IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart remark from the lexus dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 02:05 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart remark from the lexus dealer

Ok,I'm a bit ticked so I desided to post this in a thread.

I desided to call the Hawaii local dealer to ask about the navigation. The operator patches me to the new sales rep. I ask him if the IS comes with a reverse camera. He tells me no but they can install an aftermarket one. I say is that because the navigation isn't installed on the Hawaii Lexus cars? He says yes and they can't even order the car with navigation.
<here's the part>
I ask him why not? You can get a working navigation in the BMW, Infiniti cars.. He says without skipping a beat "Becuase Lexus owners can read maps". I'm like what the hell?(Didn't say that out loud) but after a few seconds he says "Oh, hehe I was just kidding. Its becuase there is no map dvd for Hawaii".

As a potential buyer, you don't cut down the customer whos asking for a $2,000 addon.

I wish I took down his name. If I was there I would've yelled at him big time.

Oh yes. I know it sounds funny. But not at the time. There are times for jokes (like when you have the mute on your phone) and times when you keep comments to yourself.
Old 12-06-06, 02:14 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with you. Although his response probably wouldn't have bothered me much, it was kind of arrogant. I mean, how does he know the potential customer doesn't own one of those other cars? Anyway, as I understand it from someone here on CL in the know, Lexus for some reason is having copy right issues with the Hawaii maps from company that provides maps for Lexus. Why it is such a big deal is beyond me when most of the other competing manufacturers like you mentioned including Acura has had no mapping trouble.

Personally I think it is just ridiculous that Lexus can't provide navigation for Hawaii. Some people may think what is the big deal on an Island right? Well, because of that we can't get the DVD player in the IS with ML since it has no navi screen. We also can't get reverse camera in the Lexus cars that have that option like the RX and IS. And worst of all we can't get the self parking system in the new LS460

Last edited by CK6Speed; 12-06-06 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-06-06, 02:22 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

really? I never thought about that. If you bought the LS460 you couldnt get that parking option? Oh sucks to want one here in hawaii.

And for the record, Oahu NEEDS a nav. Next time someone tells you meet them on 133 Mauuapilani Street. Yeah. good luck in trying to figure out how to spell it to look it up. At least with a Nav system, you can guess the name and slowly find the street.
And saying Hawaii (Oahu) is small enough that you don't need it. Next time i'm in a small town in Iowa and the Navigation works in a Lexus, I'm gonna say WTF?? Hehe
Old 12-06-06, 02:26 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Heck, I need navigation for Waikiki alone We locals don't go into Waikiki unless we need to pick up a friend from the hotel. All that one way streets can drive you nuts For now I just use my PDA navigation. I'm getting an Alpine Blackbird portable navigation to mate with my Alpine system later on.
Old 12-06-06, 02:31 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Oh that's too funny! I know exactly what you mean. Try and pickup manapua from chinatown is just as bad. lol. And I use my PDA with gps to navigate in pinch. Just hate the small screen.
Old 12-06-06, 02:39 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations. Obviously he was joking but I think it was meant to be a joke AND a compliment like you guys are smarter than the rest of us? It's not the first time I've heard that response being used from dealers in HI. He was probably trying to "break the ice" and put you more at ease?

On a side note, I wonder when/if Lexus will ever step up and make a navi for you guys?
Old 12-06-06, 03:03 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I know it was a joke. Just not the right kind.
And I doubt he was saying I was smarter, but more likely saying Lexus people are smarter. Which would be a good thing, except I was asking for that item for the Lexus I'm thinking of getting.
Old 12-06-06, 03:07 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by starstreak
And I doubt he was saying I was smarter, but more likely saying Lexus people are smarter. Which would be a good thing, except I was asking for that item for the Lexus I'm thinking of getting.
I guess we have to cut those sales guys a little break sometimes. I know customers have been asking them for navigation for years. They have told me they too themselves have been asking Lexus for navigation for years now but still no go. After all those years I guess they feel they need to come up with some cute responses for disappointed customers.
Old 12-06-06, 03:29 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Youre right. Its not like I was gonna ask to buy the ugly LS model anyways.

Oh. haha. Just joking. Youre car is cool.

See? Still doesnt make it feel any better. And if you say, "Nah, don't bother me" Either you lied about what car you own, Or youre not that sexE in the Lex. ;P
Old 12-06-06, 03:31 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Without repeating myself too much, all I'm saying that comments like that doesn't belong from a sales person. Let alone a Lexus dealer...
Old 12-06-06, 03:31 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Okay guys. Time to take it easy before things go down hill. As long as both of you are on the same page and are joking it is fine. Don't get personal though. Keep it fun and stay within the rules
Old 12-06-06, 03:32 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

kk. its 1:30am. just tired. hehe

Oh and SexE.. Its the few seconds of pause between making the joke and saying nah justkidding that broke it as being a really bad joke. Thats how I could tell he meant the joke. Just that I don't think he meant to move his mouth and say it out loud. hehehe

Last edited by starstreak; 12-06-06 at 03:35 AM. Reason: just so I didnt have to make another post. :)
Old 12-06-06, 05:34 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think much of it.

Why be so uptight, it's just a joke, and plenty of other things to worry about besides that.
Old 12-06-06, 05:52 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
I'm with you it is the principle of the matter.

How does he know you don't drive one of their competitors?

I would have said "Well you just lost this dumb potential customer who drives a BMW.. where is your manager?" Ha!!!!! Now! His back tracking would be the biggest joke.
Old 12-06-06, 06:49 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Wow, what has the world come to where someone can't even make a goofy joke without someone else losing their mind about it...

Quick Reply: Smart remark from the lexus dealer