

I'm sure I will have the same experiences when my IS comes in! I may be 23 but I look 16. Like yourself, I am paying for 100% of my IS, no help from Mommy and Daddy (although the Accord Coupe they bought me when I turned 16 will be used as a down payment... does that count as help??).

Actually the first person who called me a pompous rich kid was my own mother!! Of course this was after I had gone to the BMW dealership to test drive a 330i. Since she has an RX330, I suppose she knows the value in a Lexus and is much more comfortable with me owning a Lexus vs. a BMW (not like it's her decision anyways!), but I still value her input.

I am going to be extremely proud to call my IS my own. I didn't inherit a large sum of money, nor was I given a large sum of money to invest when I was young like some of the young kids here. I've worked my butt off for it and I am damn proud of it!
Old 12-08-06, 08:51 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be nosy, but how young ARE you? It sounds like this happened at your place of work, right? In which case, you're old enough to have a full-time job, so wouldn't that make it pretty obvious you're old enough to buy your own car?

I've had similar experiences... not at work, but other places. Maybe I should have waited more than five months after graduation to get this car.
Old 12-08-06, 08:56 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i think its you that have the problem. you are young and driving a quite expensive car, duh people are going to think parents. yea i bought mine too at 23 but the majority of people in that age range can't, so its an obvious and non-criticized remark to make.

calm down, drive your car. the best thing to tell them is that you love cars, and thats where your money goes. if anything you'll gain their respect for having a passion
Old 12-08-06, 08:57 AM
revhi
Driver

where are you from? lexus is just an entry level car, which most people in there early 20's can afford.[In my opinion]
Old 12-08-06, 09:00 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by revhi
where are you from? lexus is just an entry level car, which most people in there early 20's can afford.[In my opinion]
"Most" people in their early 20's? ... No. Definitely not even close to true.

The vast majority of people in their early 20's can NOT afford this car. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. Hell, most people at ANY age can't.
Old 12-08-06, 09:04 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
"Most" people in their early 20's? ... No. Definitely not even close to true.

The vast majority of people in their early 20's can NOT afford this car. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. Hell, most people at ANY age can't.
I'm with you on that one.
Old 12-08-06, 09:06 AM
Irishfan
Driver

You should hear some of the comments I've gotten in the Elise. Not only did I buy both the it and the IS with absolutely no "help," my wife and I own another car, as well as our house. Alright, well, the bank owns the house, but y'know.

My favorite was this old guy in an RV pulled next to me at a stoplight. He gets my attention, and says, "Nice car, you look to young to own it, is it yours?" "Last time I checked. How bout the RV, you look too old to be driving, is it yours?"
Old 12-08-06, 09:08 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Irishfan
You should hear some of the comments I've gotten in the Elise. Not only did I buy both the it and the IS with absolutely no "help," my wife and I own another car, as well as our house. Alright, well, the bank owns the house, but y'know.

My favorite was this old guy in an RV pulled next to me at a stoplight. He gets my attention, and says, "Nice car, you look to young to own it, is it yours?" "Last time I checked. How bout the RV, you look too old to be driving, is it yours?"
How old are you?
Old 12-08-06, 09:09 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by revhi
if Lexus is just an entry level car, so what is civic or corolla?
Old 12-08-06, 09:13 AM
Irishfan
Driver

Originally Posted by Buds
How old are you?
25. My half-asian-ness makes me look closer to maybe 18.
Old 12-08-06, 09:13 AM
sc4canada
Lead Lap

You should have joined in the conversation for a couple of mins THEN unlocked the car LOL just to be a **** disturber. That's what I would have done just to see the look on their faces.
Old 12-08-06, 09:23 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

player-haters FTL.

Quick Reply: Oui Pompous Rich Kid